PVW Drinking vs Hoardinng Question

Gorzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, gurgalunas said:

I also scored a $180 Stagg for a buddy that will get drank.  The 3 pappy that went to a store I bought from are all drinkers (20, 15, 15) and the 2 WLW I just got from the same place will be drinkers (yes, G, I got 2!)

You will see a WLW on the what bourbon are you enjoying thread night of....pinky swear.

Edited by Gorzo

An MD I work with got lucky, found 4 in a store, bought the lot and he doesn’t even like bourbon. Won’t sell them, won’t drink them. Might as well be baseball cards stuck to a bottle. 

Screw this guy. I kid but there's better places to park your money. A nice painting or something.
  • I like it 2

I was fortunate enough to have a bottle of PVW23 given to me five years ago. Opened it imeadiatly and we shared a pour. Savored  it for almost 6 months only having 1 ounce pour every so often when another bourbon connoisseur visited.   The day we finished it, I put the empty in the recycle bin and a co worker's husband asked if he could have it. I said sure not realizing he was going to sell it on eBay for $70.   That was the last time I failed to break an empty unicorn bottle.   BTW, The 23 was by far the least impressive PVW I have tried.  That said, I would definitely buy another at MSRP if given the chance.  Rest assured the broken empty would be in the trash within six months.   

• I like it 1

I’ve drank plenty of Van Winkles, all of the line. But, I don’t care about them too much these days. Honestly flor the last 5 Year’s or so I’ve traded (not through SB.com in any way!) away all the 12+ VWs I’ve had because I think the hype far exceeds what’s in the bottles. Most years I’ll take Parker’s, Four Roses LE’s, and BTAC over VWs in terms of what I actually want to drink. 

• I like it 1

Lucky enough to get a bottle about 2 years ago. Sat on the shelf and then one day I got some good news and thought what the hell. Open it. Now I tend to pour a little when I get more good news. Makes it last a bit longer. 

Anyway, why not. You can't take it with you. Enjoy.

Edited by Government Beard
  • I like it 3

I like the aesthetics of consuming bourbon. 

Not a flipper, nor collector. 

I've never tried any BTAC or PVW

I've told every retailer I know that if they would sell it to me at retail I would open it on the spot and share a dram.  So far, no takers. 

God bless 'em.  If the distillery ain't gonna overcharge, the LLS should at least get secondary prices. 

2 hours ago, Gorzo said:

I am not sure the liqour store would care if it is enjoyed or flipped . You would like to think so, but don't think that is much of a factor. A bourbon drinker and flipper's money has the same affect on the bottom line. This is assuming all things are equal as far as money spent through the year. at the store.  Could be way off base though because there is always the human element  involved (relationships) Don't rember what thread it was in, but remember someone telling a story about cars following a delivery truck around because they got the heads up from the distributor. The shop owner left it all in back and told them they didn't get any. Thinking I would probably. do the same with these types of items. It would distribute solely on a rewards program type program and nix the blind lottery, the people that follow the trucks and people who just  pop in and ask if they  just got their allocation of Pappy or BTAC.....That being said I am guilty of doing everything except following a truck and if I had that info probably would join that club as well.  I wouldn't feel good about it though. HA

I think a lot of the shops listing bottles at or above secondary are taking profit and some are doing it out of anger instead of greed.  Why should a shopkeeper sell at MSRP to some bozo who will crotch shot and list for sale at secondary prices as soon as he hits the parking lot when the shopkeeper has to pay rent, taxes, employees, etc?  If I owned a shop and it were legal I'd offer the limiteds to good customers at MSRP if they pooped the seal and at secondary to anybody else.  

I had the BTAC distro list for my area a few years ago.  I didn't know delivery dates but I knew allocations so I knew who was lying when they claimed they got different numbers than the sheet.  It was a fun game to play.  I've given up the hunt.  If something falls in my lap awesome.  Otherwise there is plenty of delicious readily available stuff to drink.

13 minutes ago, berto said:

I think a lot of the shops listing bottles at or above secondary are taking profit and some are doing it out of anger instead of greed.  Why should a shopkeeper sell at MSRP to some bozo who will crotch shot and list for sale at secondary prices as soon as he hits the parking lot when the shopkeeper has to pay rent, taxes, employees, etc?  If I owned a shop and it were legal I'd offer the limiteds to good customers at MSRP if they pooped the seal and at secondary to anybody else.  

I had the BTAC distro list for my area a few years ago.  I didn't know delivery dates but I knew allocations so I knew who was lying when they claimed they got different numbers than the sheet.  It was a fun game to play.  I've given up the hunt.  If something falls in my lap awesome.  Otherwise there is plenty of delicious readily available stuff to drink.

I am increasingly going towards this mindset. This is my first year of really being into the whole bourbon thing and this is my first experience with the fall LE releases. I have obtained two PVW 15 because of generous family members and maybe a BTAC from a generous SB member. All of my hunting has produced squat.  Between searching for allocated bourbons all summer, fall LE and collecting a few rare old bottles I am exhausted.  Reading comments on other threads over the last few months, I didn't believe people saying they didn't bother with the allocated stuff or LE.  Now I get where they are coming from.  

Tying this back into my original question in the post, maybe this is partially why some of the LE Bourbon is not consumed. It's so tough to get a bottle, that some don't want to go through the process of getting another bottle. Like you stated there is plenty of good bourbon that is readily available. People drink that and use the LE as a decoration for the bar. 

• I like it 2

I have every one of the BTAC and VW line, and every one of them is open except for the PVW23, which I just got this year.  But they get consumed slowly. Am I tempted to flip the 23, or  some of my backup bottles?  Yeah.  But so far I haven't done so.  I've got them all at or near MSRP, so to me it's not a $1000 bottle, it's only a potential windfall - and I'd feel like I betrayed my principles if I flipped it.  I dunno, maybe if my circumstances changed.  For now, I'd rather drink tasty whiskey than have the money.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Clueby, you hit my opinion exactly.  I got a PVW15 for $115, and fully intend to drink it.  Waiting for some buddies to come over for a goose hunt to crack it open, and then probably nurse it for an extended time.  Next year, I hope to score a 20 and do the same.

A store I was at on "delivery day" gave choice in order of those who showed up.  The day was known short-notice by the manager, and when he opened at 800, he announced to the 6 of us there that we would have first choice at noon (delivery was expected around 1100).  As more folks filtered in, he took names, and made a list.  Delivery included 1x PVW23,  1x PVW15,  3 PVW12 lot B, 3x ORVW10, 2x GTS, 2x WLW, 2x THH.

I believe that the first 6 choices were all drinkers.  First guy took PVW15.  Why take the best drinker if you can flip the 23?  Second was the 23 by a guy I know.  He will drink it.  Third I didn't know, but was WLW.  I took GTS 4th, and will open it for sure.  5th and 6th were WLW and GTS, both drinkers to guys I know.  7-9 are to flippers who travelled town and talked about what stuff was worth all day while waiting, discussed what they made on a certain bottle last year, what they scored at other places earlier, etc.  Rest of the bottles were set in back for those who were on the list but not present.

I also scored a $180 Stagg for a buddy that will get drank.  The 3 pappy that went to a store I bought from are all drinkers (20, 15, 15) and the 2 WLW I just got from the same place will be drinkers (yes, G, I got 2!)

So, of the 19 bottles of PVW and BTAC I saw, 3 were certainly flipped, 5 unknown.

If I ever get a PVW23, I'm pretty sure I'll sell it.  Reports of it being over-aged, along with high msrp, and sale value, will certainly convince me it's better in someone else's hands...

Do you people not have jobs?  Unbelievable the amount of time it appears people spend on chasing deliveries

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Do you people not have jobs?  Unbelievable the amount of time it appears people spend on chasing deliveries

Actually, I'm a stay at home dad.  I know several shop owners and store managers, so shopping isn't necessary all the time.  Probably spend less than an hour a week shopping when I wouldn't already be in a store (grocery) anyway.  When you know deliveries always come on Tuesdays and Fridays, it makes shopping a lot easier...  Grocery trip on Tuesday, quick stop at a store on Friday, and it's done.  They all typically get the same deliveries, so if something good is at a store, it's probably at others.  No big deal, really.  

Most of the folks that were around the stores on BTAC/Pappy delivery day swung by on their way to work, and came back at lunch.  Several had taken a vacation day to shop.  The flippers were working, technically...

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

No, but was  thinking about getting one. Should I  put "showed strong work ethic hunting bourbon over last six months" on my resume? 

Edited by Gorzo
  • I like it 3

I've had the good fortune to enjoy bourbon in the days when PVW15 sat on the shelves at $50/bottle.  As hard as it is to believe today that was a hard purchase at that time.  After about the third purchase the store owner said "I don't move many of these."  Times have changed.

• I like it 3

Consumption vs Hoarding (2002 release through 2015)
ORVW 87.4%\12.6%
LotB 91.4%\8.6%
PVW 15 63.9%\36.1%
PVW 20 54.6%\45.4%
PVW 23 41.7%\ 58.3%
VWFRR 62.1%\37.9%

Two thing that I find interesting here:

1) the abnormally high consumption of Lot B comparatively
2) roughly 80% of statistics are bullshit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Consumption vs Hoarding (2002 release through 2015)
ORVW 87.4%\12.6%
LotB 91.4%\8.6%
PVW 15 63.9%\36.1%
PVW 20 54.6%\45.4%
PVW 23 41.7%\ 58.3%
VWFRR 62.1%\37.9%

Two thing that I find interesting here:

1) the abnormally high consumption of Lot B comparatively
2) roughly 80% of statistics are bullshit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a Richard..... Bet you a hundo someone ask where you got your statistics. 

I'm not a big fan of hoarding much of anything.  If it's your business and it makes money that is significant to you, I have no issues.  If you just keep dozens of unicorns just to look at them....c'mon, man.  Drink 'em.  Share 'em.  Enjoy 'em.  You obviously have the resources to get them and pay for them.  There will be more.

The wealthy guy who clears a shelf just because....#$&#!

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Gorzo said:

Read the entire post.  He got you!  Haha!

9 minutes ago, Canarse said:

Read the entire post.  He got you!  Haha!

How did he get me?  Should I have said I bet you someone is dumb enough to ask where you got your statistics? Thought it was implied that I got it.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

How did he get me?  Should I have said I bet you someone is dumb enough to ask where you got your statistics? Thought it was implied that I got it.

Sorry, man....it's all how you read it.  Tone is tough with just text.  When I read it I was waiting to see someone question him.

9 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

Nah, he got ya.  

26 minutes ago, Canarse said:

I'm not a big fan of hoarding much of anything.  If it's your business and it makes money that is significant to you, I have no issues.  If you just keep dozens of unicorns just to look at them....c'mon, man.  Drink 'em.  Share 'em.  Enjoy 'em.  You obviously have the resources to get them and pay for them.  There will be more.

Preach on brother! Hoarding is what's driving the current bourbon craze. I realize that it makes you feel good to be able to come on this forum and others and be able to post pics of your bunker and talk about clearing the shelf of some LE's but at some point we have to control ourselves if we want to get the mania under control. We are the solution and it isn't waiting for the distilleries to increase production.

13 hours ago, $helby said:

I was fortunate enough to have a bottle of PVW23 given to me five years ago. Opened it imeadiatly and we shared a pour. Savored  it for almost 6 months only having 1 ounce pour every so often when another bourbon connoisseur visited.   The day we finished it, I put the empty in the recycle bin and a co worker's husband asked if he could have it. I said sure not realizing he was going to sell it on eBay for $70.   That was the last time I failed to break an empty unicorn bottle.   BTW, The 23 was by far the least impressive PVW I have tried.  That said, I would definitely buy another at MSRP if given the chance.  Rest assured the broken empty would be in the trash within six months.   

If the co-workers husband ever comes over for a drink I would have a bottle of Ten High just to serve to him.

57 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

OK, Ill ask - where did he get those statistics????   :huh:

Hey Gorzo, you owe me $50 or a half bottle of Lot B, ok?   :lol:

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.