Whats Your Christmas Eve/Christmas Day bourbon

Dango
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Whats gonna be your Christmas eve/Christmas day bourbon line up?? 

Christmas Eve is a big semi-formal family dinner thing here in my house, we do a traditional Danish Christmas Eve. (my wife is Danish)

I'm planning on opening up my CEHT four grain, and one of my Weller 12's. 

Christmas day a bit more of a reserved day here. I'm gonna do my PS BT, and PS ER10

Any special Bourbon plan for you guys out there?? Or you just gonna wing it??

Christmas Eve is probably some MWND and some Bourbon Cream.  Christmas day after our own personal family Christmas in the morning we drive 2 hours to some in-laws and then drive back home that evening. :( The imbibing is kept to a minimum. I will probably take my Founder's CBS. I also have some aged Egg Nog that I made just before Christmas last year but not sure I'm brave enough to drink it.

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I will probably take my Founder's CBS. 

Very nice! It’s mostly BA Beer for me as well for the holiday weekend. I did leave a bottle of ER at the in laws so may dip into that on Sunday.  But I am the only bourbon drinker and not hosting so no reason to bring a variety of bourbons. 

Ps - I can’t wait to try CBS with my dad when he visits the first week of January. 

• I like it 1

Some relatives who live in NYC know I love HH BIB 6yr which is not sold here in Wash DC.  Every year, so far, they have brought a bottle in a plain, plaid wrapper and take pictures when I open the package AND the bottle.  Here's hoping this year . . .

My father-in-law can drink. I have to take something that is easily replaced. Maybe some Henry Mckenna 10, Eagle Rare 10 or Evan Williams Single Barrel. Lol

Christmas Eve is at my place this year so it's going to be whatever my brothers want to drink.  On Christmas Day I'll be by my parents and I've been leaving things there for the last few months so that I have options ;)

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Christmas Eve is probably some MWND and some Bourbon Cream.  Christmas day after our own personal family Christmas in the morning we drive 2 hours to some in-laws and then drive back home that evening. :( The imbibing is kept to a minimum. I will probably take my Founder's CBS. I also have some aged Egg Nog that I made just before Christmas last year but not sure I'm brave enough to drink it.

I’m on board with this. I always have ample MWND around the holidays. Bourbon Cream with the coffee is part of the plan as well. Some beer fans as well with my family so will also bring a CBS and a few other nice beers. Hopefully I can convince my wife to drive home......

6 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Christmas Eve is at my place this year so it's going to be whatever my brothers want to drink.  On Christmas Day I'll be by my parents and I've been leaving things there for the last few months so that I have options ;)

I thought I was the only one that leaves bottles at relatives houses hahaha!

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

I thought I was the only one that leaves bottles at relatives houses hahaha!

As of now at my parents there is OGD BIB, KC 9yr, BT, ETL and since the only scotch over there was Macallan and Dewars I decided they needed some peat so I left an extra Ledaig 10. Sometime between now and Christmas I'm going to have to get a bottle of rye into their liquor cabinet. 

• I like it 1

Probably Barterhouse and Stagg Jr batch 9 for Christmas Eve, maybe Hibiki 12. For Christmas, I know there is a Rhetoric 23, Mount Gay XO (Rum) and a Cognac Park sample pack under the tree somewhere, so probably some or all of those. :D

7 minutes ago, Bobje said:

BiB, what is MWND? I was not able to find it on this list of abbreviations.

MWND = High West's A Midwinter Night's Dram.

It's a bit cliche, but I pull out the Van Winkles and other limiteds for holidays, but especially Christmas.

It's a tradition I started back when I got my first ever PVW15yr and Lot B on back to back days. Because they were so limited and "special" I save the Lot B for Christmas Eve and the 15 for Christmas Day.

It's been a few years since I got a PVW15 so since I got one this year, I will renew that tradition. I have a PVW20 from last year that will be in the mix as well. Some WLW will also be consumed. I just love the wheaters at Christmas. And, not to be outdone, some GTS will also be in the mix quite simply because it's the King.

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Dango said:

Whats gonna be your Christmas eve/Christmas day bourbon line up?? 

Christmas Eve is a big semi-formal family dinner thing here in my house, we do a traditional Danish Christmas Eve. (my wife is Danish)

I'm planning on opening up my CEHT four grain, and one of my Weller 12's. 

Christmas day a bit more of a reserved day here. I'm gonna do my PS BT, and PS ER10

Any special Bourbon plan for you guys out there?? Or you just gonna wing it??

Small world...my wife is also Danish, so I presume you'll be having roast duck and sugar browned potatoes for dinner on Christmas Eve. I'm the only serious bourbon drinker in my family, but my son is starting to try a few more things, so we'll see. I'm thinking I may open something from the BTAC collection...either GTS or THH

• I like it 1

I'm keeping it simple with some Evan Williams Egg Nog (with maybe a splash of something else added to strengthen it up a little).

• I like it 1

Being of Swedish descent, I always have some pickled herring and a shot of aquavit on Christmas afternoon. We'll be at our house for Christmas, so after the aquavit I was just going to wing it. But now you all have me thinking . . . .

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

If you do brave the egg nog report back! I’ve been reading about aging eggnog and really would like to give it a shot but I’m also a little worried about it...not so much that it will go bad as that it will just be weird/gross. Everyone I know who has had it raves about it though so there must be something to it.

8 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Small world...my wife is also Danish, so I presume you'll be having roast duck and sugar browned potatoes for dinner on Christmas Eve. I'm the only serious bourbon drinker in my family, but my son is starting to try a few more things, so we'll see. I'm thinking I may open something from the BTAC collection...either GTS or THH

Yes sir, we used to do roasted goose, but its tough to find a decent quality one these days. So we do the duck, roasted browned sugar potatoes and red cabbage. We also do the traditional rice pudding with the almond in it (whoever gets the almond gets a special gift) and the traditional present game (roll dice... get a 6... take a gift) 

• I like it 1

Christmas Eve will find family gathered (my son from far away, as well as daughter and son-in-law from nearby), and will call for extra-celebratory pours for those who wish to imbibe.  

Probably I'll offer up one or more Pappy iterations, and my new acquisition of WLW certainly will be opened and enjoyed.     I'll also search the bunker and hopefully find the very last remaining bottle HHSS (SB pick).

These sorts of special occasions just seem to call for 'the good stuff'; and it always seems to taste EVEN BETTER when enjoyed by those close to us at such times.

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, NYCBourbon said:

If you do brave the egg nog report back! I’ve been reading about aging eggnog and really would like to give it a shot but I’m also a little worried about it...not so much that it will go bad as that it will just be weird/gross. Everyone I know who has had it raves about it though so there must be something to it.

I made a batch of aged eggnog this year, I can confirm that it is not weird or gross. It's been a little over a week now and it's mellowed out a bit, the alcohol gets a bit more tame and better integrated with the nog.

I followed this recipe and went with the extra fluffy method: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/rich-and-frothy-holiday-eggnog-with-an-electric-mixer-or-stand-mixer.html

I used a blend of mostly rum and a bit of cognac and bourbon as per my wife's preference, but I'm sure it would be good with more or all bourbon too.

19 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

I made a batch of aged eggnog this year, I can confirm that it is not weird or gross. It's been a little over a week now and it's mellowed out a bit, the alcohol gets a bit more tame and better integrated with the nog.

I followed this recipe and went with the extra fluffy method: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/rich-and-frothy-holiday-eggnog-with-an-electric-mixer-or-stand-mixer.html

I used a blend of mostly rum and a bit of cognac and bourbon as per my wife's preference, but I'm sure it would be good with more or all bourbon too.

Thanks for the link! I’ll have to give this a shot, I usually do 1:1:1 cognac, bourbon and rye in my eggnog so I’ll see how it works out.

Picked up a bottle of Angel's Envy Im hoping will be a hit.  Considering taking a second bottle (torn between CEHT SmB and WT Forgiven) in case I don't like the port finish as I don't care for wine.

Edited by rjg1701

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.