Whats Your Christmas Eve/Christmas Day bourbon

Dango
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife’s family is visiting, and her brothers and dad enjoy whiskey, but are far from enthusiasts, and certainly aren’t used to sipping high-proof offerings.  To try and indoctrinate them a bit more to the bourbon world, I’m going to put on a tasting on one of the days. The goal is to offer some tasty pours that will be accessible to their proof-tolerance, be interesting to talk about, and that they will be able to remember due to name recognition. 

So, I’m planning 2016 Lot B, Weller 12, Weller Special Reserve, and Eagle Rare. Theme is 90 proofers distilled and aged at Buffalo Trace. The real interest will be in comparing the Lot B and W12, but I figure tasting WSR and Eagle Rare will allow some interesting notes on how the different grains and extra aging impact the flavors. Going to do it with each one identified first, then blind. 

Other than that, I’m sure I’ll open something else good, but not really sure. My father-in-law prefers his whiskey with a about a quarter-cup of crushed ice, so I’m reluctant to open anything too good, as with that much dilution, it’s probsbly difficult to tell any difference between great and mediocre.

• I like it 3

14 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

My wife’s family is visiting, and her brothers and dad enjoy whiskey, but are far from enthusiasts, and certainly aren’t used to sipping high-proof offerings.  To try and indoctrinate them a bit more to the bourbon world, I’m going to put on a tasting on one of the days. The goal is to offer some tasty pours that will be accessible to their proof-tolerance, be interesting to talk about, and that they will be able to remember due to name recognition. 

So, I’m planning 2016 Lot B, Weller 12, Weller Special Reserve, and Eagle Rare. Theme is 90 proofers distilled and aged at Buffalo Trace. The real interest will be in comparing the Lot B and W12, but I figure tasting WSR and Eagle Rare will allow some interesting notes on how the different grains and extra aging impact the flavors. Going to do it with each one identified first, then blind. 

Other than that, I’m sure I’ll open something else good, but not really sure. My father-in-law prefers his whiskey with a about a quarter-cup of crushed ice, so I’m reluctant to open anything too good, as with that much dilution, it’s probsbly difficult to tell any difference between great and mediocre.

That's a good tasty lineup. Would like to hear about the results. Enjoy.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Haha likewise. Going to be spending it with a few who like whiskey casually. In turn, I plan on keeping the proofs down to a minimum with the highest probably being EC12. I am thinking anything from a Blanton's store pick, Weller 12, the aforementioned EC12, Elmer T Lee, and/or a 1792 Port Finish/MWND. 

Midwinter would be the only pour over 94 proof I believe.

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Haha likewise. Going to be spending it with a few who like whiskey casually. In turn, I plan on keeping the proofs down to a minimum with the highest probably being EC12. I am thinking anything from a Blanton's store pick, Weller 12, the aforementioned EC12, Elmer T Lee, and/or a 1792 Port Finish/MWND. 

Midwinter would be the only pour over 94 proof I believe.

Sounds like a tasty lineup!

• I like it 1

Celebration is at my brother's house, & he has instructed me to only bring beer or wine. Somewhat surprising, but Im betting its because of certain in-laws.

15 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Celebration is at my brother's house, & he has instructed me to only bring beer or wine. Somewhat surprising, but Im betting its because of certain in-laws.

I think I have reached the point in my life (well, I think I reached it a while ago) that if somebody told me I couldn't bring something because it would offend somebody else's sensibilities I just wouldn't go. Family or not. Then again I am increasingly an ornery old fart.  :angry:

Besides, I already live at the best prepaid bar I know of anyway.

• I like it 2

46 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Bummer. Nips in the pocket perhaps, or a small flask. 

45 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I think I have reached the point in my life (well, I think I reached it a while ago) that if somebody told me I couldn't bring something because it would offend somebody else's sensibilities I just wouldn't go. Family or not. Then again I am increasingly an ornery old fart.  :angry:

Besides, I already live at the best prepaid bar I know of anyway.

Dont think its because of someone being offended by the whiskey, but rather someone over-doing it & offending others.

18 minutes ago, Dango said:

Bummer. Nips in the pocket perhaps, or a small flask. 

Flask is a good idea. Also some barrel-aged beer.

6 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I made a batch of aged eggnog this year, I can confirm that it is not weird or gross. It's been a little over a week now and it's mellowed out a bit, the alcohol gets a bit more tame and better integrated with the nog.

I followed this recipe and went with the extra fluffy method: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/rich-and-frothy-holiday-eggnog-with-an-electric-mixer-or-stand-mixer.html

I used a blend of mostly rum and a bit of cognac and bourbon as per my wife's preference, but I'm sure it would be good with more or all bourbon too.

I made this batch after Thanksgiving last year and took some to Christmas last year when it was a few weeks old.  It was good but not great.  It was better than store-bought nog.  It was made with bourbon and rum. I didn't have any brandy so the bourbon got almost doubled and slightly more rum than the recipe called for.  I used Alton Brown's recipe and used Old Bardstown bourbon.  I think I used spiced rum.   Its been hanging out in the back of the fridge for a year.  No one else at Christmas would try it last year except my wife and I.

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Dont think its because of someone being offended by the whiskey, but rather someone over-doing it & offending others.

Flask is a good idea. Also some barrel-aged beer.

I like the way your thinking. 

9 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Did that exact same tasting blind a few weeks ago. Very enjoyable and very enlightening. I know others will dismiss Lot B but I find the 2016 version hold up very well in blind tastings. Also hard to beat ER for the money/availability. Enjoy!

Personally will be doing a blind side by side of EC12 store pick, EC18, EC20, and EC21. Been nursing those for a while but will enjoy with my Dad and family. 

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, hugh jass said:

Did that exact same tasting blind a few weeks ago. Very enjoyable and very enlightening. I know others will dismiss Lot B but I find the 2016 version hold up very well in blind tastings. Also hard to beat ER for the money/availability. Enjoy!

Personally will be doing a blind side by side of EC12 store pick, EC18, EC20, and EC21. Been nursing those for a while but will enjoy with my Dad and family. 

I cracked the Lot B two weekends ago, and I thought it was great. A velvety richness that I didn’t get with the W12 I had a few nights before... but I guess the real test will be whether I can get it in the blind tasting. 

Awesome vertical you’ve got planned!

I'm not really sure about Xmas Eve or Xmas, but.......... Our family will be having a Xmas Eve Eve get together Saturday at our niece and nephews house. I somehow have a sneaking suspicion that Galvin 0791 and I will probably be having a nice pour or three.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

57 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I somehow have a sneaking suspicion that Galvin 0791 and I will probably be having a nice pour or three.  ^_^

You bet your sweet Bipitty, Joe!  ;)

• I like it 1

I usually pop a bottle or two of something good on Thanksgiving and enjoy it through the Holidays whenever friends or family stop by.  This year i opened a WLW from 2011 and my last round bottle Highland Park 18yo.  Two of my all-time favorite pours.  Last year was a GTS and a Blavenie 17yo Doublewood.  I started my journey with scotch and wyould treat myself to my then favorite, a Highland Park 18yo, every year until about 2008 when I really started gettting into bourbon.  Now i drink bourbon 90% of the time but, the HP18 still has holds a nostalgic appeal as I enjoyed it for many Christmas's.  Its just as good as I remembered.  I am glad to see other folks have this tradition as well.  

• I like it 2

Christmas Eve is at our house with about 20 friends and family, we call it our Orphans Christmas.  Me, my son and my nephew are big into bourbon, and so is my brother-in-law, who I'm trying to recognize good bourbon (hell, he even likes Jim Beam Fire).  My nephew went bonkers when he saw a picture of my cabinet (back when I probably only had 20 - 25 bottles).  I went so far as to put together a bourbon list like you see at a bar and so I'm going to hand it to him when he walks in the door.  He'll love it.

So we'll probably be tasting some of my higher end stuff.  The only bottles that won't be opened are my EC 18 and WT Decades, which I'm saving for my retirement.  Otherwise whatever they want to enjoy I'll be glad to pour.

• I like it 1

I think I’m going to open the Rip van Winkle and parkers that I lucked into this year, but I don’t think I can hold out til Xmas. By Friday they will be calling my name

• I like it 2

I mix up a batch of candy cane infused bourbon every Christmas.  I figure I'll be into it some.  Nice pairing, particularly chilled.  

IMG_4434.JPG

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm not really sure about Xmas Eve or Xmas, but.......... Our family will be having a Xmas Eve Eve get together Saturday at our niece and nephews house. I somehow have a sneaking suspicion that Galvin 0791 and I will probably be having a nice pour or three.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

18 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

You bet your sweet Bipitty, Joe!  ;)

I think I'll bring a SB HHSS Barrel #2, and a couple of samples I received from the BBC. Those, along with your Blanton's SFTB should make for a pretty nice evening. At least for the two of us. :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

My plan is to uncork, strain, and decant a decanter of Old Fitz from the late 60’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I mix up a batch of candy cane infused bourbon every Christmas.  I figure I'll be into it some.  Nice pairing, particularly chilled.  

Not too late for me to steal your idea I hope -  although not sure 4 days in the steep will be enough. I'm going to find out though. Thanks.

For me, no BTAC this year and don't have anything that high end in the cabinet. However, I do have a vatted blend of Stagg JR & Old Charter that I'm really enjoying right now that will probably be available. It's a 2:1 mix that's been together for about 3 months and it's pretty good. Outside of that, a 3:1 mix of Evan Williams Nog to Doorly's XO cane juice is really a fine offering and I plan to mix up a few batches of this for the weekend. I'll have the usual suspects of KCSB, ER10, EWSB, and OF 1920 on the counter.

Last, and if I'm feeling generous, I have a nice Toddy's pick of OWA hiding out in the back of one of my cabinets that I might break out if I'm feeling the Christmas Spirit - or have too much of the Nog (or both). Whatever you guys do, I hope you all have a happy and safe Holiday. Cheers.

19 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

IMG_4434.JPG

I am sure the personal touch is appreciated but I'm way too lazy. The Snowshoe fills the bill perfectly. 50:50 Bourbon and Rumple Minze! That way you can create it by the glass and don't have to figure out what to do with all that leftover bourbon filled with candy canes!

That will make any family gathering almost bearable... :wacko:

2 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I am sure the personal touch is appreciated but I'm way too lazy. The Snowshoe fills the bill perfectly. 50:50 Bourbon and Rumple Minze! That way you can create it by the glass and don't have to figure out what to do with all that leftover bourbon filled with candy canes!

That will make any family gathering almost bearable... :wacko:

I'm too lazy to go to the store to buy Rumple Minze!  :lol:  The candy canes are already here.

Yeah, this is a concoction that has a short appreciation expectancy...That's why I only make 1/2 batches, now...:D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.