"I had to hide it from my wife"

EarthQuake
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When I first met my wife she too had a collection of very rare tequila bottles.  We had some of the same bottles.  It was meant to be.  :)  No need to hide anything from her.  Women always find things. 

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, Bourserker said:

One awesome thing I gleaned from this thread is that some of your wives are entering lotteries...why in the bleep didn't I think of this before...it's so simple it apparently went over my head.  Well anyway, she's getting entered into all the lotteries from now on.  Doesn't up my chances much, but 2 entries are better than one ;)

I've been doing this with most VA ABC lotteries from the beginning without very much to show for it.  But the wife was the lucky recipient of an EH Taylor Barrel Proof.

• I like it 1

I can't imagine having to hide anything from my wife.  Let alone something as meaningless as alcohol.  We neither one have to "ask permission" from the other to make a purchase of this sort.  Major stuff we discuss, but everyday items, who cares.  We've been together 33 years, so I guess we are doing some things right!  LOL!

• I like it 3

My wife is a good egg. At first I kept the ever growing stash from her eyes but showed her the entire bunker. She couldn't have cared less. AAMOF, she's moved away from wine which used to be her passion, into first Redbreast 12 Irish and is now relishing 4R PS OESK. She dragged me to the liquor store last weekend to get her own bottle of it. LOL. So, yeah, life is good!

• I like it 3

I guess my wife is kinda in between.  She seems to think I am wasting money by buying more than I can consume in a reasonable amount of time. I explain that some bourbons you may not be able to get anymore and it's not like buying too much bread, it goes moldy and you have to throw it away. And buying bourbon xxx will likely be cheaper today than 3 years from now. My new love is BIB. We all know these low prices can't hold. 

On on the other hand, my wife likes bourbon. Sometimes she will call and say this store has that stuff you like. How many should I get? Not a bourbon, but I love Jack Daniels Green label. Only sold in four states. AND I am worried they will stop making it someday. I have bottles of this everywhere. I don't hide it. She gets annoyed when she can't get to the flour in the pantry because she has to shuffle all those bottles of Green label around! Still, she accepts the situation for what it is!

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Mule Skinner said:

I can't imagine having to hide anything from my wife.  Let alone something as meaningless as alcohol.  We neither one have to "ask permission" from the other to make a purchase of this sort.  Major stuff we discuss, but everyday items, who cares.  We've been together 33 years, so I guess we are doing some things right!  LOL!

Right there with ya Mule. Mrs. Vosgar and I celebrated 39 yrs a few months ago and even though I've got more bottles than any sane person should, it's never been an issue. Matter of fact, she's been an enabler :) 

Yes, I am truly blessed!

• I like it 1

My wife and I have an agreement.  I don't ask about how much she spends on clothes and shoes and she doesn't ask how much I spend on hunting and bourbon/Scotch.:D

When I buy from my business travels I don't hide it, but when I buy from the city I live in I always put it inside the cabinet in secret. The secret lasts until my middle child notices it and shouts out loud, Dad you bought a new whiskey?! I try to convince my wife how beautiful drink whiskey is, she started to drink bourbon and unpeated scotch. She can't stand peated scotch, but it's a start. She liked a lot Elijah Craig 12 and Aberlour 12 (which is dreadful scotch to be honest).

I'll make her buy me a nice bottle as a new year present:)

On 12/23/2017 at 10:11 AM, dcbt said:

Separate bank accounts mean there's no questioning how we spend our money.

Well, truth be told in my case, it's not what I spend; it's the space issue.  She objected to my building "shelves" behind the dining room door, keeping loose bottles under the dining room table, moving the wrapping paper boxes from under the basement stairs and putting cardboard cases of mixed offerings behind them (so the wrapping paper cart sticks into the room), etc. -- not all at once, but over time each of these has been an "issue".  46 years of marriage has taught me to listen, sometimes, so I do about this.

BUT, as long as I don't cross any of THOSE no-no's (and as long as I adhere to, "You can't put it there, EITHER!" when I try to open up a new storage spot), she doesn't kvetch.  Indeed, she helps me find stuff when I go hunting and happily shares in what we find.

ASIDE - I just re-read this.  Maybe she is right and I DO have a bourbon hoarding problem.  I'll have to keep that in mind in case it gets serious.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.