Booker Noe 2/24/2004

Barrel_Proof
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am sorry to report, by way of Bettye Jo Boone, that Booker Noe passed away in the wee hours this morning at his home.

I know we all mourn the loss of this giant man of Beam and of Bourbon.

post-207-14489811418109_thumb.gif

I never had the pleasure of meeting Booker Noe in person, but I feel as though I knew him, just based on his appearance in Chuck's video, "Made and Bottled in Kentucky".

He reminded me in many of ways of my second cousin, Merv Ozier, who was my last contact with my Morefield ancestry when he died several years ago.

Both men had big hearts, a zest for living, a love of hunting (and country ham), intelligence and an endearing, down-home attitude. They even had about the same build.

I extend my condolences to the family and personal friends of Booker Noe.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

My only knowledge of Booker Noe was his reputation. What a reputation! Can it be said better of any man that he lived life to the fullest than Booker Noe? RIP

I echo these thoughts.

Bourbon is what it is because of men like the late Booker Noe. Good to see he got recognition in his later years. Hopefully his namesake whiskey will be available for many years to come.

Gary

Booker Noe.

A link to my hometown paper, The Kentucky Standard, Bardstown, Ky...

Booker Noe

How it appeared on the front page.

post-20-14489811418604_thumb.jpg

This story is from the Kentucky Standard obit:

Not once, but twice, she accidentally used Booker's for her "pork and Beam," dinner, a dish that usually included Jim Beam White Label.

The strength of the Booker's Bourbon ignited in the stove, blowing the door off its hinges.

"Dad always told that story on her," Fred Noe said.

I lifted it because they didn't tell the whole story. The reason she (Booker's wife, Annis) did it, and not once but twice, was because Booker's 'version' of Booker's Bourbon was some he fetched from the rackhouse himself and ran directly from the barrel into a 1.75 L Jim Beam white label bottle. She picked up the bottle assuming it was regular Jim Beam white label because it was in that bottle.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Booker's 'version' of Booker's Bourbon was some he fetched from the rackhouse himself and ran directly from the barrel into a 1.75 L Jim Beam white label bottle

One could further conclude that Booker's version was the " Single Barrel Booker's" , no doubt the pick of the litter, as it were.

I'm certainly glad that I spent the bulk of my time at last years sampler near the Jim Beam people and Booker. Wild turkey was set up across a cannon( It is the Civil War Museum) Toward the end of the nite, I was talking to Jimmy Russell and said Let's go see Booker, We went over by him, I told him I knew someone who wanted to be a distiller and if he'd teach him a thing or two. Booker says " who is it?" I pointed to Jimmy. Booker says , "He could teach me". We all got a laugh out of that. I asked Jimmy if he ever thought he'd live to see Master Distiller's treated like rock stars, He shook he head in disbelief, and said no.

The last memory.

I drove by Booker's house last night during my supper break. The lights were on. I felt sad. I know the grief, that was going on there. Going home, without one.

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489811421001_thumb.jpg

A great man and great story teller! I enjoyed him the times I was around him.

Greg

Bettye Jo,

I talked to his daughter-in-law Sandy the other day.

I hope to see that chair at the Festival this year.

Bj

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.