Jump to content
kevinbrink

Old Overholt Bonded

Recommended Posts

kevinbrink

Another under the radar surprise release, looking forward to trying this alongside KC Rye.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

Might be worth a shot. Looks like it  will be priced to compete with Rittenhouse. Can't be much worse than the sad 3yo Old Overholt that Beam has been using to do its best to destroy the last vestige of a once proud brand name.

 

 

 

Edited by tanstaafl2
Forgot to add the link
  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
12 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Might be worth a shot. Looks like it  will be priced to compete with Rittenhouse. Can't be much worse than the sad 3yo Old Overholt that Beam has been using to do its best to destroy the last vestige of a once proud brand name.

 

 

 

I ordered two along with a bunch of scotch, you know because of shipping..... TWCP has some crazy good prices on some things I was planning on picking up anyway (Laphroaig CS and Highland Park Full Volume) and one I wasn't (Alexander Murray CS 12 yr Highland (Deanston I thinK)) they also tend to be the only place that ships to me that has Ballechin. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
9 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Another under the radar surprise release, looking forward to trying this alongside KC Rye.

Thanks for the head's up.  Last time I had this was in the 1970s and into the 1980s because an uncle of my wife's had stockpiled a bunch (like cases) of this when he heard it was going to be discontinued.  He only allowed us to drink it in Manhattans, though.  OTOH, the best Manhattans I've ever had.  Thanks Uncle Joe.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

I'll get one, just to try.  It certainly can't be worse than the current Overholt....Can it?!?!

 

 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
46 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I'll get one, just to try.  It certainly can't be worse than the current Overholt....Can it?!?!

 

 

Have you even seen this?  I get the feeling somebody made this up, the "this" being, "OO in bonded form is coming back!!!! Wait for it!!!!! It is going to be great!!!!!!!!"  Reminds me of an IBM salesman who was trying to get us to buy.  Like some bad hooker, he just sat there and kept telling us how good it was going to be but never delivered.:rolleyes:

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
16 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Have you even seen this?  I get the feeling somebody made this up, the "this" being, "OO in bonded form is coming back!!!! Wait for it!!!!! It is going to be great!!!!!!!!"  Reminds me of an IBM salesman who was trying to get us to buy.  Like some bad hooker, he just sat there and kept telling us how good it was going to be but never delivered.:rolleyes:

Haven't seen it, but like my thought on the Braves...Hope springs eternal!!!  :lol:

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
37 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Have you even seen this?  I get the feeling somebody made this up, the "this" being, "OO in bonded form is coming back!!!! Wait for it!!!!! It is going to be great!!!!!!!!"  Reminds me of an IBM salesman who was trying to get us to buy.  Like some bad hooker, he just sat there and kept telling us how good it was going to be but never delivered.:rolleyes:

 

17 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Haven't seen it, but like my thought on the Braves...Hope springs eternal!!!  :lol:

So far I've only seen it online at the Wine and Cheese Place and that is still the only place that comes up on Wine Searcher. I would imagine it will have wider distribution at some point.

IMG_20180103_202022711.jpg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

 

So far I've only seen it online at the Wine and Cheese Place and that is still the only place that comes up on Wine Searcher. I would imagine it will have wider distribution at some point.

IMG_20180103_202022711.jpg

Thanks, K.  I guess it IS real. LOL.  And, at $22 per 750, I, too, will give it a fair testing.  When it shows up here.  I just had a thought - JB moved their rye proof from yellow's 80 to green's 90.  I wonder what the effect this release will have on production and sales of the green . . .   I also wonder if it will just be higher proof green.  Since HH's release of Pikesville 110 to complement its Ritt @ 100, I stopped buying the green.  I haven't heard how it's doing and am too lazy to find out.  Anybody (off the top of your head - I'll get around to looking sometime:rolleyes:)? 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thanks, K.  I guess it IS real. LOL.  And, at $22 per 750, I, too, will give it a fair testing.  When it shows up here.  I just had a thought - JB moved their rye proof from yellow's 80 to green's 90.  I wonder what the effect this release will have on production and sales of the green . . .   I also wonder if it will just be higher proof green.  Since HH's release of Pikesville 110 to complement its Ritt @ 100, I stopped buying the green.  I haven't heard how it's doing and am too lazy to find out.  Anybody (off the top of your head - I'll get around to looking sometime:rolleyes:)? 

Pretty sure I have a green around here somewhere, I'll have to dig it up and see how they compare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaiserhog

I wonder if Beam is going to give this old venerable brand it's just due, I can't think of a better way than introducing or re-introducing a Bottled in Bond version.  If only they would move production back to Broad Ford!  I am a big believer in provenance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
On 1/18/2018 at 7:25 PM, kaiserhog said:

If only they would move production back to Broad Ford!  I am a big believer in provenance.

Besides being a nostalgic gesture, I can’t think of anything else that would accomplish at this point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigRich
Besides being a nostalgic gesture, I can’t think of anything else that would accomplish at this point.  

A new place for us to tour?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
13 hours ago, BigRich said:


A new place for us to tour?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. This right here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Yes, but from the pictures I’ve seen of it, Kinsey Distillery is a veritable palace.  :lol:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golzee

I picked up a bottle today at Binny's for $26.99 with a 15% off coupon.  FYI, I had to email Binnys and ask them to stock it at the location I frequent.  Done this a few times now, if they have it and it is plentiful they will send out the product to your store.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ethangsmith

The PA "state stores" just started carrying it for $24.99. Got a bottle and I've really been enjoying it. It may become my "everyday" rye. Great stuff, especially for the price.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MeAndMyWhiskey

For those who have been able to land a bottle of this, what did you think? Did it fit the bill as an upgrade from what OO has become? Here in Michigan the State minimum pricing is $25 for a fifth. That seems like a pretty fair deal (and, consistent with the comment above, that puts it on par with Rittenhouse). But, it's been approved since the end of February, and I have yet to find a store that is carrying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brisko

This just hit the shelves at my local haunt in Minnesota.  So far I've bought two bottles.  $30 for a liter.  Way better than the 3 y/o OO.  Similar to the recent Beam 90 proof ryes, but I like it better for the higher proof.  Honestly it's been a few years since I've had Knob Rye but it's quite similar.  This will be in the rotation for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GaryT

Saw it in Helen, GA yesterday. Was hoping someone who had tried it might post impressions. Can't imagine it being worse than the 3 yr, 80 proof. But wondering if it would be comparable to Ritt.

May grab it tonight if the wife looks the other way. 11744fada4a1abf39e380994cd2e0cb0.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
musekatcher

$26 seems a little high, but, just to satisfy curiosity when there's nothing else new on the shelf, seems tempting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, GaryT said:

Saw it in Helen, GA yesterday. Was hoping someone who had tried it might post impressions. Can't imagine it being worse than the 3 yr, 80 proof. But wondering if it would be comparable to Ritt.

May grab it tonight if the wife looks the other way. 11744fada4a1abf39e380994cd2e0cb0.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
 

I think it comes across exactly as one would expect, like the halfway point between Jim Beam 90 proof Rye and KC Rye, when I did a SBS of the three I found it to have a bit more sweetness and a longer finish than KC Rye, the KC had more Oak and was a bit more dry.  It outclassed the Beam across the board but definitely showed a strong family resemblance.  It's a big upgrade from the standard OO. 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaiserhog

Beam could really be on to something if they will run with it.  Old Overholt BIB could be to rye what Old Grandad BIB is to bourbon.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane
On 4/26/2018 at 10:21 PM, kaiserhog said:

Beam could really be on to something if they will run with it.  Old Overholt BIB could be to rye what Old Grandad BIB is to bourbon.

You just sold me a bottle I've never tried before.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaiserhog
13 hours ago, Kane said:

You just sold me a bottle I've never tried before.

It is loaded with flavor, it will need some taming with a splash of water as it has a significant 100 proof nip .  A little time in the glass will help too.  The 4 year aging improves OO immensely over the 3 year version.  Of course I enjoyed standard 80 proof bottling when it was aged 4 years.  Only cost $11 too.  Those were the days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×