What was your favorite Limited Addition in 2017

Gorzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Sorry to ask the obvious question: have you tried adding water? Very few of us can, or purposefully enjoy, drinking Stagg neat.

Yes, water and ice. I'm just not getting any notable flavor from it. My guess is that my buds are getting overwhelmed by the heat, despite adding water and ice. 

7 hours ago, Dango said:

Yes, water and ice. I'm just not getting any notable flavor from it. My guess is that my buds are getting overwhelmed by the heat, despite adding water and ice. 

Try cutting a brand new pour (before even tasting it neat; and before tasting anything else) to around 50% water. 

Tasting these high-proofers neat , or even with only minimal dilution seems to be almost sacrosanct in the minds of many Bourbon aficionados.

But, in truth, if you're not enjoying one as full-flavored as GTS that way, it would be a far bigger sin to keep on doing it in a way that provides you little satisfaction. 

See if you find more to love at around 65-or 70-proof.  

Many distillers taste around that alcohol level when making selections for batching and blending.    I have to assume they know SOMETHING about what they're doing.

Just a suggestion.... Good Luck.

The 2017 LEs that I actually bought (pretty skinny list compared to lots of guys on here):

Al Young 

Van Winkle Lot B

High West Mid Winter Dram 5.2

Rebel Yell 10 year

2017 LEs I tasted or sampled:

ORVW

WLW

Honestly, my favorite of the bunch is RY10 and Al Young.

I’d pick the Al Young in a vaccuum but I can still find RY10 online for $65. No such luck w/ Al Young. 

I liked the lot B but 100-110 proof is my wheel house. MWD is good but not one I find myself reaching for and one I’ll probably pass on next year.  

Lately, I have really been enjoying Russell’s Reserve single barrels most more so than some of the above LEs. And I don’t feel too bad spending $60 on a bottle as opposed to $160 or more. 

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Try cutting a brand new pour (before even tasting it neat; and before tasting anything else) to around 50% water. 

Tasting these high-proofers neat , or even with only minimal dilution seems to be almost sacrosanct in the minds of many Bourbon aficionados.

But, in truth, if you're not enjoying one as full-flavored as GTS that way, it would be a far bigger sin to keep on doing it in a way that provides you little satisfaction. 

See if you find more to love at around 65-or 70-proof.  

Many distillers taste around that alcohol level when making selections for batching and blending.    I have to assume they know SOMETHING about what they're doing.

Just a suggestion.... Good Luck.

Thanks I'll give your advice it a shot. I have been enjoying CEHT 4 grain today, and HWMWND both are really tasty. Having a great day today. 

If we're going outside of bourbon/rye then I'd throw in Foursquare criterion in my top 3

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, jshleffar said:

If we're going outside of bourbon/rye then I'd throw in Foursquare criterion in my top 3

It was good, I actually prefer 2004 though, my best rum would be Stolen Overproof out of what I had.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

It was good, I actually prefer 2004 though, my best rum would be Stolen Overproof out of what I had.

Big fan of the 2004, I've got several bunkered.

• I like it 1

That Stolen Overproof is pretty good, but I think I still prefer the Foursquare 2004 over it. The Stolen Smoked rum is pretty good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

It was good, I actually prefer 2004 though...

I prefer the 2004, as well.  Criterion is way overpriced, and there are so many other brown spirits in that price range that I think are more enjoyable.  2004 is solid, and makes for a decent alternative at times, but it really doesn't deliver overall at its price...but it is doable.  I probably will buy again, just to have around.  I enjoy these rums as a nice changeup, and I have enjoyed the education into the unadulterated rum world, but I just find them to be fairly mundane and one dimensional once I got past the surprise factor.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I prefer the 2004, as well.  Criterion is way overpriced, and there are so many other brown spirits in that price range that I think are more enjoyable.  2004 is solid, and makes for a decent alternative at times, but it really doesn't deliver overall at its price...but it is doable.  I probably will buy again, just to have around.  I enjoy these rums as a nice changeup, and I have enjoyed the education into the unadulterated rum world, but I just find them to be fairly mundane and one dimensional once I got past the surprise factor.  

Well if you want less mundane it's time to move on from Barbados to Jamaica, St Lucia or Martinique. 

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Well if you want less mundane it's time to move on from Barbados to Jamaica, St Lucia or Martinique. 

Done it.  At that point, it just gets bad to me.  Good for some, I know.  I just don't find enjoyable.  My $ better spent elsewhere.  

• I like it 1

Alert the media...smokinjoe has said something somewhat positive about rum! [emoji6] [emoji2][emoji56]

If you want to try something with a little more umph, try the Stolen overproof or Smith & Cross. The Stolen Smoked Rum is interesting too.

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

If you want to try something with a little more umph, try the Stolen overproof or Smith & Cross. The Stolen Smoked Rum is interesting too.

I picked this up in New York earlier last year-- did this expression ultimately evolve into the Smoked Rum or is it an entirely different animal?

IMG_6640.thumb.jpg.430fb41ae512a0a66b5df6d6e9187ec2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I picked this up in New York earlier last year-- did this expression ultimately evolve into the Smoked Rum or is it an entirely different animal?

Pretty sure the current smoked rum is the same product without the Jarmusch reference.

No evolution that I’m aware of. The Smoked rum that I have isn’t a spiced rum. I’m too lazy right now to dig it out of my bunker or I’d take a picture. I was able to taste the smoked rum and the smoked whiskey before purchase, and liked them both. They were so reasonably priced that I bought a bottle of each.

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

No evolution that I’m aware of. The Smoked rum that I have isn’t a spiced rum. I’m too lazy right now to dig it out of my bunker or I’d take a picture. I was able to taste the smoked rum and the smoked whiskey before purchase, and liked them both. They were so reasonably priced that I bought a bottle of each.

This seems to confirm my recollection https://idealog.co.nz/venture/2016/05/stolen-stolen-rum-story

Thanks for the post...I stand corrected! The initial labeling was clearly not for a typical spiced rum, so I think the current labeling is more appropriate since the article seems to indicate that the product stayed the same, but the label changed.

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

Thanks for the post...I stand corrected! The initial labeling was clearly not for a typical spiced rum, so I think the current labeling is more appropriate since the article seems to indicate that the product stayed the same, but the label changed.

I didn't recall it having Coffee in it, I tasted it at a whiskey fest a while back but those things tend to be a blur. Next time I see one I may have to pick it up.

I didn't recall it having Coffee in it, I tasted it at a whiskey fest a while back but those things tend to be a blur. Next time I see one I may have to pick it up.

I don’t really taste any coffee in it, and the current label doesn’t reference it. However their online description certainly indicates it is part of the recipe. I’ll have to open my bottle and taste it again since I only got a bit of smokiness the first time I tried it. It’s the tall Smoked Rum in the picture in the article. The Overproof Rum in 375ml bottles is quite good too.

11 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I don’t really taste any coffee in it, and the current label doesn’t reference it.

The "Coffee & Cigarettes" expression certainly comes across as doctored with a flavor package-- coffee, caramel and liquid smoke. I have the 11YO Smoked Whiskey as well, in which the smoked flavor seems more wood derived. I'll try to pick up the Smoked Rum for a SBS comparison.

16 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Alert the media...smokinjoe has said something somewhat positive about rum! emoji6.pngemoji2.pngemoji56.png

I saw the Stolen products in a store in Brooklyn in September.  I think my Rum explorations are over, for now.  But I will be getting a bottle of S&C for the delicious cocktail, "The Smokinmuthahfuckinjoe"...  :D  

INGREDIENTS

.5 ozSmith & Cross Rum

.5 ozCynar

.5 ozSloe Gin

.5 ozCreme De Cacao

3 dashAngostura Bitters

1.5 oz Buffalo Trace Whiskey

• I like it 2

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, Dango said:

I have the Parkers 11, I have not opened yet. I have GTS, that I am not quite understanding yet, perhaps its too hot for my buds. For me HWMWND is just a wonderful pour could drink this night and day. I also have had a couple pours of the ORVW10, that was again a very yummy pour for me, I wish I had a bottle in my possession. 

In my first taste of GTS, I found it a little muddled. Tasty, but muddled.

I went back to it the next day. I found that had completely changed its character to a deeply complex and delicious dram. I got this after hitting it again a couple days later. Warm melted caramel like I ain't never had before. I suggest giving it a little time and trying it again.

My favorite LE this year was the Four Roses low rye LE. Every time I taste it, I discover something new.

I saw the Stolen products in a store in Brooklyn in September.  I think my Rum explorations are over, for now.  But I will be getting a bottle of S&C for the delicious cocktail, "The Smokinmuthahfuckinjoe"...  [emoji3]  

INGREDIENTS
.5 ozSmith & Cross Rum
.5 ozCynar
.5 ozSloe Gin
.5 ozCreme De Cacao
3 dashAngostura Bitters
1.5 oz Buffalo Trace Whiskey

That cocktail does sound interesting. Was that one of the cocktails on Bruce’s cocktail menu last April?

13 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That cocktail does sound interesting. Was that one of the cocktails on Bruce’s cocktail menu last April?

Indeed, it was!  It used to be called the Transatlantic Giant, but he felt the name needed more sizzle...  :D

• I like it 2

Stuff I bought bottles of (not that limited but oh well):

1. Rhetoric 23
  2. Barterhouse
  3. Stagg Jr batch 8 & 9
  4. ETL

Stuff I tried at bars:

1. GTS, probably 2016
  2. Four Roses SBLE 2015
  3. Elijah Craig 18
  4. Old Fitz 12 year
  5. ORVW 10 year

Didn't get a chance to try any of the other unicorns.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.