Moving collection abroad

cpfoutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I may be moving to Hungary soon and was hoping to take my bunker of around 100 unopened bottle with me.  

Anyone know how to get that shipped?  

I saw some old accounts of people shipping wine at reasonable rates ($2 a bottle)...if I can do it less than $5 it would be worthwhile...and even $10 would warrant moving a couple cases.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, cpfoutz said:

I may be moving to Hungary soon and was hoping to take my bunker of around 100 unopened bottle with me.  

When shipping expect to lose a few bottles at each border crossing, for quality control and testing purposes mind you. :D   So the end result you'll have as many bottles shipped to your doorstep as you would have if you packed a few in your checked luggage. Damned greedy people. :ph34r: So if you'd like I can hold them for you. ;)

11 hours ago, cpfoutz said:

I saw some old accounts of people shipping wine at reasonable rates ($2 a bottle)...if I can do it less than $5 it would be worthwhile...and even $10 would warrant moving a couple cases.

This is a great question that I'm looking for an answer to also. Upon traveling I can usually fit 2 or 3 bottles, well protected, but I've wondered about larger shipments. One additional consideration would be customs, and whether there is any excise duty required to be paid (or if it can be bypassed..... ;) ).

Having moved here from Europe myself it certainly pays in the long run to do it the right way with a qualified/insured shipper and to understand the import requirements in the country its landing in. Moving a couple of bottle around will not cause you any problems pretty much anywhere ( if you want to message me I can let you know the best way for that) but 100 bottles needs some thought and preparation. Also watch out for insurance as that $1000 bottle of Pappy, for example, maybe be only covered for a fraction of the value.

Depending on your circumstances a method I have seen work, but not for this much to be fair, and again are you moving expensive bottles or just easily available bourbon, my brother moved to Germany and rented a small storage unit in the UK, every time he came home he grabbed a couple and every time anyone in the family visited they grabbed a couple. Took about a year but he managed to move quite a large number, but as I said the time and expense of the storage unit was worth is as he had some really nice whiskies he was moving.

I wanted to follow up and share what I found.  

- Found a person specialized in shipping wine/liquor.  I get the impression he only ships by boat.  He said I don't have enough to be worthwhile and I should contact an air carrier.  

- In speaking with the guy carrying my personal belongings, you don't want to put your liquor in the crate with your personal effects.  If you do and you either declare it or they find it, you are in for an expensive ride.  Your full crate will automatically be held and inspected.  He advised to ship liquor separately and even then, just advises not to do it.  

- If you ship it by sea, it's only worthwhile if you can mostly fill a crate...7 foot by 7 foot by 3.5 foot.  

- You'll have to pay excise taxes which are about $5 a bottle (based on alcohol content)

- I'm not sure if you have to pay VAT...

Looks like I'll need to unload some bourbon or find some place to keep it...or maybe a mixture of both.  I'm still checking into air freight, but it looks very expensive

4 hours ago, cpfoutz said:

ILooks like I'll need to unload some bourbon or find some place to keep it...or maybe a mixture of both.  I'm still checking into air freight, but it looks very expensive

I feel your pain and I"m here for you bro. ;)

Curious is this a corporate move? My company and I assume most companies include a shipping container as part of your move. I know coworkers that have moved similar amounts of cases of champagne, wine without issue if it’s in there with other belongings.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.