Benjamin Prichard's Double Barreled Bourbon

schlep
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just acquired the above referenced bottling and was curious who distills this product. Front label reads:

Benjamin Prichard's Double Barreled Bourbon

90 Proof - 9 Years Old

Barreled, Aged, & Hand Bottled Exclusively By

Pricards' Distillery, Inc.

Kelso, Tennessee

Distilled in Kentucky

Back label states, in part, that the bourbon has been cut, then rebarreled in charred oak barrels and aged again. Sounds similar to what Jim Beam did with the defunct Jacob's Well brand. Any insight on who the distiller is would be appreciated.

schlep

• 4 months later...

I just picked up a bottle of this on a recent trip to Kentucky. I'll give a full tasting report later...my initial impression is that it's an OK but not great bourbon. Anyone else tried this one yet? I also saw on the shelf a bourbon liqueur made by the same distillery that was "apricot-flavored". It sounded rather disgusting, so I declined to pick up a bottle.

Hmmm. A couple of years ago, I remember taking some dried apricots (about six) and soaking them for 30 minutes or so in a half-ounce of Elijah Craig. Then, I ate the apricots and finally, I sipped the remaining bourbon. As I recall, it was very tasty and pleasant.

Tim

For those who live in KY, or those who visited recently,. is this product pretty readily available? I am hoping to find a bottle or two when I go in September. If it is a hard to find thing and not readily available, I'll have someone there pick up two for me before I show up. Thanks in advance. toast.gif

I have never seen a bottle of it, and I frequent several stores around Lexington. Maybe I just overlooked it, but I doubt it.

Southern Comfort, which is a kind of faux bourbon, contains various fruit flavors but apricot is the dominant one.

I'd really be interested in seeing a picture of the bottle if you can post one. I have one of the original bottles -- purchased quite by chance and almost solely because it's bottled here in Tennessee (Kelso is a wide spot in the road a bit south of, but in the same general area as Lynchburg -- Jack Daniel's -- and Tullahoma -- Dickel). Only later did I learn that there were only two barrels in the original bottling, and that a partnership disagreement precluded the bottling of more. I heard more recently that whatever ownership disagreement had existed was settled, and that more bottles were on the way, but have never found another one. So, I'm wondering if you happened upon one of the original bottles, or a new one, or even if there is any difference.

Here's a pic of one from angelshare's "SUYS" post. Looks like a Thedford bottle to me right?

29056-100_0801.JPG

Yeah, that looks like the one I've got -- I'll dig around and see if I can find the reference to additional bottling (though it might have been word-of-mouth from a distributor's salesman).

But, I'll tell you what, Mark -- if I can't find a second one, you can have my (still unopened) first one. toast.gif We'll work something out, I'm sure.

I bought my bottle in a liquor store in Richmond, Kentucky (south of Lexington). There are two liquor stores right off I-75 at the Richmond exit...one is called Liquor World, and the other is across the street (I can't remember what it's called). I bought the Prichard's in one of those stores (I can't remember which one).

First of all, let me just say that Mark has a keen eye and/or a photographic memory. I'm envisioning Mark's viewing the Prichard post and thinking "Oh, yeah, Tina & Dave had a bottle of Prichard's. I think it was on the second shelf, second from the left and only had an inch or two in it. I'll just post THAT pic." Amazing. bowdown.gif

Second of all, in a way, it's heartening that a guy with a stash like Mark's - bowdown.gifbowdown.gif - is still looking for looking for stuff like this. It somehow illustrates the truly endless fun of being a bourbon enthusiast.

I thought I had an empty Thedford to use for comparison side by side, but it must have gone to recycling. I agree that they sure look the same, though.

I was in MD yesterday and didn't see any there, but I'll keep an eye out for you, too.

smilielol.gif, too funny Dave! For real, I wish I had a photographic memory though. I mean, I might, but it has got to be 'selective' photographic memory if such a thing exists! I only remember things like that when it pertains to subjects that interest me. But your description of how I remembered that post was actually dead on! Literally I remember where that bottle was in that pic. crazy.gif I know, scary isn't it? hehe

You're right Dave; it is amazing how even though I mainly try and stay up to date with current or relatively current bottlings it is still a challenge to have it fully up to date. toast.gif

Thank You very much for the offer Tim. toast.gif I'll see if someone can spot a bottle and pick it up for me, but if not I really do appreciate the offer and I am sure someting can be worked out.

Thanks guys, I usually come in through Louisville but since I am getting there very early this year, I am sure I'll have time to make a swing by Lexington one day. I remember hearing that the Liquor Barns's out that way are a little cheaper anyway... Probably worth a shot.

• 3 weeks later...

I once soaked some dead crickets in Elijah Craig 12 and ate them. Not bad, as I recall. I drank the bourbon afterwards.

Signed

Smart Ass stickpoke.gif

• 1 year later...

According to a feature in a little free-circulation paper around here, Prichard's will offer another issue of 'Double Barreled' Bourbon this month. Still no mention of it on his website, though -- www.prichardsdistillery.com -- though there is a link to a television feature for those of you with high-speed connections.

I'm in the process of e-mailing Mr. Prichard to ask whether the bottle/label will be the same -- and thus ruin the 'collectible' value for those of us with remaining original bottles:grin: -- or it will be in new trade dress. Since his other (rum) bottlings have gotten new looks in the last couple of years, I'm hopeful.

Aha: found a link to the above-mentioned story: http://onepaper3.localweb.com/publications/weekly/archive/06/3-24-06/tn/franklin_cs_top.html

Honestly, when I saw that topic title, "Pritchard´s double barreled Bourbon", I thought it was an April Fool´s Day-leftover from yesterday. Oh, well. :grin:

there is a link to a television feature for those of you with high-speed connections.

There is no mention of whiskey in this documentary, only rum and potstills are discussed. I wish him good luck but at the same time I am noting that here we have another American turning his back on whiskey production.

I once soaked some dead crickets in Elijah Craig 12 and ate them. Not bad, as I recall. I drank the bourbon afterwards.

Signed

Smart Ass stickpoke.gif

LMAO!!!..............

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some additional trade-dress info straight from the bottler, Phil Prichard:

"...There are minor differences in the packaging most notable is the trademark..Benjamin Prichard's Double Barreled Bourbon is now a registered trademark with a circle R rather than the TM indicator after the name. There will be a limited production with our left over cork but due to availablility, we have had to change corks but since they will be covered by the tamper seal capsule, the change will not be apparent. Stop by for a visit. Phil"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.