Special bottle idea

Magnum
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

About to celebrate a milestone birthday and wife asked what special Bourbon she should buy for the big day. Have a relationship with a Liquor store owner and trying to decide which special Bourbon I should ask him to took for, he gets allocated on a regular basis.  I know Pappy is not an option. Thinking Stagg but wanted ideas.

Count me in the Stagg-loving camp, but my pessimistic side doubts many owners are still holding on to any bottles unless they are for their personal consumption. I think that BTAC sells just as fast as Van Winkles is most areas these days. Who knows though I’d love to be wrong, for your benefit.

If you’re going to spend a little more than normal to splurge a little and want a bottle that is probably a little more available, you couldn’t go wrong with a Wild Turkey Master’s Keep Decades. It’s like a $150 bottle in my area and I think it’s delicious. And it’s a nice looking bottle as well. If you like rye the Kentucky Owl Rye could still be findable at retail also, is a $130 MSRP, and also delicious. If you really like Buffalo Trace products specifically and are into Barrel Proof since you mentioned Stagg, another option would be to order a Blanton’s Straight From the Barrel from one of the stores that ships from across the pond. On that BT/barrel proof theme you could also go with an EH Taylor Barrel Proof, although I don’t personally think it holds up to the GTS or EHTBP. Finally, you could also go barrel proof with an ECBP, and since Whiskey Advocate names the B batch their world whiskey of the year, might be particularly cool to find one of those now (although I think most batches are really good). 

Good luck!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.