Whiskey Sweet Spot

Saul_cooperstein
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was thinking...if your income doubled or tripled would it affect what bourbon you drank? Would you move up a shelf in purchasing? Buy more or bunker more? Buy at secondary market pricing (legally either through retail or auction)?

for me, I don’t think would impact much although I would likely increase purchasing on bottle picks in the $50-100 range. Maybe pick up a few older WT at auction. You? 

4 minutes ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

Was thinking...if your income doubled or tripled would it affect what bourbon you drank? Would you move up a shelf in purchasing? Buy more or bunker more? Buy at secondary market pricing (legally either through retail or auction)?

for me, I don’t think would impact much although I would likely increase purchasing on bottle picks in the $50-100 range. Maybe pick up a few older WT at auction. You? 

I'm pretty sure there'd be no change as I already buy what and how much I want which is much more than I need or have room for.  Perhaps I'd mail order more, but that's because I'm lazy.  So, now that I think about it, I don't mail order much now.  Hence, I'm certain there'd not be much of a change.

EDIT - I'm also pretty sure I'd have to give up a wife to buy much more than I buy.  Price, BTW, is not the issue - space is.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

It would change the way I buy scotch a little and wine a lot but not bourbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

I don't think my buying habits would change. I often buy bottles below my current pay grade because I like them. I might buy a 100 plus bottle occasionally but there are so many good ones way below that. I might get a van, head to Kentucky and buy cases of HHBIB6!

• I like it 1

Hmmmm, interesting proposition, Saul.     Never gave such a thing much thought, and never being a lottery player, never expect to be stoooopid wealthy, anyway. 

However, since you pose the scenario, I don't think it would change much of anything for me. 

Like Harry, space is more my issue than cost.   (My little house is already bursting at the seams with 'stuff'.)

I am not bent in the way that some folx seem to be, where they cannot bear to be denied anything they can source by any means necessary.    I've just never felt deprived from that standpoint.  

Part of my satisfaction with my current state stems from the experiences I've been granted by the ever-so-generous folx I've met here, and at the Gazebo.    I suppose, if I'd never tried ANY of the storied brands discussed herein, I might not feel so satisfied; but having had so many of those experiences, I am embarrassed by the richness of my tasting history.

Now, if money suddenly became no object at all. . . I might just build an addition on the old homestead, and fill the damned thing with cases of . . . well, pretty much the same stuff I already buy one at a time, I guess.

I don’t think it would change too much for me today. Partially that’s because my consumption is drastically lower than it was in the past and I suspect is lower than a decent % of the people on this site. (I had a medical issue come up that required me to alter some habits 3 years ago and I only consume alcohol on weekends since then). So since I already had quite a few bottles open and with a lower consumption rate now, I rarely finish off bottles. And when I do buy bottles, I don’t really care what they cost because I buy less of them and I’m not worried about it, so that’s why more budget wouldn’t really change much for me now.

Now prior to my changed situation 3 years ago, it’s pretty easy to assume that more budget would’ve lead specifically to some extra KY trips and some gouge pricing purchases. 

I’d buy the same juice that I do now, just more of it. Tastes are always evolving as one learns more and tastes more but I have a pretty good feel for what I like:

8-12 years old

100-116 or so proof

’high rye’

prefer single barrels. 

So right now, Four Roses private barrels, store picks of Russells Reserve, and Belle Meade single barrels are what i mostly buy. What would change would be quantity. I’d buy barrels and give a lot away to friends and family.  I’d also buy some dusty Turkey as another fellow above said. 

I'd probably spend a lot more drinking at classy bars and trying rare or extremely high end stuff. Can't deny that I enjoy that kind of stuff.

But my collection wouldn't change all that much. I forego purchasing bottles of the aforementioned rare stuff because I don't think it's worth the money regardless of my wealth. A glass or two to explore some curiosities or to simply check the box is enough.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Kane said:

I'd probably spend a lot more drinking at classy bars and trying rare or extremely high end stuff. Can't deny that I enjoy that kind of stuff.

But my collection wouldn't change all that much. I forego purchasing bottles of the aforementioned rare stuff because I don't think it's worth the money regardless of my wealth. A glass or two to explore some curiosities or to simply check the box is enough.

That would be my put as well.  I've sampled several dozens under $100, and feel the price-to-quality ratio ramps up quickly, but flattens out quickly.  I still have some curiosity over $100, I've not tried PVW or WLW

Related, I'm uncomfortable with any more price escalation.  I very much appreciate a quality bourbon product, and all the science art and effort that goes into it.   I'm less interested in increasing a profit ratio that already has no equal. Without doing much math, I'd guess the profit margin on whiskey is 90% or greater. 

Interesting question.  In regards to bourbon, I don't think it would change what bourbons I buy, but I would probably be more willing to buy older/more expensive Scotch than what I currently buy.  Personally, if my income doubled or tripled, I would rather put it towards a bigger house or some land in the country rather than booze.

I'm hoping for those sort of income increases in the next few years, but I don't see my buying habits changing a whole lot. I may actually bunker more than one bottle of certain things, and buy a bit more of the limited allocations (might be more comfortable buying at prices between retail and secondary, but secondary pricing would still be a no). 

Now, if I had a 10x increase, or a sudden windfall, I would probably buy most of what I have on my 'list'. I want to try everything I can get my hands on, which is my driving force for buying a variety of bottles and pours as it is (I want to know what I don't know - same reason why I try different beers, gins, vodkas, rums, etc). At the point where I could comfortably afford everything I would ever want, I would have to find the 'next step' in the hobby or I would lose interest - getting out and meeting new people, trying new things, and hunting limited things is a big part of the enjoyment for me - otherwise I would have one or two bottles in my collection and call it good. Since I can only drink so much safely, I would probably put more of the buying budget in to my traveling budget to get more tasting experiences. 

I can honestly say it wouldn't affect my personal buying habits.  I doubt I would buy more.  I currently buy what I want and can find that is of interest.  I also wouldn't be inclined to spend more than what I thought a particular bottle of interest is worth just because I had more money.  I might buy a few more bottles just to share with friends.  If someone says "you know I have never tried x," I would probably be more likely to buy them a bottle so they could try it.  

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

Would not change anything for me.

I already buy what I want, and bunker what I want, as long as the prices are in my acceptable value range. 

I was lucky enough to get into bourbon while there was still a chance to stock up my favorite LE's before they got to the out of site prices they sell for today. That helps because I don't have any itches that have never been scratched.

Really old bourbons don't do it for me so there's no temptations there that would be easier to stomach if I had a lot more money.

The LE's that I do love are far more expensive than they are worth on a relative basis to the number of private barrel picks I have stored away. Because I have my own stash of limiteds, I wouldn't need to buy at secondary prices for some time. 

If my arm was twisted, I'd probably go to a bar and try some of the uber aged extra special scotches that are supposed to be great. I'm not a scotch guy so perhaps a windfall of money would tempt to try those to see if I was missing anything. Chances are I'm not given my tastes.

If my income tripled I would stick largely to my favorites of OGD BIB, WT101, and OWA but I may be less worried about taking risks with new bottles and I would drink a bit more premium stuff. I like basic bottles though because then I appreciate the better stuff more. If you drink PVW every day you will eventually lose contrast and it will just be normal whiskey.

Now if I were to become billionaire rich, I would build a literal bunker and have it acres in size full of bourbon for my family, friends and future generations of my grandkids. I would have every bottle imaginable in there, price be damned. A man can dream.

• I like it 1

That's an interesting question, and I think the answer depends on one's current income.  When I was a grad student, I made very little money, so I drank Ten High (back when it was straight bourbon) and didn't bunker anything.  When I got a "real" job, I moved up to EW black for mixed drinks and EW BIB for sipping, and I've bunkered some things like OGD BIB and Ten High (straight bourbon).  I've tried lots of bourbons in the under $50 category, and I sometimes buy limited release stuff if it's a SB.com thing and I'm invited.  If my income were to double or triple from what it is now, I'd still buy the same stuff I buy now on a routine basis, but I'd probably do some of my own barrel picks (and of course invite SB.com folks to participate ;)).

I would probably move first, if I ended up with more space then my buying would probably be similar to what it was the last couple years though I would probably splurge more for some pricier Scotch and Rum, bourbon wise I can't imagine buying more I have too much already. So far since Christmas I've haven't done much buying comparatively and I don't see that changing much outside the occasional new release.

I have spent a good many years trying new things, and discovering what I truly enjoy.  Having a larger income would allow me to indulge occasionally in the aftermarket for things I've never had (Sazerac 18 for instance) or some older versions of things (Noah's Mill with age statement), but it wouldn't really change my bourbon and rye selection at home.  I might have a few more bottles overall but generally speaking the things I buy, I buy to drink.  Either now, or in the future.  I don't really have a collection as it were, but more like a large circle of friends that I cycle through now and then.  I'd stick to my go to's because they're what I like, regardless of price point.  

• I like it 1

I'd definitely buy more of everything. More barrel proofers for sure. I'd also make the trip to KY to buy gift shop only bottles.

I would buy all of the PVW bottles, all the BTAC bottles and . . . then I would invite all of you over to my house to share.  

BOOM!  Mic Drop!;)

• I like it 6

I think the one thing that would change for me is that I would go directly to the distillery's and buy my own barrels. (Willett, BT, WT, ext.) Kind of like "Doug" did back in the day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.