Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just dropped in NJ $58.99, cracked one, I'm with Joe I'm a fan.

y4moLYmMS43i69RXTrwgw-2ot1SfK2N7dpEkUb9a

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Just dropped in NJ $58.99, cracked one, I'm with Joe I'm a fan.

y4moLYmMS43i69RXTrwgw-2ot1SfK2N7dpEkUb9a

Hot damn. You might have to bunker me one of those until I make it over next!

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, beasled said:

Hot damn. You might have to bunker me one of those until I make it over next!

Noted David

• I like it 1

I didn’t particularly care for my first bottle of KC rye and never bought another. The BP version has me curious though. 

how do you all compare this to Kentucky Owl and to Michter's Barrel Strength Rye?

7 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

how do you all compare this to Kentucky Owl and to Michter's Barrel Strength Rye?

I don't buy Michter's because they are a trash company, it is not as refined as KO Rye, I'm not sure what KO Rye would taste like at barrel proof since it is not despite the high proof, but this is much, much hotter and much less Rye forward, it also happens to cost basically half as much. I can't really think of something on the market similar and since private barrels of KC rye haven't hit any of the places I buy from I can't say how it compares to those either. If you go in wanting it to be like the MGP or Barton high proofs many are accustomed to at this point it's not that and you will be disappointed. If you are on the fence and you don't like KC Rye than realize it is more of that profile, that amplified with more oak. 

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I don't buy Michter's because they are a trash company, it is not as refined as KO Rye, I'm not sure what KO Rye would taste like at barrel proof since it is not despite the high proof, but this is much, much hotter and much less Rye forward, it also happens to cost basically half as much. I can't really think of something on the market similar and since private barrels of KC rye haven't hit any of the places I buy from I can't say how it compares to those either. If you go in wanting it to be like the MGP or Barton high proofs many are accustomed to at this point it's not that and you will be disappointed. If you are on the fence and you don't like KC Rye than realize it is more of that profile, that amplified with more oak. 

The private barrels of KC rye are mostly in the 5yr range with a few getting to 6. I'd imagine this one at 9 years or close to it would have something extra in comparison.

• I like it 1

Thanks
  • I like it 1

What’s the deal with Michters being trash? I get asked about michters all the time and I don’t have any or know much. 

1 hour ago, PiraSea said:

What’s the deal with Michters being trash? I get asked about michters all the time and I don’t have any or know much. 

This thread basically summarizes it, for me the lawsuit is the primary reason with the pricing of their heavily filtered 10 year low 90's proof products being the icing on the cake. 

• I like it 1

On 1/24/2018 at 2:46 PM, Kpiz said:

My speculation is the same as yours, that it’s a marketing thing. A while back there was some discussion on here about producers not using the “straight” designation despite being entitled to do so. I seem to recall some folks thinking that it was purely visual/marketing - not many consumers know what “straight” means anyways so to them it is just clutter.

By far the best Rye for my tastes but then again I miss the corn sweetness in 95%'s or pure rye whiskey.  I found KC rye to drink much like KC SiB but of coarse a little more emphasis on the spice.  As to omitting "straight" I am rather suprised that JB would do that but then again there is a concerted effort among the marketing departments of these companies to "educate" consumers that "straight" and age statements are no longer a mark of quality whiskey.

By doing this "education" they can remove objections to using younger whiskey in the end products.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:46 PM, Cranecreek said:

As to omitting "straight" I am rather suprised that JB would do that but then again there is a concerted effort among the marketing departments of these companies to "educate" consumers that "straight" and age statements are no longer a mark of quality whiskey. By doing this "education" they can remove objections to using younger whiskey in the end products.

If the whiskey they are bottling now can be labelled as straight and they choose not too then I see no legitimate reason other than they want to keep their options open on what goes in future bottles.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

If the whiskey they are bottling now can be labelled as straight and they choose not too then I see no legitimate reason other than they want to keep their options open on what goes in future bottles.

Well said CUfan.  Different products are marketed and aimed at particular demographics.  We people here on SB are a niche market.

14 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

13 hours ago, Cranecreek said:

Well said CUfan.  Different products are marketed and aimed at particular demographics.  We people here on SB are a niche market.

The only difference between Bourbon and Straight Bourbon is the minimal age of 2 years or 4 years with no age statement. I don't see Beam using the option to get sneaky and go less than 4 years old on this. We'd all taste it and know.

6 hours ago, flahute said:

The only difference between Bourbon and Straight Bourbon is the minimal age of 2 years or 4 years with no age statement. I don't see Beam using the option to get sneaky and go less than 4 years old on this. We'd all taste it and know.

Not if the younger blended whiskey was only 10 or 15 % of the total.  Time is money and many companies especially the Craft offerings are selling very young whiskey.  In the case of the Rye here it may very well be that it is all 4 years or more but who really knows ??  Way off thread here and I know this has been discussed a million times here and on other sites and the media.  Needs it's own topic heading.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, flahute said:

On 1/24/2018 at 3:46 PM, Kpiz said:

I think if they were adding GNS it would need to be labeled as a blended rye whiskey. Labeling it simply as a rye whiskey gives them latitude to add 2.5% coloring/flavoring. Not that that’s any better than NGS. This is the ‘loophole’ Templeton was exploiting to add flavoring to their rye (it was labeled as rye whiskey, not straight rye whiskey).

The SB picks seem to be in the 5-6 yr range, the "standard" release says barreled 2009 putting it in the 9yr range, so is the standard KCBP rye older than what they are allowing SB purchasers to choose from and if so, why? The comments from some that have tasted samples for a potential single barrel pick haven't exactly been raves, comments on I assume the standard issue (nothing was noted indicating the bottle in question was a SB pick) have been much more positive. I am sitting it out thus far but find the atmosphere around this particular release a bit confusing.

5 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I forgot we were talking about rye.

Still, I don't see Beam adding coloring or flavoring to a flagship brand. The outcry if they were found out would not be worth it to them.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Cranecreek said:

Not if the younger blended whiskey was only 10 or 15 % of the total.  Time is money and many companies especially the Craft offerings are selling very young whiskey.  In the case of the Rye here it may very well be that it is all 4 years or more but who really knows ??  Way off thread here and I know this has been discussed a million times here and on other sites and the media.  Needs it's own topic heading.

A couple things here. Many of us would be able to tell even if it was only 10-15%. But let's say we didn't and it still tastes good. Does it matter then?

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, flahute said:

I forgot we were talking about rye.

Still, I don't see Beam adding coloring or flavoring to a flagship brand. The outcry if they were found out would not be worth it to them.

Yeah and as has been stated before even for the standard KC Rye they have at times used the word straight and at times not. If you don't buy this because you don't love KC/Beam Rye than that is a good decision because this is definitely amped up KC Rye, but if you don't buy it because you think Beam is pulling shenanigans, then you might as well stop buying bourbon and rye because basically all of the distillers have had some questionable labeling at one point or another. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Yeah and as has been stated before even for the standard KC Rye they have at times used the word straight and at times not. If you don't buy this because you don't love KC/Beam Rye than that is a good decision because this is definitely amped up KC Rye, but if you don't buy it because you think Beam is pulling shenanigans, then you might as well stop buying bourbon and rye because basically all of the distillers have had some questionable labeling at one point or another. 

I haven't commented on whether or not I would buy it. I've just stated my opinion on why straight would be omitted. I apologize in advance if you and @flahutehave already answered this and I missed it, but why do you think it's not there on this bottle and randomly in the past?

2 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I haven't commented on whether or not I would buy it. I've just stated my opinion on why straight would be omitted. I apologize in advance if you and @flahutehave already answered this and I missed it, but why do you think it's not there on this bottle and randomly in the past?

Because they view that people don't care about the designation I'm sure, plenty of actually non-straight rye sells, my guess is just a design choice.

Snagged one at lunch and cracked it open first chance I had.  Wow - quite nice, and for $57.99 - a bargain.  It's been a while since I bought a bottle of barrel proof 8 yr rye (my assumption - I know) because prices have gotten just freaking insane.  @smokinjoe nailed it - at least what I'm experiencing on this first pour.  Spicey-caramel on the nose (not the expected citrus zip I would have expected; in fact just nosing I might peg this as a high-rye bourbon?), but it just explodes with spicy goodness on the palate, and has a long, lingering/drying finish (I love his firework analogy - it goes well with the burnt/drying sensation!)  Definitely a winner in my book.

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, GaryT said:

Snagged one at lunch and cracked it open first chance I had.  Wow - quite nice, and for $57.99 - a bargain.  It's been a while since I bought a bottle of barrel proof 8 yr rye (my assumption - I know) because prices have gotten just freaking insane.  @smokinjoe nailed it - at least what I'm experiencing on this first pour.  Spicey-caramel on the nose (not the expected citrus zip I would have expected; in fact just nosing I might peg this as a high-rye bourbon?), but it just explodes with spicy goodness on the palate, and has a long, lingering/drying finish (I love his firework analogy - it goes well with the burnt/drying sensation!)  Definitely a winner in my book.

Thanks for the review Gary.  I can't wait to try it!  It sounds like one that I would really like. I hope it makes it to my area soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.