BOTM 2/18: Jim Beam Distiller's Cut

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well whadaya know? We have something new and different for this month's BOTM, and  I'm actually early for a change. :o Truth be told, I bought a bottle of this a few weeks ago, and I've had it all lined up and ready to go. ^_^

Even after reading what some folks have said about this one, I have to say that I was still pleasantly surprised when I tried it. Just a few notes from me before we get started. IMHO, there's a lot going on with JB Distiller's Cut. All in a good way I might add. Nose and flavor; Oak, smoke, vanilla, etc... and call me crazy if you want, but I detect a slight fruitiness in the flavor that I can only describe as raisins. :wacko: I admit that I'm not the biggest Beam fan around, but for the sake of those of you that are, I hope Beam decides to keep this one as a regular product. A BIB aged 5-6 years, with a slightly different and interesting flavor, (and I know I might get some grief with this) and no Beam funk. :mellow: There, I said it. :ph34r:  Let's hear what y'all have to say about Jim Beam Distiller's Cut. 

Cheers and happy posting!

Joe

• I like it 1

I'm with ya' on this one, Joe.     Besides being a fine Bourbon in all ways; for the price, a darned good value. 

Along with BF's Early Times BIB from almost  year ago, and 1792's recent BIB, I have to say it's been a Grand Year for new BIB's. 

The Beam Distiller's Cut is unique in being unfiltered, which is great to my palate (or I convinced 'em it was... power of suggestion?).    Anyway, I like it enough to have grabbed an 'extra' before I even drank the first one below the shoulder of the bottle... if that tells you anything.    ...And, it should.

• I like it 1

This is definitely on my short list. I knew it was 100 proof, didn’t realize it was designated a BiB, which is cool. Also as as Rich pointed out a NCF. I’ve been digging Beam lately a stash of 2 for $10 half pints of 8 year Black I found and the KCSB store picks. A classic bourbon profile with some nice wood, smoke and Joe hit the nail with raisin like fruitiness. I’m getting some of this. Thanks Joe for making this BOTM.

• I like it 1

Enjoyed a pour of this myself tonight, I am unlike Joe, an unabashed Beam fan. I had my doubts as to where this one would fit in since one would think that it is right in the middle of the BIB and KC age wise, but I think either the barrel selection or the NCF on this one really makes it a unique release. I dig it, it's a fun, affordable release that makes for an interesting SBS for those of us geeky about our whiskey to care. 

• I like it 1

Beam is my favorite distillery tied with BT, and yet I have zero bottles in my stash. Will buy this as soon as I spot one in MA (anyone?).

• I like it 1

Great choice Joe.  I finished one, then bought the last one in another store.  I believe barrel selection and no chill filter make this a winner.  I get a creamy texture, and some peanut taste.

• I like it 1

Sounds like another one to circle back and try along with JDBP.  Maybe, the boom and craft competition is forcing the big producers to offer a little more from their signature brands?  Maybe they are worried about these brands becoming a badge of shame, so they need to re-establish some street cred? 

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

This is definitely on my short list. I knew it was 100 proof, didn’t realize it was designated a BiB, which is cool. Also as as Rich pointed out a NCF. I’ve been digging Beam lately a stash of 2 for $10 half pints of 8 year Black I found and the KCSB store picks. A classic bourbon profile with some nice wood, smoke and Joe hit the nail with raisin like fruitiness. I’m getting some of this. Thanks Joe for making this BOTM.

Actually the Distiller's cut isn't (& can't) be designated as a BIB.     I may have mislead you with my post, lumping it in with those other two that ARE BIBs in my comparison.    The JBDC is a blend of 5 and 6-year old barrels, therefor not 'from one distilling season', and can't be called BIB.

• I like it 1

Actually the Distiller's cut isn't (& can't) be designated as a BIB.     I may have mislead you with my post, lumping it in with those other two that ARE BIBs in my comparison.    The JBDC is a blend of 5 and 6-year old barrels, therefor not 'from one distilling season', and can't be called BIB.

Yeah I misread your post, in my defense it was Weller night.

Edit Joe also stated it was a BIB and I read it as either 5 or 6 years and not a blend. Either way NCF, 100 proof 5-6 yrs for $20 seems good to me.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, musekatcher said:

Sounds like another one to circle back and try along with JDBP.  Maybe, the boom and craft competition is forcing the big producers to offer a little more from their signature brands?  Maybe they are worried about these brands becoming a badge of shame, so they need to re-establish some street cred? 

Beam has quite the history of 'toying' with special releases, new brands, etc.  I think they do this to keep their loyal customers engaged.  They, along with Wild Turkey, were historically at the forefront of this movement (look at all the old decanters and special one off release bottles out there that folks still collect). 

As the world's #1 bourbon producer, I really don't think they were looking at this as a way to re-establish some street cred. ;)

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 1

Ordered a bottle today. 

A rare chance to try a well-made budget bourbon that is totally new to me. 

Edited by Guss West
speeling
  • I like it 1

8 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

All the information I could find, including the statement on my bottle, says aged 5-6 years. Not a blend of 5 and 6 year old bourbons.

Joe

• I like it 1

I like this one as well due to it's price point and flavor.  It is the best bourbon I have found in this price range, and the fact my wife likes it just tops the cake.  As long as it is available there will always be a bottle or two in my stash.

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

All the information I could find, including the statement on my bottle, says aged 5-6 years. Not a blend of 5 and 6 year old bourbons.

I have no doubt you're correct, Joe; but, my recollection is having read (I have no idea where any longer) that it is indeed a combination of barrels aged 5-years and 6-years.    I may have seen that on Beam's site; but as I said, I can't recall.

This topic delayed my 1st 4 Roses experience a little longer. I was intending for my next trip to the LS to result in my 1st 4R bottle but I got the Distillers Cut instead. $18.99, 5 to 6 years old and 100 proof. I'm liking those specifications! 

This one has been enjoyable for me so I grabbed an additional 2 bottles since I thi k this one will fo quickly. I'll need to revisit this one for tasting notes next time around. If available, don't shy away from a bottle at your local store. 

You guys are killing me! I wasn't going to buy anything else this week. But I read this post. So I went out of my way on the way home to go to a friend's liquor store to get some. The liquor store by my house doesn't have it.

The nose is very interesting. No smell of alcohol, I'm new to this so I just picked up some caramel.

The taste has some alcohol to it, but nice.

Right after the swallow there was a burst of flavor that was very nice.

My taste buds haven't developed enough to pick out all of the flavors yet, but this is pretty nice, especially for the price.

I'll probably pick up another bottle of it.

This is my first attempt at reviewing a bourbon.

20180202_202637.jpg

• I like it 1

I bought  bottle last month on a trip to Kentucky and was excited to see it as the BOTM.  The nose on this is very interesting for a value pour.  I got some grape on the nose as well as a raw dough note. The taste was sweet, but also peppery.  The NCF gives it a nice mouthfeel and was surprisingly good for such an affordable bottle

JB Distillers Cut sold out at my LS.  And, JDBP was $68?!?  It was $55 just a couple weeks ago.   Double fail.  And then, I look down, and VB is up to $15!!  I have to say, I'm disappointed in both the lack of selection, and the increased prices.  One or the other or both occur about 3 out of 4 visits to the LS.  Its becoming discouraging, and a negative experience....is that the goal? 

I'm not familiar with Beam products (or much of anything else, yet...), but I have been sipping from this bottle for a bit and it seems to agree with me. There's something in there that's kinda weird (Is this the Beam funk???), but not distracting enough to keep me from reaching for it. I also get a bit of oak (that IS oak, right??)

At any rate, I'll probably grab another. 

Thanks, Joe!

13 hours ago, musekatcher said:

JB Distillers Cut sold out at my LS.  And, JDBP was $68?!?  It was $55 just a couple weeks ago.   Double fail.  And then, I look down, and VB is up to $15!!  I have to say, I'm disappointed in both the lack of selection, and the increased prices.  One or the other or both occur about 3 out of 4 visits to the LS.  Its becoming discouraging, and a negative experience....is that the goal? 

Indeed, that must be the goal.   We learned earlier this week in the Observation thread that distilleries are purposefully overplaying the shortage rather than selling more product.  Now, liquor stores are apparently supporting them with these customer unfriendly actions you describe, in an attempt to sell less product.  Next report will be that Distributors are ordering their drivers to drive their semis full of bourbon off of cliffs.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Indeed, that must be the goal.   We learned earlier this week in the Observation thread that distilleries are purposefully overplaying the shortage rather than selling more product.  Now, liquor stores are apparently supporting them with these customer unfriendly actions you describe, in an attempt to sell less product.  Next report will be that Distributors are ordering their drivers to drive their semis full of bourbon off of cliffs.

OMG!    I think such an implication was just posted on Facepage or Tweeter, or some darned place.    So it MUST be happening!     (Or maybe I just made that up....)

• I like it 1

To my knowledge, this one has not yet hit the Washington state market so I'm going to have to take y'alls word for it that this is a good one.

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

LMAO. Well played. Now that was funny.

After reading these reviews, I really wanted to like Distiller’s Cut, but didn’t. For about the same price, I enjoy Wild Turkey 101, and Old Grand Dad bonded and 114.  But this one is not a favorite.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.