Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Skinsfan1311

BT Hard Hat & Ghost Tour & WT tour in between. Doable?

Recommended Posts

Skinsfan1311

We'll be visiting Buffalo Trace and have two tours scheduled for the same day.    The Hard Hat Tour at 1:30pm and the Ghost Tour at 7:00pm.     Not sure what do in between.    Thinking of doing Wild Turkey and dinner.   According to Google Maps, WT is 1/2 hr from BT.

 

Given the time, is that doeable?   Is there anyplace nearby, where we could get a bite to eat, other than the Firehouse Cafe, because that's where we're eating lunch, or Wallace Station, because we are eating there the day before.

 

Bearing in mind that our dining options aren't set in stone, so any tips, suggestions, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod

There are way more dining options in Frankfort than anywhere else along your travel route (which may be a challenge to make in a half-hour, depending upon traffic), though I cannot name any offhand.     My suggestion would be to bring a kinda 'picnic dinner' along with some well-supplied containers of Bourbon, in order to be in the proper mood for the Ghost Tour... ya' know: spirits to get into the spirit for the spirits, as it were. HA!  :lol:   

This suggestion is rather weather-dependent, as you can imagine.    Have FUN.    (You almost can't avoid that, I think.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

Woodford is actually a bit closer, but yes, you do have the time to work WT in.

 

As Rich noted, Your best bets for food are in Frankfort. And I prefer Penn:P Station over Firehouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinsfan1311
23 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

There are way more dining options in Frankfort than anywhere else along your travel route (which may be a challenge to make in a half-hour, depending upon traffic), though I cannot name any offhand.     My suggestion would be to bring a kinda 'picnic dinner' along with some well-supplied containers of Bourbon, in order to be in the proper mood for the Ghost Tour... ya' know: spirits to get into the spirit for the spirits, as it were. HA!  :lol:   

This suggestion is rather weather-dependent, as you can imagine.    Have FUN.    (You almost can't avoid that, I think.)

I noticed that too.  Way ahead of you with the well-supplied containers of Bourbon, that's always been the plan. :D

9 hours ago, Paddy said:

Woodford is actually a bit closer, but yes, you do have the time to work WT in.

 

As Rich noted, Your best bets for food are in Frankfort. And I prefer Penn:P Station over Firehouse.

We'll have already toured Woodford, the day before, on our way from the airport to Lexington.       Our dining options aren't etched in stone, but I figured on Firehouse, because we have a tour at Alltech Distillery/Brewery at 10:00am.   Lunch will be dependent on how we're running for time.  If we're pushed for time, we'll hit the Firehouse at BT before the tour.    If we have enough time, we'll dine in Frankfort.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

Getting to WT (or Four Roses which is nearby) might be possible but it would make for a busy day! Last FR tour is at 3pm I think so a tour there is out anyway. Not sure you would have much time for a tour at WT but they do have one at 4pm which would give you a chance.

 

Don't remember how long the hard hat tour is but probably at least an hour. Afterwards getting to your car, maybe some gift shop time unless you do it beforehand, getting to WT, getting to the right place, parking and so forth means you aren't likely to make the 3pm tour so you would have to go on the 4pm tour (if you planned to tour at all of course). If you are done by 5pm then you are probably in the heaviest traffic going back (not that it is typically bumper to bumper but still probably slower) which gets you back to Frankfort close to 6pm if you are lucky. Not much time to eat before the ghost tour at 7pm!

 

Just something to keep in mind.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinsfan1311
On 2/3/2018 at 12:28 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Getting to WT (or Four Roses which is nearby) might be possible but it would make for a busy day! Last FR tour is at 3pm I think so a tour there is out anyway. Not sure you would have much time for a tour at WT but they do have one at 4pm which would give you a chance.

 

Don't remember how long the hard hat tour is but probably at least an hour. Afterwards getting to your car, maybe some gift shop time unless you do it beforehand, getting to WT, getting to the right place, parking and so forth means you aren't likely to make the 3pm tour so you would have to go on the 4pm tour (if you planned to tour at all of course). If you are done by 5pm then you are probably in the heaviest traffic going back (not that it is typically bumper to bumper but still probably slower) which gets you back to Frankfort close to 6pm if you are lucky. Not much time to eat before the ghost tour at 7pm!

 

Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks!   

If we go to WT, it will be for a tasting and a look around. We're basically winging it in between the BT tours.

We may just go for a leisurely late lunch in Frankfort, then go chill at a bar or back to BT to relax until the Ghost Tour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

If you're winging it between BT tours....... Old Taylor/Castle & Key isn't that far away. Worthy of at least a drive by. Also of note is Rebecca Ruth Candy. They're right in Frankfort. IMHO, they're also worth a look see.

 

Biba! Joe

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lilsweetpea
On 2/6/2018 at 7:19 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

If you're winging it between BT tours....... Old Taylor/Castle & Key isn't that far away. Worthy of at least a drive by. Also of note is Rebecca Ruth Candy. They're right in Frankfort. IMHO, they're also worth a look see.

 

Biba! Joe

I second the visit to Rebecca Ruth Candy.  It's a fun stop!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895

Jim's seafood is a pretty decent (very casual) place to eat dinner.

Just down the road from BT, with a nice view of the dam and river.

 

Southern style catfish and slaw is always a winner for me before the "ghost tour".  Ghost tour is neat if for no other reason than you get into Blanton's mansion.

 

Jim's Seafood
2025, 950 Wilkinson Blvd, Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 223-7448

https://goo.gl/maps/7akgFGJXSCB2

Edited by 0895

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gurgalunas
On 2/6/2018 at 10:46 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

If we go to WT, it will be for a tasting and a look around. We're basically winging it in between the BT tours.

The layout at WT may not allow for this.  I visited last April, and public access was to the gift shop only, which was on the same campus, but separate from the distillery.  There is maybe 10 minutes worth of looking around in there if not touring.  The tour leaves from the shop, loading onto a shuttlebus, and goes through a security gate to the rest of the distillery. 

 

Not sure where the tasting is done.  There are a few tables/chairs in the gift area...  nobody working there seemed to do more than run a cash register when I visited, but that was admittedly late in the day as the last tour was leaving (I was running out of time in my schedule too).  I'd expect the tour guides do the tasting at the distillery, or bring the group back for the tasting.  In other words, you may have to invest the time in the full tour to do a tasting (not that it's a bad thing) but that may compromise your schedule.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PowderKeg

WT tasting room is at the opposite end of the building from the gift area.  Run by the tour guides as part of the tour AFAIK - don't recall seeing a separate option for just a taste, like some others offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gurgalunas
4 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

WT tasting room is at the opposite end of the building from the gift area.  Run by the tour guides as part of the tour AFAIK - don't recall seeing a separate option for just a taste, like some others offer.

Yeah, that's where the tables I'm thinking if are at.  Makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinsfan1311
On 3/1/2018 at 9:23 AM, gurgalunas said:

The layout at WT may not allow for this.  I visited last April, and public access was to the gift shop only, which was on the same campus, but separate from the distillery.  There is maybe 10 minutes worth of looking around in there if not touring.  The tour leaves from the shop, loading onto a shuttlebus, and goes through a security gate to the rest of the distillery. 

 

Not sure where the tasting is done.  There are a few tables/chairs in the gift area...  nobody working there seemed to do more than run a cash register when I visited, but that was admittedly late in the day as the last tour was leaving (I was running out of time in my schedule too).  I'd expect the tour guides do the tasting at the distillery, or bring the group back for the tasting.  In other words, you may have to invest the time in the full tour to do a tasting (not that it's a bad thing) but that may compromise your schedule.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
l364cy

Just as an aside, my wife and I visited BT for the Buffalo Love dinner in February.  We ended up spending almost the entire day, from 9A to 10P on Friday before the dinner.  They run tours back to back, and have enough to cover an entire day at the distillery, each tour will teach you something different.  If you are there in the morning and the evening, the gift shop employees will be different.  So that 1 or 2 bottle limit will get to apply twice if you visit accordingly :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...