Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GreggJ

Hot Toddy... I Got a cold, whats your recipe?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

GreggJ

Hello All,

 

Got a bit of a cold, I am feeling pretty miserable and definitely in the mood for a Hot Toddy or a variant.   I couldn't find any recipe's in a search so figured we could start a new topic here to help out brothers in need.  I was wondering, any fellow SBer's have any special drinks remedies to help knock out a cold?

 

I have been drinking hot Toddies when sick for many years now and here's my personal recipe:  Its nothing special but tasty and serves its purpose well. 

 

My Hot Toddy Recipe:

- Loose Green Tea (cup 75% full)

- Honey (1 Tablespoon)

- Fresh Pink Grapefruit Juice (most of the juice from 1/2 a GF)

- Rye Fill up cup usually about 2 oz.  

-  I'll also throw in a Ricola Natural Herb cough drop in there and let it melt to add some extra herbs and mints. 

 

So what do you fellas do for a remedy when your not feeling well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod

One variant I often use is a dash of Angostura Aromatic Bitters (I'll use more, if my tummy is queasy).    I believe it adds a bit of flavor interest, and I think maybe helps with the sinuses.    My formula doesn't use Grapefruit; but Lemon, and usually in a rather smaller ratio to the honey than your recipe.    I don't generally use any tea, though I have a couple times.    All the 'other' ingredients generally come out at about 60% of the total with Bourbon or Rye being the remaining 40%.    I usually use 100-proof or less; often 86 or 90-proof.     I try to sip it as hot as I can stand it, and will usually re-heat  it once, or even twice, in the microwave to keep it hot.

 

Good Luck with your ailment, GreggJ.    I hope you feel great soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GreggJ

Thanks Rich,

 

Feeling much better now.  I did introduce the bitters and think that it does help open up the sinuses up a bit. Thanks for the help.  

 

I had grapefruits last time I had a cold and thought anything citrus would work as I was out of Lemon,  I like the flavor a bit more and decided to put that in the mix.  I think a white tea or a rooibos adds some depth and has some health benefits as well.  To be honest I never measure, just make some tea fill it up about 70% add some Honey, Citrus, and whiskey.  The bitters was a nice touch so that will go in future iterations.  Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.