Luxrow and Chattanooga Whiskey distilleries

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While on my trip to Four Roses to help pick a couple of barrels earlier this week I had the opportunity to do a little scouting trip of Luxrow Distillery. I must say I was pretty impressed with the facility! It is in a nice setting on the eastern side of town along the bypass (close to but across the parkway from Bardstown Bourbon Company). In addition to a nice tour of the facility, which is producing spirit but still working hard on the facility to meet the planned opening in April, with Kevin Didio, the Experiential Manager, I had a chance to spend a few minutes with John Rempe, the head distiller. I think we should have a great time there.

On the way back to Atlanta we also stopped in for a "backstage" tour with Tim Piersant, Founder/CEO of the new much expanded distillery recently opened by Chattanooga Whiskey. They have a micro distillery near the bar and restaurant scene in downtown but the new facility isn't likely to host tours any time soon. They are now putting most everything into full size barrels (which are aged upright on pallets and stored on site in the new facility. A 12 inch column and small doubler provide a much expanded output going forward. They also had a wooden storage tank (forget the size but hundreds of gallons) where they are doing some solera style aging that includes some of their sourced MGP whiskey along with their new make and I must say I was pretty impressed (A future GBS barrel perhaps???).

Their own make is an interesting "high malt" bourbon with 75% corn and 25% malted grain including malted rye and malted barley (exact numbers escape me at the moment). The high malt bourbon will be their base whiskey going forward. While still young I think it has potential and I liked the experimental batches they are doing.

Oh, and a couple more FR private selections (a 100 proof OBSV and a cask strength OESQ) are on their way to Atlanta in the near future!

Also checked out a couple of bars while in Louisville. Lola, which is above and part of the Butchertown Grocery, was the better cocktail destination and worthy of a return visit with any luck.

A good trip overall.

• I like it 2

Sounds like you indeed had a "good trip", sir.      I think the LuxRow tour will be a whiz-bang for those of us doing it.    C'nardly wait!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.