Michter's Bourbon

steve-in-kville
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

23 hours ago, flahute said:

Not sure why you'd compare it to NDP MGP's since it isn't MGP.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Everything except the extra aged products come from Brown Forman.

These resulted, sort of, from the question, "How do these compare to the other 30 MGP products?" or some such.

In the asker's defense, I mentioned that MGP ryes compared favorably in flavor and were "better" in price than the Michter's IMO.  Perhaps he took that as a statement on the provenance of Michter's.  Thus, I may have misled him by being less than clear (now, THERE's a surprise - my being messy).  Until I saw your post, and TBT's, I'd not paid enough attention to Michter's to care where it came from; its advert practices turned me off.  So, thanks, you two, for educating me.

Um, I STILL won't buy their NDPs.<_<  Although I'll drink the 10 yr. if it's offered to me.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Everything except the extra aged products come from Brown Forman.

NM. 

Edited by Mako254

I say if you like heavily filtered whiskey with a dumb overblown story than Orphan Barrel is your brand, if you want heavily filtered whiskey with a dumb overblown story and a heaping dash of sleaze than Michters is for you.

• I like it 4

41 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I say if you like heavily filtered whiskey with a dumb overblown story than Orphan Barrel is your brand, if you want heavily filtered whiskey with a dumb overblown story and a heaping dash of sleaze than Michters is for you.

And that, IMHO pretty much sums things up. Atta Boy Kevin! ^_^

Biba! Joe

Unknown.jpeg

• I like it 3

I'm one of those guys that buys bourbons that I enjoy. I don't have time to do backgroud checks on owners. If you eliminate all products that has a prick running the show you might find yourself barefoot and riding a horse. 

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Texbow said:

I'm one of those guys that buys bourbons that I enjoy. I don't have time to do backgroud checks on owners. If you eliminate all products that has a prick running the show you might find yourself barefoot and riding a horse. 

Boo-yahhhhh! First post and you nailed it. Welcome to the party.  But while I don't find Michter's offensive (taste or history) I do find it way overpriced for what you're getting - a bland and mediocre bourbon. It's $42 at the ABC which is way too much.

27 minutes ago, Texbow said:

Me too. 

And I don’t enjoy Michter’s for a host reasons that includes their lying shenanigans. 

Ive never done a single background check and yet I’m aware of what Michter’s does. 

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Boo-yahhhhh! First post and you nailed it. Welcome to the party.  But while I don't find Michter's offensive (taste or history) I do find it way overpriced for what you're getting - a bland and mediocre bourbon. It's $42 at the ABC which is way too much.

That's what has always steered me away from their stuff. The price to quality ratio seems off. Their 10 year has always baffled me. They want $120+ for a 10 year old bourbon, no thanks. HMck10, ER, ECBP, KCSB are all in that same age bracket and are significantly cheaper. I don't see the allure. 

• I like it 2

If you keep your eyes open, you can find Michter products for roughly $30-35. Everyone has different tastes and that's the important thing to remember. As stated before, they all pull shenanigans. Buffalo Trace has a history of using tanked whiskey for their special releases. Jim Beam is restricting supply of Bookers to justify price increases.  How many labels have gone to NAS or from single barrel to small batch. 

Also, 10 years in the barrel is not created equal. Not saying Micter's 10 is worth that much more than ER10, just saying they may not exactly be similar expressions. 

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, alcoholica said:

If you keep your eyes open, you can find Michter products for roughly $30-35. Everyone has different tastes and that's the important thing to remember. As stated before, they all pull shenanigans. Buffalo Trace has a history of using tanked whiskey for their special releases. Jim Beam is restricting supply of Bookers to justify price increases.  How many labels have gone to NAS or from single barrel to small batch. 

Also, 10 years in the barrel is not created equal. Not saying Micter's 10 is worth that much more than ER10, just saying they may not exactly be similar expressions. 

It takes all of the energy I have to not post a snarky response every time someone says something about Michters that isn't objectively negative. But how is using Tanked whiskey shenanigans, not to say BT/Sazerac hasn't committed their fair share, your comment about Beam/Bookers could apply to many BT/Sazerac products, they also egregiously leave numbers on on bottles where age statements used to be (so have just about every other big KY distiller). Michters just doesn't pass the litmus test for me and many others for a number of reasons already stated. I'm going to start running my McKenna and ER through a Brita so I can figure out how many times until it tastes like $100. Sorry for the snark, I can't help myself.

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

7 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

It takes all of the energy I have to not post a snarky response every time someone says something about Michters that isn't objectively negative. But how is using Tanked whiskey shenanigans, not to say BT/Sazerac hasn't committed their fair share, your comment about Beam/Bookers could apply to many BT/Sazerac products, they also egregiously leave numbers on on bottles where age statements used to be (so have just about every other big KY distiller). Michters just doesn't pass the litmus test for me and many others for a number of reasons already stated. I'm going to start running my McKenna and ER through a Brita so I can figure out how many times until it tastes like $100. Sorry for the snark, I can't help myself.

Do you honestly not understand how using tanked whiskey lacks integrity? It would be one thing if they were upfront about it, but they got caught, and then they admitted it.

And I don't really care what your taste preference is. It's not my taste preference. But here's the really great thing, you don't have to drink Michter's. You don't even have to look at a bottle of it or even mumble it's name. 

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, alcoholica said:

Do you honestly not understand how using tanked whiskey lacks integrity? It would be one thing if they were upfront about it, but they got caught, and then they admitted it.

This still makes no sense. If the age information on the label is correct, using tanked whiskey does not lack integrity. In fact, since people are clamoring for older whiskey all the time (older as in whiskey from a different time, not age in barrel), there's no benefit to not telling your consumer it's tanked. Tanked Saz18 is far more sought after than the current Saz18.

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, alcoholica said:

And I don't really care what your taste preference is. It's not my taste preference. But here's the really great thing, you don't have to drink Michter's. You don't even have to look at a bottle of it or even mumble it's name. 

I'm not sure why anyone would be upset about tanked whiskey in the case of Sazerac 18 most people I know miss the tanked stuff. It would be one thing if every year they escalated the age statement but they pulled it at 18 years and every year they put 18 years on the bottle. I would guess that much more bourbon than most would think has been tanked at some point, often it is with the intention of marrying a blend of different barrels. Historically there has been plenty of bulk tanked whiskey sold to NDP's as well, which they sold over time. 

1 minute ago, flahute said:

This still makes no sense. If the age information on the label is correct, using tanked whiskey does not lack integrity. In fact, since people are clamoring for older whiskey all the time (older as in whiskey from a different time, not age in barrel), there's no benefit to not telling your consumer it's tanked. Tanked Saz18 is far more sought after than the current Saz18.

Well I said it lacked integrity. It started with PVW23. They got caught saying they were using Stitzel juice after 23 years. They weren't upfront about it. Who knows what happens in the tank, certainly some oxidation. The Saz18 came after BT was caught. And Im not saying there is anything wrong with tanked juice, but there is something wrong with the lack of integrity that was caught with the PVW23. They appear to be more open about it and have learned the lesson.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:16 PM, flahute said:

Not sure why you'd compare it to NDP MGP's since it isn't MGP.

Because I am an Idiot.  My bad. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.