EH Four Grain 2018 Release

Dom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 minutes ago, PiraSea said:

At the same time as the four grain release, we got a release of single barrel too. Is there a different time period on the barrel proof release?

Ah.

I follow you now.

Yes, it's usually later in the year.

29 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Ah.

I follow you now.

Yes, it's usually later in the year.

I thought the barrel proof was usually a May release, but it’s certainly possible that I’m mid-remembering here. 

8 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I thought the barrel proof was usually a May release, but it’s certainly possible that I’m mid-remembering here. 

I guess I should clarify that I don't ever see it before July.

I have no idea when they ship it out.

:)

Last year in NJ 4 Grain and Barrel Proof showed up on the shelves around the same time, if not at the exact same time. 

Single Barrel and Four Grain hit some places in NC this week.  Very little Four Grain from what I can tell. 

I've yet to see it or hear about its arrival in St Louis. I did, however, see in a local fb bourbon group someone is selling a 2017 4 grain for $375 ????

12 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I've yet to see it or hear about its arrival in St Louis. I did, however, see in a local fb bourbon group someone is selling a 2017 4 grain for $375 ????

Stopped by a LS I occasionally go to, and they reported 2 bottles landed last week.  I hadn't heard of any at my usual haunts though...

9 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Good point. We should all keep this in mind.

????

• I like it 1

Anyone taste it yet? Or compare it to last year? Impressions last year iirc were that it was so so. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody score a bottle of this with a 2018 laser date code? If so if you could please share an image of it and the back label it would be very helpful. We got two 17 releases and think glazers is pulling the wool.

Four Grain has come to Washington State but in much more limited quantities this time. Most of it is being held back by the distributors for on premise. My local who was able to hook me up last year only got ONE bottle this year so he's decided to hold it back for the fall charity raffle. I could have probably gotten one if I hustled and stalked Total Wine but this bottle, while good, is not worth that kind of effort.

8 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

and think glazers is pulling the wool.

No, that can't be it... they are a most outstanding and completely ethical company. ;)

Anyone tried a sbs on the two different years yet and noticed a difference, or are we all just assuming its the same (perhaps tanked) whiskey, sold over a two year release (so far)?

Edited by 0895
most emojis are still broken...

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

No, that can't be it... they are a most outstanding and completely ethical company. ;)

Just as I thought. :unsure: The same can be said of Southern and Breakthru also. :ph34r:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I passed on 2 bottles this past week. I didn't care for it last year (and can't imagine that one year would make a big difference)  and didn't want to buy a bottle just to say I had another one. I still have over half of the bottle left from last year, and while good bourbon not good enough to take one from someone that would really enjoy it.  

• I like it 1

On 6/10/2018 at 6:40 PM, flahute said:

I could have probably gotten one if I hustled and stalked Total Wine but this bottle, while good, is not worth that kind of effort.

This is exactly my attitude about this one.

I know I'd like to buy one at no hassle retail, but as far as the bun fight goes it's not a battle I'm picking.

I know rumors are just that but the LS that has 4 bottles told me that this is the last year for 4grain release so they are pricing it at collector rates. Any truth or more BS?

3 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I know rumors are just that but the LS that has 4 bottles told me that this is the last year for 4grain release so they are pricing it at collector rates. Any truth or more BS?

I thought last year when they released Four Grain they announced that their would be a 2017 and 2018 release.  So I would expect this to be the last release of Four Grain.  EH Taylor typically does a one-off release every year, it's just that Four Grain had a two year run.

On 6/12/2018 at 9:48 PM, JoeTerp said:

I thought last year when they released Four Grain they announced that their would be a 2017 and 2018 release.  So I would expect this to be the last release of Four Grain.  EH Taylor typically does a one-off release every year, it's just that Four Grain had a two year run.

This is correct.

Hosted a bourbon tasting last night with the BT folks and they said 17 and 18 will be the only 4G releases for another 10 years. They said 4G started as an experiment and they made more as soon as they figured out how awesome it was... unfortunately it will be 2026-2028 when it releases again. EHT also seems to be the home of BT's of experimental whiskey... so I'd bet 2019 will be a EHT intro of something new. He said 10 years on the next one, I'm not sure if thats 10 years from last night or 10 years from when they found out how good it was in 2016. It would have to be 2028 for it to be the same age as the current batch at 12-13 years. 

Edited by PiraSea
  • I like it 2

On 6/12/2018 at 2:59 PM, The Black Tot said:

I know I'd like to buy one at no hassle retail, but as far as the bun fight goes it's not a battle I'm picking.

"Bun fight" - you da' man Tot!  The hits just keep on comin'.

Back on topic, saw two (2) bottles of CEHT 4 Grain come and go @ $99.99 OTD.  Meh.  8-)

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

We tried the 17 and 18 SBS this week and while they seemed very similar, as one might expect, we did tend to favor the 2018 while tasting blind (2018 was newly opened while the 2017 had been open previously). Another person stopped by and liked the 2017 so go figure. But both were quite enjoyable and if you can find them at or near retail for 12-13yo whiskey it is not a bad deal in the current market.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.