How Do You Drink Your Bourbon?

robbyvirus
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am currently recovering from a bout of gastritis (don't ask) which prevented me from drinking bourbon for awhile. As I recover, I'm finding that it's easier on my stomach to drink bourbon with an ice cube added, rather than neat, which has always been my preferred method. I'm finding that drinking bourbon with ice seems to bring out subtle flavors that I couldn't detect when I drank it straight. This got me to wondering how you all drink your bourbon. Neat? On the rocks? A little of each?

Take one old fashion glass, add a little crushed ice, a lot of bourbon, swirl a couple of times and drink.

Hank

While I used to drink my whisk(e)ys neat, I now will often add a splash of water -- it proves to be easier on the stomach! The quantity of water depends on the brand. One comment on water... it's never straight from the tap. I keep a container of tap water in the fridge which allows chemicals like chlorine to dissipate. I also do not like mineral water or bottled waters, although they claim to be pure, they seem to be too hard.

toast.gif

For anything 100 proof or higher, one small ice cube or a splash of water. As mentioned in a previous reply, I use "Brita" filtered water for all my coffee, tea, or bourbon.

In general I follow the rule in my SB.com screenname--but sometimes when I'm not being serious I'll violate the rule and drink on the rocks. drink.gif

Usually neat, especially when the weather is cool. With a cube or two, especially when the weather is warm. Ice or, for that matter, cold water is okay for ordinary drinking, but for serious tasting the water should be room temperature. I find Brita-filtered tap water perfectly acceptable for all of my personal hydration needs.

Good for you!!! Tap water, allowing the chlorine to dissipate, is the only way to go. The other minerals add a hint of taste and, believe it or not, distilled water brings a horrible taste to most things, including bourbon. Bottled water is no better than most tap water, once the chlorine gas is allowed to escape, although there are some tap waters that may be a little too "hard" to add to bourbon. Take it from me, I have worked in a public water utility for 32 years and know of what I speak! toast.gif

I usually drink premium bourbons neat, from a small 6 oz brandy snifter. I never use shot glasses.

I have been known to add one or two small ice cubes to high proof bourbons... and never branch water, however. On some occasions, I will have bourbon on the rocks.

With my "well bourbons" I will just add coke and ice. lol.gif

I'm finding that drinking bourbon with ice seems to bring out subtle flavors that I couldn't detect when I drank it straight.

I have noted this fact, previously, but I was hooted down by everyone else claiming it only gives dilution. But, the serious scotch drinkers accept this as fact.

In winter, I usually drink my bourbon straight or with just a few drops of water. In warmer weather, I like a large "on the rocks" glass filled with ice cubes and a large shot of bourbon. I will occasionally drink it on the rocks in winter and occasionally straight in summer.

Tim

Four tiny ice cubes(from the "under the bar" fridge).

They are completely melted within a few minutes.

I use a very old juice glass (atleast that is what I think it is)used to be my grand mother's and I somehow got the set. Works very well since it is small and is curved and wider at the top then the bottom, allows for good "nosing" I usually add two ice cubes, used to drink it all straight, but jus can't any more. Besides, I do notice that I get more flavors with a little dilution with most bourbons.

I have noted this fact, previously, but I was hooted down by everyone else claiming it only gives dilution.

You were being trolled...a certain poster started the whole "dilution" malarkey. He doesn't speak for me...that's for sure.

I usually drink neat (now in my new Ebay-purchased Riedel bourbon glasses -- which are remarkably similar to some $1-a-glass drinkware I found at Tuesday Morning, one of those discount/closeout stores in our area, and previously used). However, high-proof bourbons (like Stagg, Booker's) require some water to varying degrees, and almost everything is tried at some point with a few dribbles of water, ala s***ch.

When I first started drinking bourbon (Maker's and Wild Turkey) I would fill an old fashoned glass with ice and pour in the bourbon. Gradually I started adding less and less ice to the point of a single cube for a 2-3oz pour. As my palate began to refine a bit, and I began enjoying a broader range of bourbons, I found that ice really kind of dulled, or toned down some of the flavor components. Now I drink my bourbon mostly neat, but will add bottled, room temperature spring water from time to time to bring down proof or to open up a slightly tannic bourbon. Occasionally I will mix bourbon and Perrier in a 1:1 ratio and drink it over ice. I know it sounds awful, but it is quite refreshing on hot afternoons IMHO. toast.gif

I always drink my whisky neat. I don't consider this to be an affectation, since I have tried most other ways and I don't seem to enjoy it as much as I do straight. In fact, I never much cared for bourbon until I did start drinking it neat. Logically, this seems silly to me, since most whisky is diluted from barrel proof when it is bottled. Must be a mental block; go figger. crazy.gif

Nevertheless, I currently like my bourbon best at room temperature, unmodified, in a wide, thick, short, glass cylinder, although I've been itching to try a real tasting glass.

Of course, I have yet to try anything over 100 proof, so when I do I suspect I may discover certain advantages in a bit of room-temp spring water. tongue.gif

Most of the time, I drink it neat in a brandy snifter.

However, occasionally I will take a hiball glass and fill with chipped ice with a pour of BT or Knob Creek.

LOL. would that be with, or without, a straw! smile.gif

drinking their bourbon straight from the bottle??

Hey now...ya'll are startin' to embarrass me... smirk.gif EW7 makes a plastic bottle called a traveler that's pretty cool and fits nicely in a saddlebag...

Bj

>So no one admits to drinking their bourbon straight from the bottle??

In my younger days, we took inspiration from the movie Animal House,

and would fill an empty Jack Daniels bottle with iced tea so that we could

"chug the bottle". It makes people's eyes get REAL BIG when they see that...

Tim Dellinger

I was waiting for someone to suggest that. I wasn't about to jump straight to my insatiable thirst and the way I've learned to take my Bourbon through an IV drip.... rolleyes.gif

Usually straight, but some pours I prefer with a cube or two. In the summer, I occasionally like to fill a rocks glass with crushed ice from the fridge and then fill the glass up to the rim with bourbon, though I usually do this with 'cheaper' bourbon, not something like Hirsch 16, Pappy etc...

When I drank more scotch, years ago, I often enjoyed scotch with Perrier. I can imagine it would also be good with bourbon. Yes, very nice.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.