Calories in spirits...

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A simple formula will help you figure the calories in distilled spirits: number of ounces times proof times .08 equals calories. For example, a 1-ounce portion of 80 proof has about 64 caloires (1x8x.08=64). The higher the proof the more alcohol and calories a drink will contain. This fourmula does not apply to Liqueurs or other spirits that have added sugars.

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Wow, thanks, that's really handy! I think you made a slight typo (it should be .8 instead of .08), but that's a really useful formula. Now I can identify "low calorie" bourbon. And it's all relative. I just need to buy a bottle of something high enough in proof to make my current pour "low calorie" in comparison.

Let's see. An ounce and a half of Bookers (figuring around 128 proof) is 153 calories. So my ounce a half pour of Weller's 12 would be 108 calories. So it has 30% less calories.

Wow. Diet Bourbon. That's a scary thought. smile.gif

The formula as written yields .64 instead of 64. They're off by a factor of 100. drinking.gif

Ok, so ya'll help me here...I'm totally confused (there's something unusual... smirk.giflol.gifsmirk.gif)

The little clip Bettye Jo posted came from our Kentucky Standard on Monday. The article was full of interesting little tidbits. I have it laying here to incorporate some of them into my website. (Ya put me to shame Bettye Jo, I should have thought about posting it here...good catch... lol.gif)

But I don't want to add it if it's wrong... skep.gif

Please bear with me, I'm a right brainer. But I promise to listen real close... lol.gif.

Bj

It looks like the author left off the zero from 80, as in 80 proof. If you multiply by 80 (again, the proof) instead of just 8 (as published) you would get the correct asnwer. Just a typo.

Aaaaaahhhh! Now I get it (slaps her forehead... rolleyes.gif)!

Thanks Jeff...

Bj

Taaaaaaaaa Daaaaaaaaaa grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Daaa Daaa Taaa Daaaaaaaaaaaa grin.gif

Taaa Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Counting calories in bourbon? What's next, cholesterol? Sure I need to watch my calories (probably more than the rest of you), but I gave up pork rinds, foods fried in lard, and buttered bacon and egg sandwiches already. For goodness sake, it's the elixir of life, just drink it and the calories will take care of themselves. toast.gif

Nope, that yields 6.4. JBEWLEY was right before. The correct formula is 1x80x.8=64, at least that's the right way to get to an answer of 64. Therefore, the formula is (ounces)x(proof)x.8=(calories).

Gotta love the Kentucky Standard.

I'm as right-brained (or hair brained) as anybody. That's why I always run everything through the calculator about 5 times.

DOA! blush.gif

Thanks Chuck, I was pulling 1 piece of information from one post, and the rest from another. blush.gif

I'm as right-brained (or hair brained) as anybody. That's why I always run everything through the calculator about 5 times.

Chuck,

You're lucky. I never know from one minute to the next which side is in charge. grin.gif

I knew the original expression was wrong just by looking -- without even thinking about it. Then when I tried to come up with the correct version, my brain shut down (or transfered control to the other side), and I was forced to resort to the calculator to verify the correct expression by trial and error.

Even worse, I no longer have the qualifications to be "hair brained". I guess if anything I'm "hare brained" these days. grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Gotta love the Kentucky Standard.

lol.gif If you like the Standard, you'd love PLG13, the local cable channel. It's the Standard with sound... lol.giflol.gif

Thanks Chuck!

B-jo I did the math in my head and it came out right.

#1 My wife has trained me and women are always right.

#2 My brain moved the decimal point as it knew the correct answer.

I hope it was #2

#1 My wife has trained me and women are always right.

"Would you step a little closer to the microphone Sir...and say it again slowly?"

post-25-14489811425046_thumb.gif

My wife has trained me well also. I get out of line and one of my bourbon bottles get dumped.Happened to a Michter's

bourbon. I found the empty bottle in the bushes.

The bottle hadn't even been opened yet! Imagine some of your collection slowly disappearing.

Advice: Treat your lady better than you treat your

drink!

Michter's

bourbon. I found the empty bottle in the bushes.

Wheew...I'm female, and even I find that excessive... lol.gif (Unless of course, you were abusive. In which case, you wouldn't need to look for your bottle...lol.gif)

Depending on how pissed I was, I'd be more inclined to spend a night without you on the gambling boat, (in a suite with a jacuzzi of course) and curse you with a bottle WT 12 year old... smirk.gif

You know, to sort of clear my head before I did anything rash... lol.gif

Hope you managed to get another bottle.

Bj

No, I'm not abusive. We just had a disagreement.

Unfortunately I never got around to replacing the Michter's.

frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Calories? What calories? I do drink well iced diet coke on the side when I am consuming my Old Grand Dad. That is the extent of my calorie watchin. wink.gif

For anyone taking this calorie-counting thing too seriously, consider this:

Booker Noe, after a lifetime of sampling bourbon and eating country hams, lives to the age of 74.

Brian Maxwell, former world-ranked marathon runner and co-creator of the PowerBar, just died this past weekend of an apparent heart attack at 51 - New Story

You never know...

Mark

I have always heard that a drink a day won't kill ya grin.gif

I really believe that. This is a picture of my grandfather (Alvah Hall) and grandmother (Estella Lee). It was taken on the day they were married. No fuu fuu's there...just the I do's and off ya went. They lived in the hills near Marion County so I assume this pitcture was taken in one of the little communities nearby.

He ran a saw mill and made moonshine. Back then, everybody had a "still in the hills". They met during a barn dance. Papa was the caller. Their shoes, tell the tale grin.gif

My grandfather lived to the age of 94. He consumed a lot of "shine' in his time grin.gif Throughout my years growing up, I remember giving Papa a bottle of Maker's Mark on Christmas and on his Birthday. He always, started his day with a shot of it in his coffee. I believe that's what kept him on this earth so long.

I helped take care of him in the last months of his life. One morning he did not come out of his room. I kept knocking and hollering, Papa are you alright? He was stone deaf from working in a saw mill most of his life . Finally, I had to open the door, there he was sitting on the edge of the bed. I asked him what was wrong? He said he could not come outta the room til the top knot was combed lol.gif I just hugged him and fixed his hair (top knot). He then, whispered to me...did ya fix my coffee just right? I looked into those pretty blue eyes and told him "I got ya all fixed up" grin.gif

Papa, passed away, over twenty years ago. He lived to be 94. He had a sister that lived to be over a 100 years old. His brother (John Hall) lived to be 104 years old. I wonder crazy.gif Did they have shots in thier coffee too? grin.gif

post-20-14489811429499_thumb.jpg

Someone wise commented to me once, "There are a lot more old drunks than old doctors"

That's a wonderful picture and wonderful story! You must be proud of all your family history! I love seeing the old photos. toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.