A history of bourbon book?

Whiskey Lullaby
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am fascinated by history in general...and would love to learn more about the history of bourbon. Can anyone recommend a comprehensive book or e-book that would cover this well? I’d like to learn about how the early industry started and how it has evolved into what it is today. Thanks in advance for the help!

• I like it 1

Reid Mitenbuler's "Bourbon Empire"

Fred Minnick's "Bourbon Curious" and "Bourbon: the Rise and Fall and Rebirth . . ."

Mike Veach's "Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey, an American Heritage"

Clay Risen's "American Whiskey"

Lew Bryson's "Tasting Whiskey"

CHUCK COWDERY's "Bourbon Straight" and "Bourbon Strange" and his BCR newsletter (I have read both books several times, have annotated my hardcopy B.Strange, and give hard copies to friends expressing an interest in bourbon; his blog contains additional reading materials)

Apologies to those authors on SB whose books I did not list.  Please see the next paragraphs.

Also, repeated and creative use of "search" for "books" and "chemistry" etc. and perusing the "History" threads should turn up discussions and references to books on the distilling process as well as the distilled spirits business.

Also, the books above have good bibliographies listing books from the 1960s-1980s, many of which I have found on eBay and on Amazon's third party sellers.

• I like it 2

As usual, Harry is a wealth of knowledge. I have most of Minnick’s and Cowdery’s books, but need to check out some of these others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

As usual, Harry is a wealth of knowledge. I have most of Minnick’s and Cowdery’s books, but need to check out some of these others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, there is that non-bourbon book by Fred Minnick - "Camera Boy" - about his Iraq War experiences.  He was in Public Affairs as a picture-taker. (DUH!)  Paperback and Amazon Kindle ($4).  I get no cut and have never met him, but I did enjoy his stories.

Oh, I forgot to mention that internet searches for those named above will turn up additional blogs as well as some historical sites to which they've contributed.  For example, Mike Veach was an historian for The Filson Historical Society in Louisville (https://filsonhistorical.org/) which has lots of online info about Kentucky as well as whiskey.

• I like it 2

Here's a few more to add to the list.

Henry G. Crowgey: Kentucky Bourbon  The Early Years Of Whiskey Making

Ron Givens: Bourbon At It's Best

Sally Van Winkle Campbell: But Always Fine Bourbon   Pappy Van Winkle And The Story Of Old Fitzgerald

Gary and Mardee Regan: The Book Of Bourbon And Other Fine American Whiskies

Not history, but if you like cocktails, there's Joy Perrine and Susan Reigler's The Kentucky Bourbon Cocktail Book

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Ooooops. I forgot one. :huh: This is a book I don't have yet, but actually almost bought this past weekend.

Colin Spoelman and David Haskell: Dead Distillers  A History Of The Upstarts And Outlaws Who Made America's Spirits

Biba! Joe

Thanks everyone for all of the great info. I really appreciate it. Can’t wait to get started on learning more! 

• I like it 1

I sort of inherited a book from my wife's grandfather - The Social History Of Bourbon by Carson, copyrighted early 1960 something (don't have it handy to check).  Anyway, a real page turner with lots of info about the early days: colonial times, civil war, prohibition, etc ...

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

I sort of inherited a book from my wife's grandfather - The Social History Of Bourbon by [Gerald] Carson, copyrighted early 1960 something (don't have it handy to check).  Anyway, a real page turner with lots of info about the early days: colonial times, civil war, prohibition, etc ...

First edition was 1963.  U. of Kentucky Press reprinted it in August 2010 with a Forward by Mike Veach.  $15 on Amazon (12 left as of today!), and the Kindle version is $10.  It is a fun read - fairly accurate history although "lore" does get incorporated as "fact".  Later works listed in the posts above show that to be true, but "The Social History" is still worth reading.

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

First edition was 1963.  U. of Kentucky Press reprinted it in August 2010 with a Forward by Mike Veach.  $15 on Amazon (12 left as of today!), and the Kindle version is $10.  It is a fun read - fairly accurate history although "lore" does get incorporated as "fact".  Later works listed in the posts above show that to be true, but "The Social History" is still worth reading.

11 copies left.   :P

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

First edition was 1963.  U. of Kentucky Press reprinted it in August 2010 with a Forward by Mike Veach.  $15 on Amazon (12 left as of today!),...

Thanks!  Now it's 10 left.

Have several of the above titles and they're all really good, but I read both of Cowdery's books cover to cover in the shortest time - just couldn't put 'em down.

On 3/22/2018 at 2:27 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Ooooops. I forgot one. :huh: This is a book I don't have yet, but actually almost bought this past weekend.

Colin Spoelman and David Haskell: Dead Distillers  A History Of The Upstarts And Outlaws Who Made America's Spirits

Biba! Joe

Buy it!  Just finished it and really enjoyed it!  

Not a definitive and all inclusive history - left me wanting more detail more than a few times (detail that's available elsewhere) - but quite a good read IMHO.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.