UK Trip, what to buy

birdie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Off to the UK in a few weeks, passing through Heathrow Duty Free on the way back, if that makes any difference. Have about an $800 budget and want to pick up something I can not get in the US, thinking 2 or 3 bottles rather than 1, so anyone got any suggestions. I tend to like Speyside products and Lagavulin and have more of a 'sweet' tooth rather than smoky or medicinal taste.

I hate to be negative, but I've been through Heathrow 4 times in the last 8 years and have yet to find anything worth buying. With your budget, IMHO you'd be better off doing your shopping while in the UK and have the bottles shipped home (unless you're able to pack them in your check-in luggage)

There's probably a few SB'ers here that can steer you towards some great whisky shops

Just passed through Heathrow last week, they do have a fair few whiskies but I would say nothing you can't find in most liquor stores in the U.S. There was a few duty free exclusives, but I didn't notice anything interesting to me, no peaty islays anyway. They probably do have a couple of Speysides though. Most of their stuff is online:

http://www.worldofwhiskies.com/

Are you visiting the UK or just stopping at Heathrow? 

Depending on where you're heading I can probably help.

Going through Heathrow on the way home, spending most of the time near Wellingborough and Northampton with family.

If all else fails, and they have it, Jack Daniels Silver Select is actually a pretty nice whiskey. 

Biba! Joe

41 minutes ago, birdie said:

Going through Heathrow on the way home, spending most of the time near Wellingborough and Northampton with family.

Well Heathrow doesn't have much to offer, as others have said, sadly. 

My advice would be to (if you can) take advantage of UK & European websites that ship and order ahead. You could do very well. 

Thank you, I already spoke to MoM and they will deliver to my hotel which is great, I am also going to see if any of the french stores will do that as well.

Balvenie Peated 14yr can be found at Heathrow outgoing.

"Airport Exclusive"

I really like it.

Edited by The Black Tot

8 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Balvenie Peated 14yr can be found at Heathrow outgoing.

"Airport Exclusive"

I really like it.

Is that different than the Peat Week they sell here?

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Is that different than the Peat Week they sell here?

Yes. The airport one is a triple cask.

https://www.drinkhacker.com/2017/09/10/review-the-balvenie-doublewood-12-years-old-peated-triple-cask-14-years-old-and-peat-week-14-years-old-2002/

The author of this article liked the non travel one better, but his complaint was that the triple cask comes off too peaty. I disagree with him, it's still a nice light peat. And I'm no peat head.

I haven't tried the non-triple peat week.

Either way the only way you're going to get to try the triple cask is if you score some at an airport, so here's your opportunity.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/23/2018 at 9:30 PM, birdie said:

I fly home Saturday through Heathrow and will let you know what I find.

How did this work out?

Heathrow Duty Free was terrible, luckily I kind of thought it would be so got Masters of Malt to deliver two bottles of Diplomatic Ambassador to my hotel and they came home with me, opened one and really like it.

Heathrow had some nice high end whiskies, shelf fulls of Jack Daniels and hardly any rum.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.