What Beer Are You Drinking Spring/Summer 2018

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anderson Valley Brewing Amber Ale. I thought it was fantastic with the sauce on my duck. 

3 hours into a 6 spare rib cook, and drinking some Heavy Seas Below Decks barley wine from a tap from a local liquor store. Father’s Day weekend starting off well!

2811220F-6A21-4B20-B8E2-2139765326AE.jpeg

• I like it 2

About to open up one of these. Never had it before, but several people recommended it to me.IMG_8324.JPG

This was a little too dank for me. Was hoping the barrel influence would tame the bitterness like last year's Doom release but this stuff kept its red IPA character. 65 ibu tastes more like 80 to me. 

20180619_203928-1209x1612.jpg

A 2017 KBS with some home made fish (crappie) and chips. Going to compare it to a 2018 here shortly.

20180620_195210-1209x1612.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

At Two Roads Brewing in Stratford,  CT sampling the new Typecast-- a Two Roads/Lawson's Finest Liquids collaboration.

IMG_9692.thumb.JPG.6d1140674c08b267dcd9dd12f05eb623.JPG

Edited by Marekv8

Russell Wee Angry Scotch Ale, a wonderful beer from a B.C. Canadian brewery. Extremely dark in color but very refreshing and malty, not too heavy with maybe a touch of peat?

Edited by Vosgar

I wanted something to hold me over till dinner so I had an Avery Tweak Stout. what a great beer. 

• I like it 1

Brooklyn Brewery Lager.  I’m not crazy about this brewery’s beers in general, as they tend to be too subdued IMO.  That said, I enjoy them and love Brooklyn.  This beer is one of their better ones, and one that is very versatile in how it drinks with different foods, weather, settings, etc. Well rounded with nice color and mouthfeel, but still drinkable on a hot and muggy day like today.  

685DE9AE-82B9-4316-BAB9-CC6FA6D2A2C3.jpeg

Budweiser Freedom Reserve red lager. Stumbled across a six pack at a convenience store up in the mountains, and enjoyed it. One of the only reds I've had that isn't either hopped up, like some CA craft breweries do, or has a weird red ale character I don't much like. 

I wanted something to hold me over till dinner so I had an Avery Tweak Stout. what a great beer. 

Mmm Avery Tweak. Love that stuff.

I am drinking an inferior but still good beer, the Bruery Terreux Quadrupel Tonnellerie. It’s sour, it’s stout, it’s Belgian. There’s a lot going on.

Here's something new - Pabst American Pale Ale.  There is a lot of citrus and pine in the nose.  It pours a big creamy head that eventually goes down, but coats the inside of the glass.  Color is just a little darker than regular PBR.  Taste is not as hoppy as it smells.  Hops are there, but not overwhelming.  Nice mouth feel.  Carbonation is mild.  Sweet, tart, and hops bitterness all very balanced.  Very well done.

Went beer tasting at Barrelhouse, then Cider Tasting at Tin City, both in Paso Robles/Templeton, CA. Not too impressed really, but I'm glad I gave them a try. Most of Barrelhouse's offerings I tried I could much more easily and happily substitute for either other craft offerings or even something like Budweiser...craft is not necessarily better. I don't plan on touching the cider stuff again. They all tasted and felt like slightly carbonated Wine, but I'm not really a wine drinker. 

On 6/30/2018 at 5:00 PM, Lenient said:

Went beer tasting at Barrelhouse, then Cider Tasting at Tin City, both in Paso Robles/Templeton, CA. Not too impressed really, but I'm glad I gave them a try. Most of Barrelhouse's offerings I tried I could much more easily and happily substitute for either other craft offerings or even something like Budweiser...craft is not necessarily better. I don't plan on touching the cider stuff again. They all tasted and felt like slightly carbonated Wine, but I'm not really a wine drinker. 

Dont let that scare you off the cider altogether. There are some really great ciders out there, but unfortunately there are also a lot of stinkers. I tend to stick with French ciders since I’ve had a lot of bad domestic ciders. There are several US producers growing good cider apples and making some good stuff though. 

I pulled a barrel-aged Old Rasputin XIV out of the bunker tonight. These are always solid but they never stand out.

Vacation beer from Denali Brewing. My son-in-law had the IPA while I went for the ale. Both were very good, but unfortunately aren't available here in the midwest.

Denali beer.jpg

It's been a handful of years since I've had this, and it still hits the spot. Surely was allegedly going to start distributing to Missouri. They need to get the deal done, cause I'm a fan. 

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

20180704_152344.jpg

Mission Brewing California Craft Lager. Enjoying it a lot on the 4th here. It's reminiscent of Budweiser which is what I wanted to have some of today. Also having some Budweiser and North Coast Brewing Scrimshaw Pilsner. All lighter colored and lighter style beers for hot 4th of July day drinking!

Edited by Lenient

I enjoyed a Transient Artisan Ales Obligatory IPA today along with a small pour of a raspberry mead from a new meadery, Grimsby's Hollow.  That mead is near the best I've ever had.

Five days ago, I had nothing to do so I made the 90 minute drive to Bell's in Kalamazoo.  I got a growler of Honey Hearted from their General Store.  It's a barrel aged IPA weighing in at a hefty 14.4%.  The employees there told me it drinks like a bourbon barrel aged mead.  I'm dying to try it but I have to wait when I have friends to drink with.  That's just too much rich beer to drink in one sitting.

There’s yardwork like cutting the grass, trimming, etc.  That’s just a part of home ownership.  Then, there’s that cleaning out the overgrown crappy area of the yard, that you just sweat 4 times as much and are sure you’re getting poison ivy.  That’s me today, so I’m going to enjoy my little rest with this nicely quenching Brooklyn Summer Ale.

4E3B0539-500A-4234-BDDF-E4B2560F9D4B.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Then, there’s that cleaning out the overgrown crappy area of the yard, that you just sweat 4 times as much and are sure you’re getting poison ivy.  

That was me yesterday, too! Bamboo, elaeagnus, ivy, privet, etc... followed by a little pool time with the kids. Sure was a beautiful day in Atlanta.

3 different beers tonight

Kona's classic, the Longboard. 

Anchor Brewing's citrusy "San Franscycho" IPA--surprisingly refreshing and lightly hopped for a California IPA. 

Now Anchor Brewing's smooth Brewer's Pale Ale--again not too hoppy for me at all. 

Red Hare Classic Craft Light Lager at The Park. Sweating like a pig, praying for a cloud and breeze now and then, but thankful in club level, so can go in for AC occasionally.  Damn I’m turning into a wuss...ier...????

92616977-F300-4459-AF47-50091CCB06CB.jpeg

• I like it 1

Just picked this up today. Haven't tried it yet. I really liked the "regular" milf. I'm a big peated Scotch fan and the reviews all said this has peat in spades. I just wish it was aged in an Ardbeg barrel vs a Laphroaig.

20180718_183424-784x1613.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.