Where are all the age statements going? What's new?

Dannabis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Excuse me if this is just an issue for me locally, albeit not much of an issue since there is always something good to drink. 

But I feel like many of my old pours may be losing their age statements.

I can't seem to find Elijah Craig 12 year or Henry McKenna 10 year anymore.

Standing in even large selection liquor aisles I feel like I see few if any age statements.

Grateful to have my favorite bargain pours still available like EWBIB and I even stumble on caches of OGD114 from time to time

I feel like over the last 5+ years I have spent less time in the liquor stores and things may have changed a bit.

I think I knew it was coming but still slightly disheartening. 

Glad to be a bunker-er when I find my pours.

Picked up some Russell's Reserve with a 10 year age statement for $28 ~ $29 ish recently and was happy to get that.

What are some changes that you've seen over the past half decade to pours?

and what newer products have you been pleasantly surprised with?

I will say I got given a bottle of Stranahan's Colorado Bourbon, the yellow label, which is usually too pricey for my tastes, and it was actually a very unique pour, with lots of oak and char to her and a compelling taste. Still, my go to is usually the $25 - $30 pour at a higher proof or a BIB label preferably.

Excuse me if this is just an issue for me locally, albeit not much of an issue since there is always something good to drink. 
But I feel like many of my old pours may be losing their age statements.

I can't seem to find Elijah Craig 12 year or Henry McKenna 10 year anymore.

Standing in even large selection liquor aisles I feel like I see few if any age statements.

Grateful to have my favorite bargain pours still available like EWBIB and I even stumble on caches of OGD114 from time to time

I feel like over the last 5+ years I have spent less time in the liquor stores and things may have changed a bit.
I think I knew it was coming but still slightly disheartening. 
Glad to be a bunker-er when I find my pours.

Picked up some Russell's Reserve with a 10 year age statement for $28 ~ $29 ish recently and was happy to get that.

What are some changes that you've seen over the past half decade to pours?

and what newer products have you been pleasantly surprised with?

I will say I got given a bottle of Stranahan's Colorado Bourbon, the yellow label, which is usually too pricey for my tastes, and it was actually a very unique pour, with lots of oak and char to her and a compelling taste. Still, my go to is usually the $25 - $30 pour at a higher proof or a BIB label preferably.

I was going to ask if you've been living on a deserted island or a cave or something for the last half decade, but you stated that you really haven't spent much time in liquor stores during that time. So apparently you aren't aware that there is a bourbon boom going on right now, and there has been for several years. Age statements have been dropping because inventories of excess older bourbon were depleted. Elijah Craig 12yr has been out of production for more than two years. Old Charter, Ancient Age, Very Old Barton, Jim Beam Black and many others have lost age statements as well. Henry McKenna and Eagle Rare still have their age statements, but time will tell if they keep them. I think many age statements will eventually return, but that's probably not going to happen for at least ten years or more until a likely inventory glut forces the age statements to return in order for distillers to be competitive in a glut market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

8 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I was going to ask if you've been living on a deserted island or a cave or something for the last half decade, but you stated that you really haven't spent much time in liquor stores during that time. So apparently you aren't aware that there is a bourbon boom going on right now, and there has been for several years. Age statements have been dropping because inventories of excess older bourbon were depleted. Elijah Craig 12yr has been out of production for more than two years. Old Charter, Ancient Age, Very Old Barton, Jim Beam Black and many others have lost age statements as well. Henry McKenna and Eagle Rare still have their age statements, but time will tell if they keep them. I think many age statements will eventually return, but that's probably not going to happen for at least ten years or more until a likely inventory glut forces the age statements to return in order for distillers to be competitive in a glut market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes,agree with above. Also, HM10 is still available for 30 to 35 range. Old Ezra 7 year still is label stated and available in the 25 range. But for how much longer? My best guess not long.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 6:59 PM, cdcdguy said:

Yes,agree with above. Also, HM10 is still available for 30 to 35 range. Old Ezra 7 year still is label stated and available in the 25 range. But for how much longer? My best guess not long.

That is good news my friends. 

It was booming when I sort of dropped out (still havent  managed to thin my bunker much either)

I guess I shouldnt be surprised. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.