Jump to content

Rye Talk (2018) Purchases-Enjoyment


bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

2A518D83-C69F-4A92-A379-2DE7A2A7D63F.thumb.jpeg.b85a8de109cf088dc15984f5b4416a9c.jpeg

 

The best rye I’ve tasted so far. Cheers!

 

Will.

I'm a big fan as well.

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • kevinbrink

    25

  • 0895

    21

  • Clueby

    9

  • kcgumbohead

    8

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish they would've had multiple bottles. 

Kentucky Owl 11 this evening. Really liking this! 

Not really in the market for anything today but not going to pass on this:    

Posted Images

kevinbrink

While having a mostly unsuccessful dusty hunting adventure today I stopped in a store that had these priced individually at $30 a pop and curiosity got the best of me.

 y4mMdQkjDnX82zIzOGuJDF87y1mnCmEFb-TdTF_6

Edited by kevinbrink
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never tried rye much; the only rye I had in the recent past was Bulleit rye, which I got for sazeracs--ironically I didn't get sazerac rye for that. However I got a bottle of Sazerac recently and finished it. Seemed smoother neat than the Bulleit, although by the same stroke seemed weaker. I'd imagine Sazerac is meant more for the cocktail. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a side-by-side tonight with LS&B 18y and it’s younger brother Hochstadter’s 16y BP

The 16 year wins..... the higher proof really makes this Rye. Most Canadian Ryes are not very creamy, and the 16y is. Very good. 

7178296A-A57B-4056-B68B-4806FF046712.thumb.jpeg.f1e7c4ad7ad0fa6589184930a5028275.jpeg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
KyleCBreese
On 5/5/2018 at 11:38 PM, kevinbrink said:

While having a mostly unsuccessful dusty hunting adventure today I stopped in a store that had these priced individually at $30 a pop and curiosity got the best of me.

 y4mMdQkjDnX82zIzOGuJDF87y1mnCmEFb-TdTF_6

I passed on a set at $75. Let me know how it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
16 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

I passed on a set at $75. Let me know how it is.

Sure will do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Masset1982
18 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Having a side-by-side tonight with LS&B 18y and it’s younger brother Hochstadter’s 16y BP

The 16 year wins..... the higher proof really makes this Rye. Most Canadian Ryes are not very creamy, and the 16y is. Very good. 

7178296A-A57B-4056-B68B-4806FF046712.thumb.jpeg.f1e7c4ad7ad0fa6589184930a5028275.jpeg

I'm more intrigued about the Noah's Mill with an age statement, is it better than the no age statement ? Sorry if i'm off topic. 

About those ryes, didn't enjoy the LS & B 16yo (never tried the 18yo), too earthy/herbal for me, someone sent some sample of the Hoch and i liked it better, but at the end, i'm not a big fan of 100% rye whiskey, that's why i prefer the KO or the Handy, more bourbony (don't know if i can call it that way, but that's the only i can describe those). You seem to have plenty of good stashed in the back ground and probably somewhere else, enjoy and cheers! 

 

Will.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to pick up and try another rye. Tried Rittehouse--not a fan so far. It just seems to have a weird taste. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

I'm more intrigued about the Noah's Mill with an age statement, is it better than the no age statement ? Sorry if i'm off topic. 

About those ryes, didn't enjoy the LS & B 16yo (never tried the 18yo), too earthy/herbal for me, someone sent some sample of the Hoch and i liked it better, but at the end, i'm not a big fan of 100% rye whiskey, that's why i prefer the KO or the Handy, more bourbony (don't know if i can call it that way, but that's the only i can describe those). You seem to have plenty of good stashed in the back ground and probably somewhere else, enjoy and cheers! 

 

Will.

I have to admit that I'm not a big 100% Rye fan ether, but I do enjoy it from time to time. The Hoch 16y is the better of the 2, but still can't touch Jeffersons 10y NCF. 

The NM 15y was a great bourbon, next to the Willett FE Single Barrells it was my favorite from KBD. 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember that Jefferson's 10 year NCF.  It was great.  Later tried the regular version and found it just average.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Masset1982
11 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I have to admit that I'm not a big 100% Rye fan ether, but I do enjoy it from time to time. The Hoch 16y is the better of the 2, but still can't touch Jeffersons 10y NCF. 

The NM 15y was a great bourbon, next to the Willett FE Single Barrells it was my favorite from KBD. 

Me too, from time to time, but i'm reaching for a bourbon 9 out of ten times anyway. Never had the Jeffersons 10, but at 47% ABV, it's pass anyway. About NM 15yr, now i really want to try ha ha. Thx for the heads up. 

 

Will. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Masset1982

Tasting some Canadian’s stuff tonight, some Lot 40 CS, still not a fan of 100% rye whiskey, but I can’t say it’s not good, I see why rye fans love this stuff. I’m glad I’m able to try it, since it’s a Canadian release only. 

 

Cheers! 

 

Will.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
kcgumbohead

I picked up a new one for me, Rittenhouse BIB, had a quick taste and the initial results are very positive, another stellar HH BIB added to the list.

  • I like it 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tasting some Canadian’s stuff tonight, some Lot 40 CS, still not a fan of 100% rye whiskey, but I can’t say it’s not good, I see why rye fans love this stuff. I’m glad I’m able to try it, since it’s a Canadian release only. 
 
Cheers! 
 
Will.
I love that stuff! But I do love ryes in general like you say. If you decide you cant finish it, send it my way :)
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Masset1982
3 hours ago, reeko said:

I love that stuff! But I do love ryes in general like you say. If you decide you cant finish it, send it my way :)

Ha ha, I only a 2oz sample from a good friend who’s stocking up, he’s from Switzerland and he’s trading for those, I think he’s got 5 bottles now. 

After my post, I decided to do a sbs with the Hoch 16yo (also a sample from my buddy). They are not boxing in the same category, the Hoch won the fight, more complex, thicker and oilier, but from a price point, the Lot 40 CS is pretty hard to beat, a quality 12 yo rye cask strength at that price is a steal, I’m afraid the price will go up for the further batches. 

Cheers! 

 

Will.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot
On 5/5/2018 at 10:38 PM, kevinbrink said:

While having a mostly unsuccessful dusty hunting adventure today I stopped in a store that had these priced individually at $30 a pop and curiosity got the best of me.

 y4mMdQkjDnX82zIzOGuJDF87y1mnCmEFb-TdTF_6

 

Another vote for a review on these :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

 

Another vote for a review on these :)

I'll try to get around to cracking them this week ????

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, KyleCBreese said:

I passed on a set at $75. Let me know how it is.

 

17 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

 

Another vote for a review on these :)

Ask and ye shall receive:

y4mdb4pQKH8UiBxF-b2FR53TmLf4Y65fSD2GIfD5

 

Aged Cask Rye: First impression was this feels like a spicy rye version of Mellow Corn, maybe just my brain rationalizing the used oak, subsequent sips really brought on new make/crafty kind of notes that I found less than enjoyable.

 

New Cask Rye: Leads with cherries, middle is all B/F Pot Still, and finish is bitter/sweet. This is an improvement on the used oak version but overwhelmingly the pot still dominant flavors that I think I often associate with craft whiskey was a clear line between the two.  

 

If you can't deduce from my notes here I would have rather spent my $60ish bucks on a number of other things. If you would like to replicate the experience I got pretty close by doing on 90/10 blend of Lot 40 and Hudson Rye and adding a splash of water:

 

y4mJ-snLDUSjOQ75ysSVGYBWrKfVKeTV-vtL5HTI

 

Needless to say I will likely be enjoying something else to close out the night probably trusty Laphroaig 10 CS to give a proper scorching of the earth that is my tongue. On the plus side I have a couple of friends who are big Woodford fans who will likely enjoy the opportunity to give these a shot.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot

Excellent! Thanks very much. I always wondered about those.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

If you can't deduce from my notes here I would have rather spent my $60ish bucks on a number of other things.

 

Nothing less from the Master's Collection :P

 

I was very excited to find these two on the shelf back around their release, but couldn't afford them back then. Today they are still sitting in the exact same spot :) And seeing them every week for years had really killed my enthusiasm to buy & try them today, so thanks for the review.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
KyleCBreese
22 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

 

Ask and ye shall receive:

y4mdb4pQKH8UiBxF-b2FR53TmLf4Y65fSD2GIfD5

 

Aged Cask Rye: First impression was this feels like a spicy rye version of Mellow Corn, maybe just my brain rationalizing the used oak, subsequent sips really brought on new make/crafty kind of notes that I found less than enjoyable.

 

New Cask Rye: Leads with cherries, middle is all B/F Pot Still, and finish is bitter/sweet. This is an improvement on the used oak version but overwhelmingly the pot still dominant flavors that I think I often associate with craft whiskey was a clear line between the two.  

 

If you can't deduce from my notes here I would have rather spent my $60ish bucks on a number of other things. If you would like to replicate the experience I got pretty close by doing on 90/10 blend of Lot 40 and Hudson Rye and adding a splash of water:

 

y4mJ-snLDUSjOQ75ysSVGYBWrKfVKeTV-vtL5HTI

 

Needless to say I will likely be enjoying something else to close out the night probably trusty Laphroaig 10 CS to give a proper scorching of the earth that is my tongue. On the plus side I have a couple of friends who are big Woodford fans who will likely enjoy the opportunity to give these a shot.

Thanks for saving me $75.

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
KyleCBreese

Purchased the KC Cask Strength. I don’t get much Rye spice at all. I’m guessing this is very high in corn and probably barely legal Rye at 51%. There isn’t much going on taste wise. It feels very one note. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
43 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

Purchased the KC Cask Strength. I don’t get much Rye spice at all. I’m guessing this is very high in corn and probably barely legal Rye at 51%. There isn’t much going on taste wise. It feels very one note. 

I grabbed it today too, I like it quite a bit, but I also quite like the regular KC Rye, it tastes like a more oak driven amplified version of that which is pretty much what I was hoping for. I think it is really a good buy for the price (paid $58.99) and a few drops of water really brought forward some more rye notes, it does drink a bit hotter than I expected for the proof neat. Also a major improvement over last nights pours!

y4moLYmMS43i69RXTrwgw-2ot1SfK2N7dpEkUb9a

Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink

I said this to the other NJ guys the other day but sometimes I pour this and I think this is one of the best ryes I have ever had, tonight is one of those nights.

y4mAKP9GShxJWQzggcLUladEnLnFAVfxyiZ8vm9S

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.