SKU on MGP

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2018/4/17/the-new-mgp-whiskeys.html

Enjoyed this article by SKU (and glad to see him writing again). I am a fan of the MGP 75-21-4 mashbill that Smooth Ambler and Belle Meade utilized for a lot of their single barrel picks but I must confess I stayed away from sourced stuff initially based on faulty ‘well that is sourced stuff and a lot of NDPs can shady so best to avoid it’. A saos 10 changed my mind. 

I almost feel MGP stuff is kind of like a ‘bourbon double trick question’ type of thing. First part is yes they supply a boat load of whiskey to some NDPs of varying honesty. Second part is they produce some damn fine whiskey. Anyway, worth a read. 

• I like it 7

13 hours ago, Mako254 said:

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2018/4/17/the-new-mgp-whiskeys.html

Enjoyed this article by SKU (and glad to see him writing again). I am a fan of the MGP 75-21-4 mashbill that Smooth Ambler and Belle Meade utilized for a lot of their single barrel picks but I must confess I stayed away from sourced stuff initially based on faulty ‘well that is sourced stuff and a lot of NDPs can shady so best to avoid it’. A saos 10 changed my mind. 

I almost feel MGP stuff is kind of like a ‘bourbon double trick question’ type of thing. First part is yes they supply a boat load of whiskey to some NDPs of varying honesty. Second part is they produce some damn fine whiskey. Anyway, worth a read. 

It didn't take too many $60 and $70 bottles from "Bunghole distillery" or "Blue Willow Creek distillery" or whatever crafty new name fancy place about which the LS guy says "This is really good stuff" or "This is one of my favorites" before I got really gun shy of sourced stuff... Then I read all the SB.com reviews of SAOS and gave it a try. I have some single barrel SAOS bottles that I don't want to open because the first one was amongst my favorites of all time and I'm not ready to see my last one go... Which then made me wonder if SA can do it... could there be others out there that are matching or maybe even exceeding what SA is doing? Might be time for a thread dedicated to exceptional MGP brands that could be flying under the radar...

JT, 

similar experiences. I’vr had some Belle Meade singles that are very very good. If you come across one, give it a try. 

• I like it 2

I'm sorry I missed the SAOS stuff that they aren't making anymore, because I think the SAOS American Whiskey I've had is fantastic.

25 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Which then made me wonder if SA can do it... could there be others out there that are matching or maybe even exceeding what SA is doing? Might be time for a thread dedicated to exceptional MGP brands that could be flying under the radar...

Even SA can’t do it anymore. At least not at their old volumes, which necessitated the end of SAOS 7 and Ten. They aren’t particularly suited to me, but be glad we still have the single barrels in some quantity. 

• I like it 2

On 4/20/2018 at 1:12 PM, Mako254 said:

JT, 

similar experiences. I’vr had some Belle Meade singles that are very very good. If you come across one, give it a try. 

I second this. I picked up a bottle of Belle Meade Single Barrel over the weekend and it’s fantastic. One of my new favs. Highly recommend it. 

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.