It's the last bourbon on earth, but you'd still pass it up

Lenient
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's not a bourbon, but Catoctin Creek Rye belongs on this page.  Almost spit it out when I tasted it. 

Almost any blend hits me the wrong way.  Harsh, with objectionable flavors akin to armpits, manure and toxic chemicals.  On the other hand, I think the basic formula for a KSB works to insure good whiskey.  I troll the bottom shelves, and so far have enjoyed every KSB I've tried to the last drop.

And, I have no idea why these images are showing up.  I've tried to delete them every way possible.  I do really enjoy Teelings though. 

image.png

image.png

Edited by musekatcher
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, musekatcher said:

Almost any blend hits me the wrong way.  Harsh, with objectionable flavors akin to armpits, manure and toxic chemicals.  On the other hand, I think the basic formula for a KSB works to insure good whiskey.  I troll the bottom shelves, and so far have enjoyed every KSB I've tried to the last drop.

And, I have no idea why these images are showing up.  I've tried to delete them every way possible.  I do really enjoy Teelings though. 

image.png

image.png

If Old Camp is representative of blends involving bourbon, I'm not much of a fan. I might still imbibe if it was all that was left forever, at least if it was Old Camp and I could at least put it on the rocks. But I'm also a whiskey/bourbon debutante ;)

I'd like to change my answer....I completely forgot about this experience I documented in the forum "Worst Bourbon I ever tasted"...

Posted February 20, 2017 (edited)

I picked up a 50ml bottle of something called "Batch 12" Bourbon from Heritage Distilling Company in Washington State. I didn't expect much and still got disappointed. It was like nosing a can of creamed corn. Tasted like liquified creamed corn as well. The first bourbon I couldn't even get through 50mls of. Two sips and straight down the sink. 

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a commercial on TV the other day for a new bourbon; George Dickel with Tabasco. No doubt in my mind that this one would leap to the head of the least favorite list.

Saw a commercial on TV the other day for a new bourbon; George Dickel with Tabasco. No doubt in my mind that this one would leap to the head of the least favorite list.

I think it’s actually Dickel Tennessee Whiskey finished in old Tabasco barrels (which were previously used bourbon barrels before being used to age Tabasco). It may be awful, but I’m intrigued to try it...before I purchase a bottle.

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I think it’s actually Dickel Tennessee Whiskey finished in old Tabasco barrels (which were previously used bourbon barrels before being used to age Tabasco). It may be awful, but I’m intrigued to try it...before I purchase a bottle.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/05/15/george-dickel-s-award-winning-tabasco-whisky-hits-shelves.html

I might try a 50 ml because after all, it's an award winning whiskey. 

Edited by DCFan
The smiley faces don't work anymore.
  • I like it 1

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/05/15/george-dickel-s-award-winning-tabasco-whisky-hits-shelves.html

I might try a 50 ml because after all, it's an award winning whiskey. 

Glad to see that they are making 50ml bottles, so I'll try at least one of those. They clearly are doing more than just finishing the whisky in the Tabasco barrels since they are adding a Tabasco Sauce "essence," which likely means a Tabasco syrup and lowering the proof to 70 proof. This very possibly could end up being the worst whisky/liqueur I've ever tasted, but it might be a pleasant surprise, especially since I like both Tabasco and Dickel separately.

Any of the spirits or beers with hot pepper added taste damned awful to me.  I do like spicy food.  Maybe the Tabasco in the Dickel masks the vitamin flavor?  I'll let someone else take one for the team.

14 hours ago, DCFan said:

This showed up at my LS Tuesday.  Manager said he got to taste it, and just gave me this look...  you know, the "I wish I didn't make that mistake" look.  

• I like it 1

I've had the Southern Comfort Fiery Pepper or whatever its called.  I think that is 70 proof like most SC.  I like tobasco, and I even like the standard SC flavor, but I regretted having a drink of it.  But SC is a "spirit whiskey", which means it can be as little as 5% whiskey for the base and the rest can be neutral grain spirits.  I don't know what the Dickel is for sure in this beverage.

Not actually a bourbon, but Yellow Rose whiskey is perhaps the worst I’ve had. Can’t even describe the taste other than gross. 

31 minutes ago, TSNeat said:

Not actually a bourbon, but Yellow Rose whiskey is perhaps the worst I’ve had. Can’t even describe the taste other than gross. 

Interesting.  I certainly haven't purchased another bottle of it recently, but I never found anything offensive about it.  It just didn't have any distinctive flavors or characteristics I crave either.  All those recipes seem to blend together into a pretty neutral bourbon to my palate.

3 hours ago, Jav said:

Interesting.  I certainly haven't purchased another bottle of it recently, but I never found anything offensive about it.  It just didn't have any distinctive flavors or characteristics I crave either.  All those recipes seem to blend together into a pretty neutral bourbon to my palate.

Is there a chance you may have had their “outlaw” branded bourbon instead? I believe that bourbon is better reviewed, the blended whiskey offering I tried did not sit well with me. Granted, someone had left it at my house and I only gave it a few sips before putting it in the cabinet with the mixers. 

Edited by TSNeat

Since you made reference to “all those recipes...”, I think you might be confusing Yellow Rose with Four Roses Yellow Label straight bourbon.

Certainly many contenders, especially among the "craft" distillery world that used small barrels under 2 years old. Stein bourbon from Oregon certainly created a charred burning hole in my memory...

• I like it 1

It's not a bourbon, but it is white dog with coffee added. I enjoy coffee, I enjoy bourbon in my coffee, but this stuff was really really bad. I also had their proofed down white dog and thought it was almost equally as bad. I wanted to like a local craft distiller, but I don't. 20180522_160633.thumb.jpg.b0b824e633c2bcc6e6c622f441671a6e.jpg

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Certainly many contenders, especially among the "craft" distillery world that used small barrels under 2 years old. Stein bourbon from Oregon certainly created a charred burning hole in my memory...

Hahahaha! The source for current Black Maple Hill.

18 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

It's not a bourbon, but it is white dog with coffee added. I enjoy coffee, I enjoy bourbon in my coffee, but this stuff was really really bad. I also had their proofed down white dog and thought it was almost equally as bad. I wanted to like a local craft distiller, but I don't. 

Try the 5 year old rally point rye.  You'll change your tune.... and beg for another sip.  The double barrel rye is also pretty darn good.

I'm with you on some of the other stuff though.  I find their products to be very hit or miss.

19 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Hahahaha! The source for current Black Maple Hill.

Their bourbon is about the only thing that makes their rye taste better.

(Mr. Yuck sticker face emoji that doesn't exist yet)

I cannot understand why people are paying so much for this garbage.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:25 PM, lcpfratn said:

Since you made reference to “all those recipes...”, I think you might be confusing Yellow Rose with Four Roses Yellow Label straight bourbon.

Ah, reading comprehension issues!  Thanks.

• I like it 1

I would have to agree that I would walk by anything from a microdistiller.  More often than not, they are awful. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.