Jellied Bourbon

LeNell
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I found this cute little book FRIED COFFEE & JELLIED BOURBON for my partner's Valentine's Day basket. It has this great recipe:

JELLIED BOURBON

2/3 CUP bourbon

1 TBSP plain gelatin

1/3 CUP sugar

1 1/3 CUPS boiling water

1/3 CUP orange juice

Dissolve the gelatin in the bourbon. Pour into the boiling water, add the sugar and orange juice, stir well and pour into custard cups. Let it cool and put in fridge.

Quite tasty with hot, buttered homemade buttermilk biscuits. Lemme know if you want my biscuit recipe.

Now that's just cool... smirk.gif

I've got to try that. Wonder if you could use cranberry juice instead of orange juice?

I'm sure you could use any juice. The orange is quite tasty. I used Ezra Brooks 90 in mine. So now y'all have a good way of having your bourbon with breakfast. lol.gif

Lemme know if you want my biscuit recipe.

Well of course!

Lemme know if you want my country ham recipe.

Actually I used to give it to everyone but now it's as closely guarded as a hundred year old Mashbill! wink.gif

SIMPLE BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

I've tried a gazillion recipes for biscuits; yet, I always come back to this simple one. Sometimes I serve hot biscuits on Sundays at the store if you catch me when I open at noon. You should see the Yankee grins I get when I offer hot biscuits. grin.gif

2 cups Martha White self rising flour (no other flour will do)

1 stick salted butter (unsalted will work, but I'm a salthead)

about 3/4 cup buttermilk (don't skimp here and get some cheap off brand...more fat the better, too)

Preheat oven to 500. Cut the cold butter in small pieces and blend it in with the flour using the back of a fork or one of them fancy handheld pastry cutters. Mix in just enough buttermilk to make it all good and sticky. You can either do them as drop biscuits or cut outs. If you cut out, knead the dough 3 or 4 times and roll the dough out on a floured surface. Cut them with a cutter that has an open back in order not to squish all the air out of your dough. That means don't use a glass. If you don't have a biscuit cutter, you can use a clean tuna fish can that has both top and bottom removed (this'll make some big fat cat heads). Whatever you use, don't twist as you cut out so your sides will be nice and airy and not closed off. Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheet for 8-10 minutes. Don't forget to slather on some bourbon jelly!

• 1 month later...

Hey Tonya,

I have taken far too long saying this (in my own defense, it was Derby... smirk.gif) but, your Biscuits and Bourbon Jelly recipes were awesome! I took them to Ed and Patty's for the MM Mile Brunch.

Thanks much for those recipes!

Bj

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.