WT Kentucky Spirit vs Rare Breed 116.8

PiraSea
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’ve been able to get my hands on both now and have found that the Rare Breed 116.8 is a lot better to me than the single barrel 101 that is KY Spirit. 

Is this just just a matter of higher proof/cut less on the rare breed side? I would expect the rare breed is just small batch of the same mashbill found in the single barrel KY Spirit.

Both are really good, but I’m partial to the 116.8.

• I like it 1

All same mashbill yes. RB is a blend of 6,8, and 12 year old whiskey.

• I like it 1

I like Rare Breed quite a bit, but I have a store pick Kentucky Spirit that is absolutely fantastic. I have another KS that's solid but not worth the price difference between WT101.  it's a single barrel there will be variation. 

I tend like both but I will say that I have had a fair share of WKTKS pours that outclass Rare Breed

47 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I tend like both but I will say that I have had a fair share of WKTKS pours that outclass Rare Breed

WKTKS?  You sippin' and typin' at the same time again????  J/K.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

WKTKS?  You sippin' and typin' at the same time again????  J/K.

If only it may help make the workday move along a little faster!

WTRB 116.8 is a good batch, IMHO.  It is consistently good and easy to find on the shelves at a reasonable price. 

That being said, I have enjoyed an unbelievable spectacular  WTKS store pick and another really great store pick.  So, I think I will lean towards the PS of WTKS, try a pour and return to the store as needed.  ;-))

Cheers

8 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

WTRB 116.8 is a good batch, IMHO.  It is consistently good and easy to find on the shelves at a reasonable price. 

Wish I could find it here in the Bay Area.  Every place I shop still has the 112.8 on the shelves.  I thought that one was pretty good, despite the critical reviews, but I'm anxious to try the 116.8 since it seems to be much more well received. 

I've had the 116.8 and it was delicious. A friend also picked up a 112.8 for me on sale for $25. I haven't tried it yet and I've read the 116.8 is better but I highly doubt I'll be unhappy with it for $25.

^^^the 112 batch drinks just fine, unless you decide to do a SBS with a ECBP or Stagg Jr.

In other words, just enjoy it on its own merits.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, fosmith said:

Wish I could find it here in the Bay Area.  Every place I shop still has the 112.8 on the shelves.  I thought that one was pretty good, despite the critical reviews, but I'm anxious to try the 116.8 since it seems to be much more well received. 

10 hours ago, Bourbinvestor said:

I've had the 116.8 and it was delicious. A friend also picked up a 112.8 for me on sale for $25. I haven't tried it yet and I've read the 116.8 is better but I highly doubt I'll be unhappy with it for $25.

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^the 112 batch drinks just fine, unless you decide to do a SBS with a ECBP or Stagg Jr.

In other words, just enjoy it on its own merits.

I actually prefer the 112.8 to the 116.8 and have yet to have a Stagg Jr. I like as much as either. @fosmith for me it takes me time to determine if a reviewer has a similar palate to mine and if I don't know a reviewers preferences I don't give much value to the review. 

Never hand Kentucky Spirit, but I do like the Rare Breed.  Will have to try the KS sometime, I supporse.

• 1 year later...

Wild Turkey is, simply put, the best whiskey in the world.   I happen to have open bottles of Rare Breed,  RRSIB and Kentucky Spirit,  and the quality and consistency is amazing.   Vanilla, coconut,  and leather,  and that oily, throat-coating warmth of good bourbon in perfect balance.   The edge goes to the KS,  which is a honey barrel of epic proportions.   But,  with Coltrane playing as I sip these bad boys,  I am compelled to shout out the majestic, spiritual beauty that is these whiskeys. 

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 10

Don't forget that Rare Breed is also NCF. This will have a serious impact on the level of flavor that carries through.

10 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Wild Turkey is, simply put, the best whiskey in the world.   I happen to have open bottles of Rare Breed,  RRSIB and Kentucky Spirit,  and the quality and consistency is amazing.   Vanilla, coconut,  and leather,  and that oily, throat-coating warmth of good bourbon in perfect balance.   The edge goes to the KS,  which is a honey barrel of epic proportions.   But,  with Coltrane playing as I sip these bad boys,  I am compelled to shout out the majestic, spiritual beauty that is these whiskeys. 

My man.  Turkey ain’t for everyone but those who get it are damn devoted. 

Bill Charlap has been my go to lately for tunes while sipping. 

23 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

10 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Got an opinion there, do ya? ? My favorite WT rendition right now are a couple of local RR SiB PS's. Never disagreeable to my palate. Always a solid pour.

Its hard to go wrong but confining the discussion to 116 RB vs. KS, in my experience RB comes out on top. Granted a honey barrel can make a great impression but with RB you have the advantage of consistency. This is where batching can trump single barrels, singles are fun or can be but much more variable and sometimes that can down right suck. For 60ish dollars I am not interested in rolling the dice as  the KS I had most recently paled in comparison to 101 and it paled big time!!

In RB I enjoy the layered complexity that a good batch brings to the table, along with the proof and lower price vs. KS. WTRB is now and has been for quite some time my gold standard in bourbonia. Whenever a new purchase is considered the question is where might this rate as compared to RB? Perhaps that's why most all of my purchases these days are Ryes? (well except a good stash of the recent 101s but I am supposed to limit this to RB/KS LOL!!)

P.S. I LOVED that tailfeather bottle and when that went away so went my interest in KS, its RRSib for me in WT SB land and vs. KS? That is NOT a fair fight!!

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Its hard to go wrong but confining the discussion to 116 RB vs. KS, in my experience RB comes out on top. Granted a honey barrel can make a great impression but with RB you have the advantage of consistency. This is where batching can trump single barrels, singles are fun or can be but much more variable and sometimes that can down right suck. For 60ish dollars I am not interested in rolling the dice as  the KS I had most recently paled in comparison to 101 and it paled big time!!

In RB I enjoy the layered complexity that a good batch brings to the table, along with the proof and lower price vs. KS. WTRB is now and has been for quite some time my gold standard in bourbonia. Whenever a new purchase is considered the question is where might this rate as compared to RB? Perhaps that's why most all of my purchases these days are Ryes? (well except a good stash of the recent 101s but I am supposed to limit this to RB/KS LOL!!)

P.S. I LOVED that tailfeather bottle and when that went away so went my interest in KS, its RRSib for me in WT SB land and vs. KS? That is NOT a fair fight!!

KC,

I see you're in Buford. I'm in Winder/Braselton area. Cork & Keg in Braselton has an excellent RR SiB PS. 11 years old. $51.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I am with you on this, with a couple of RRSiB being among the very best drama I have in my collection. As for Comparing Kentucky Spirit and Rare Breed, both are excellent, but I find them to be quite different. If I am in the mood for something sweeter, I jump in on Kentucky Spirit. Rare Breed is there to throw some tobacco, oak, and spearmint at the palate. I always have both on hand. 

• I like it 1

I would buy a bottle of KS if it was a store pick and recommended to me by someone who's palate I trusted.  Truth is I've never been much a fan of Wild Turkey whiskies (personal preference, nothing more) and I've consumed my fair share of them since the 1960s.  I might take a flyer on Rare Breed though, I am a fan of the concept of blending whiskies of different ages which I think is where Master Blenders really strut their stuff, that and the original 108.2  proof Rare Breed was one of the most spectacular Bourbons I've had from anybody.

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Bourbon and jazz. A great combination. :D

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, squire said:

I would buy a bottle of KS if it was a store pick and recommended to me by someone who's palate I trusted.  Truth is I've never been much a fan of Wild Turkey whiskies (personal preference, nothing more) and I've consumed my fair share of them since the 1960s.  I might take a flyer on Rare Breed though, I am a fan of the concept of blending whiskies of different ages which I think is where Master Blenders really strut their stuff, that and the original 108.2  proof Rare Breed was one of the most spectacular Bourbons I've had from anybody.

Like squire, most of my WTKS purchases are from a barrel I have sampled or a trusted friend has vouched for. 

I have a love hate relationship with WTKS. Part of it is how is is priced in my market ($57-59— the same as Russell’s ((a superior product in my opinion)). 

Part of it is how consistent and quality 101 is. Part of it is how a competitor (Beam) prices KCSB

So if I’m at my local I see the following bottles:

Wild Turkey 101 750 mL for $23

WTKS 101 750 mL for $59

Russell’s Reserve single barrel $59

(110 proof, ncf, 9 yrs)

Knob Creek single barrel 750 mL for $44

(at least 9 yrs, often 12 or more 120 proof)

So what reason has Campari given me ( a self admitted turkey fan) to purchase WTKS? They KO’d the cool bottle and gave it Rare Breeds hand me downs. 

NAS, still chill filtered. Outside of a honey barrel, why am I spending x2 on wtks for what I would pay for 101? Especially when there is another WT single barrel offering more proof and age ? The KCSB is looking pretty good at this point. 

I say all that to say, Campari hasn’t done WTKS any favors. A simple barreled on and bottled on date as well as NCF would give consumers ( me and @flahute and @bourbon4all mainly) a reason to buy. Throw some 12 year barrels out there and now we are cooking. 

As to Rare Breed, I keep getting defective bottles. A whole in the bottom or a leaky cork. They always seem to turn up empty not long after purchase. 

And also agree w/ @squire early Rare Breed is in another universe. 

6AD9BC34-4CD5-41E3-B13B-1CADF9109698.jpegPS. Thanks to @Enoch for sharing this with me. 

Edited by Mako254
  • I like it 2

I like them both but like others have stated the WTKS is a little overpriced considering you could buy 2+ bottles of WT101 for the price of 1. Same really with RB. I’m certain you can make room for all 3. 

WT101 - daily drinker

WTKS - special occasiom

WTRB - I had a bad day

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, rjg1701 said:

Don't forget that Rare Breed is also NCF. 

Are you sure about this?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.