BOLO ALERT

Old Hippie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There is a new Whiskey hitting the shelves over the next week or two. It is Woodford Reserve Straight Malt. With a mash bill of 51% Malted Barley, 47% Corn and 2% Rye it presents an interesting taste profile. I found it a bit drier than bourbon with chocolate, nuts, caramel, brown sugar and a touch of sweet hay. It should be line priced with Woodford Reserve Distillers Select. 

There has been a lot of activity in the American Single Malt category but to my knowledge this is the first permanent item that is a straight malt mash bill with corn. If you try it please give it a review.

Thanks!!

• I like it 1

I've wondered how long before such an animal appeared, look forward to trying it.

• 10 months later...

This is actually pretty decent stuff. You definitely get the malt, but it also has a good bit of corn sweetness from the high corn content in the mashbill...and just the right amount of oak, so it has some decent age on it. If the Master’s Collection Cherry Wood Smoked Barley had been more like this, I wouldn’t have been as disappointed in that purchase. This is not a bottle I’ll reach for all the time, but if it’s still available when my current bottle gets low, I’d probably buy it again. 

• I like it 1

I'll be actively avoiding this one, I think.    My experiences with any of the WR "specials" has been... let's say... 'underwhelming', and leave it at that.

• I like it 1

If this is the blue label one that is at basically same $40 price tag as normal Woodford, then I actually enjoyed it. Easy and light drinking. Like a bourbon/Irish hybrid. I won't stock it all the time but I would buy again for a change of pace. 

If this is the blue label one that is at basically same $40 price tag as normal Woodford, then I actually enjoyed it. Easy and light drinking. Like a bourbon/Irish hybrid. I won't stock it all the time but I would buy again for a change of pace. 

It is the blue labeled one.

I'll be actively avoiding this one, I think.    My experiences with any of the WR "specials" has been... let's say... 'underwhelming', and leave it at that.

I’m bringing my bottle this week, so it’ll be your choice if you avoid it or not Rich.

I liked the pour I had (courtesy of @KyleCBreese) and I typically don't care for most BF whiskies aside from some of the JD stuff, haven't felt compelled to buy my own bottle though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.