The sweetest you have had?

mrpipster
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So what is the sweetest most caramel and vanilla tasting bourbon you have had?

Not including any flavored whiskeys.

Would George Dickel 12 be one?

Thanks.

I found a couple bottles of Old Charter 8 year old that were all caramel and butterscotch. I assume the current "8" version still has hints of the same flavor.

Perhaps not as much caramel and vanilla, but Old Forrester is the sweetest I can remember off the top of my head.

Personally I find Larceny to be exceptionally sweet, to the point that it is almost cloying.

Old Forester tends to run the sweetest for me.

As for Dickel, you'd have to ask Jeff.

• I like it 1

I tried the NAS version of Fighting Cock Bourbon for the first time last week. Cloyingly sweet. Almost "liquer" like.

West End Tavern in Boulder bought a 17 year single barrel of Pappy around 2005. Very reasonable $18/1.5 pour a couple of years ago. It was amazing and very sweet. I tried to no avail to get them to sell me a bottle.

Old Weller Original 107 "gold vein", it was straight up butterscotch and vanilla.

Had a decanter of Michters from the 1970's (Hirsch?) that was like drinking caramel apples.  It was probably the lead that brought out the "sweetness" :}

Sweetest I ever had was an “off” barrel of Eagle Rare 10 a few years ago ... most ERs I have had exhibit a balanced sweetness with herbal notes, but for whatever reason this single barrel was one note saccharine. Literally tasted like ample sugar had been added in. Don’t recall the barrel details, and can’t say I’m disappointed to not have picked up another from the same barrel. 

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, mrpipster said:

So what is the sweetest most caramel and vanilla tasting bourbon you have had?

Not including any flavored whiskeys.

Would George Dickel 12 be one?

Thanks.

Yes, consistently I would say this is the sweetest without being offensive.

I won't name her; but suffice it to say neither her nor myself had as yet attained the age of consent, when we . . .   :mellow:

Oh.    Wait.     I just read some of the posts above.  :o       Never mind.

• I like it 1

Old Forester tends to run the sweetest for me.
As for Dickel, you'd have to ask Jeff.

Steve, FacePlant just commented on this, but I also agree that Dickel is probably one of the sweetest bourbon’s available due to the high corn content of its mashbill. At 84% corn, 8% rye and 8% barley, I believe it has the highest corn content of any bourbon currently on the market. And you know some of those 9+ year Dickel Barrel Select Private Selections are sweet goodness!

Cheers!

For me, echoing some others above, Barton products are generally the sweetest.

Edited by dcbt

not a bourbon, but Angel's Envy Rye was the Sweetest that I can recall.  Too sweet for my tastes.  And although it's not a flavored whiskey, I wouldn't be surprised if they added flavoring as it's not labeled as a straight rye.

Weller Special Reserve, Maker's Mark, Knob Creek if you want to go up in proof.

If you want sweet, try Bernheim Wheat whiskey (not classified as a bourbon however).

While not a bourbon (as it's aged in used oak barrels for 11 years), "Boondocks" Whiskey, by far, is the sweetest I've ever had.  Nearly too sweet for my palate.

Edited by starhopper

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

Weller Special Reserve, Maker's Mark, Knob Creek if you want to go up in proof.

If you want sweet, try Bernheim Wheat whiskey (not classified as a bourbon however).

I was gonna mention Bernheim.  Makers CS was super sweet to me. Too much so.

14 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

not a bourbon, but Angel's Envy Rye was the Sweetest that I can recall.  Too sweet for my tastes.  And although it's not a flavored whiskey, I wouldn't be surprised if they added flavoring as it's not labeled as a straight rye.

IIRC, it is finished in rum casks, hence the sweetness.

15 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I'd forgotten about this one until your post, and I agree with you 100%. Absolutely couldn't stand it as it was syrupy sweet. Even nosing it got to be repulsive so I ended up dumping it. 

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.