Restaurant Prices

Dango
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 6/6/2018 at 11:48 PM, elmossle said:

I was going to say, you are better off going with Scotch there instead of bourbon!! Like many have said, not the worst I've seen price wise, but you were not getting anything close to value there either. When you are almost paying for the whole bottle with one pour CETH Small Batch, you know there is a problem. I did think Lot B at $150 a pour was extremely funny though so thank you for the laugh. Please tell me where this is so I can avoid it especially if it is in Boston.

Jacksonville Beach FL

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, Radioyada said:

My thought on the menu prices is they are what they are.  I see nothing I would pay for on that list now (bought my first GTS drink that way), so most likely I would either drink just water with the meal or at the most order a Jack & Coke.  The price at stores and restaurants do not bother me any longer.  They charge what they want to charge, and I pay or not at my choice.

If the food prices are similar, everything better be excellent or my visit there would be a singular one.

Food prices were reasonable and food was fantastic 

• 2 months later...

This is my first posting here but have been reading a lot on SB.com for a while! Very informative and learning lots. I am in Houston and tried the High West MWND on Sunday evening for a $12/1.5ounce. I liked it a lot and have since purchased a bottle. Then last night, celebrating my wifes birthday with a group of friends, we stopped at another restaurant and I noticed they had GTS on the shelf so I asked them what the cost would be. Again, they charged my $12 for a very generous pour. It was quite nice but not so nice that I would buy a bottle on secondary market. I also tried the Willett 4yr SB Rye, also for $12 but wasnt too impressed with it but for $12 I still enjoyed it. Funny thing was that the barstaff didnt know what to charge for the GTS so when I suggested $12 they agreed that that would be reasonable :)

• I like it 1

Just yesterday I was checking the bourbon prices at a nice local restaurant. Did some quick calculations and determined that they recovered the full price of a bottle after about 2 pours--sometimes less. The rest is sheer profit. I have absolutely no objections to profit. If someone is willing to pay those prices, management would be foolish not to take it. Sometimes the bourbon in question is not available to the general bourbon public  for any price whatsoever so if you really, really want a taste, you pay it. Or hope that your host will pay it. If the bottle sits behind the bar for two or three years because there are no takers, they probably lower the price. On the other hand, there is a significant number of consumers who equate price with quality. If it costs $75 a shot, it must be  pretty damn good! And if it doesn't taste like the nectar of the gods, it must be my fault because my palate is too immature.

My dearly departed mother-in-law, commenting on the multi-million dollar salary of a professional athlete, said "Nobody is worth that much!" I replied, "Everyone and everything is worth exactly what somebody is willing to pay for it." That's probably true of bourbon too.

1 hour ago, jackvz said:

Funny thing was that the barstaff didnt know what to charge for the GTS so when I suggested $12 they agreed that that would be reasonable :)

You probably got the guy fired!  :lol:

I'd read somewhere that 1/3 of the bottle's retail is a fair price for restaurants to charge. I have no idea where that number comes from, or whether there is any science behind it. Anyone?

5 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Larceny for $12 is a bit extreme IMO.

Larceny at any price is a bit extreme to me.

19 hours ago, jackvz said:

This is my first posting here but have been reading a lot on SB.com for a while! Very informative and learning lots. I am in Houston and tried the High West MWND on Sunday evening for a $12/1.5ounce. I liked it a lot and have since purchased a bottle. Then last night, celebrating my wifes birthday with a group of friends, we stopped at another restaurant and I noticed they had GTS on the shelf so I asked them what the cost would be. Again, they charged my $12 for a very generous pour. It was quite nice but not so nice that I would buy a bottle on secondary market. I also tried the Willett 4yr SB Rye, also for $12 but wasnt too impressed with it but for $12 I still enjoyed it. Funny thing was that the barstaff didnt know what to charge for the GTS so when I suggested $12 they agreed that that would be reasonable :)

The biggest question from this post is where did you find a bottle of MWND in August??

The following day I asked three local stores here in Houston and one of them came back with a positive response and he sold it for $85 plus tax. It is an Act 5 Scene 4 bottle.

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

The biggest question from this post is where did you find a bottle of MWND in August??

It lingers in some places, I can think of three stores here where it is still on the shelf one has Act 3 still on the shelf.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:54 AM, Clueby said:

I picked one up in NJ a couple of weeks ago (and cheaper than I found it in Maryland when it was released last year).

• I like it 1

On 8/8/2018 at 7:52 PM, Kane said:

I'd read somewhere that 1/3 of the bottle's retail is a fair price for restaurants to charge. I have no idea where that number comes from, or whether there is any science behind it. Anyone?

I haven't read it, but I generally find 1/4 of the price to be fair.  If it's above that I just won't drink whiskey.

Also depends a lot on pour size. For a 2oz pour paying for a bottle in 2-3 drinks is completely appropriate (around 17-25% theoretical pour cost). 

• 3 weeks later...

I am guessing they put the PVW 12yr at $150 to make someone feel like $50 for the Presidential Select isn't so bad especially if it is a low batch number.  I probably still wouldn't go for it, but at $30 I could be convinced.

Restaurants as a whole have higher prices then I would like to pay for a hard to find bourbon, but if there is something I haven't had or a bottle is very hard to get I will pay for a pour to see what its about.  The highest I have paid for a single pour was $30 for WLW while on a work trip in Austin last year.  Once in a while though the Bourbon/whisk(e)y gods smile upon you and you find a great deal.  I've had flights of PVW for around $50 in the past (around 2012) and just last week I had a healthy pour of Yamazaki 18 for $15 at a bar.  You just never know what you'll find when you walk into a bar/restaurant.

4 hours ago, Jfevre said:

Once in a while though the Bourbon/whisk(e)y gods smile upon you and you find a great deal.  I've had flights of PVW for around $50 in the past (around 2012) and just last week I had a healthy pour of Yamazaki 18 for $15 at a bar.  You just never know what you'll find when you walk into a bar/restaurant.

Can't find my earlier post from last February when I was having lunch with some friends at the Capital Grille in Austin after a swim meet at Texas A&M.  While I was waiting at the bar, I ordered a Blanton's neat - so the barman says would you like to have some PVW instead?  Turns out they had just done a vertical of PVW the night before with a charity dinner and had some PVW 15 left in the bottle (those Texicans drank all the PVW 20 & 23, tho' - go figure).  After consultation with his manager, I got a very, very generous pour of PVW15 for $45 IIRC (a little more than a double, actually).  I'd rather be lucky than good, no?   ☺️

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.