Where Is Your Proof ?

Cranecreek
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I believe I am seeing some demographics at play when a preference is given.  Would it be safe to say that  the mmmmm, lets call it "seniors" among the replies drink at a lower proof more regularly ?  I know I have become more conservative over time.  And that is all as it should be.

"Taking the bull by the horns" is best attempted in your youth.

2 hours ago, Cranecreek said:

I believe I am seeing some demographics at play when a preference is given.  Would it be safe to say that  the mmmmm, lets call it "seniors" among the replies drink at a lower proof more regularly ?  I know I have become more conservative over time.  And that is all as it should be.

"Taking the bull by the horns" is best attempted in your youth.

The notion of barrel proof whiskey is a fairly recent development in the history of bourbon. A lot of the new blood that's come into the hobby over the past 5 years or so place a premium on the very idea of it.

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

Now I'm curious, what was the original bootleg moonshine like, was it diluted?

If I’m remembering correctly, most backwoods stills could/cannot generate the proper conditions to achieve high distillation proofs.  Even getting to 100 proof was/is a challenge...

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

If I’m remembering correctly, most backwoods stills could/cannot generate the proper conditions to achieve high distillation proofs.  Even getting to 100 proof was/is a challenge...

Hence the word "proof" considered a benchmark for "good" distillate back then.  (a mix of gunpowder + the whiskey -ignited) if it burned with a flame it was "proof" the whiskey was decent. About 100 proof or 50 %.  Like smokinjoe said.  A lot of the water that goes to steam condenses right back to water making a weak distillate.

Edited by Cranecreek

Definitely interesting to think about demographics playing into how one might drink their favorite bottle. I'm a big fan of data but I would support the idea (as unscientific as it is) that younger drinkers likely would be more opt and willing to drink at higher proof than older consumers. Some of this may be due to overall health. Some of it may be due to less refined palate or taste and as such not responding as much to the complexity of the drink and in turn chasing something more dramatic or exciting from the drink (higher proof).  

I skew somewhere toward the earlier range of the US's 21+ requirement and definitely am not one to dilute my drinks. Occasionally an ice cube is involved or a little bit of water. But it's always to see how it differs (if it does) and never due to whether I am willing or enjoy it at the higher proof. This may change over time and I'd be happy to report out if that's the case. I'm not sure how the human body does with long term high proof alcohol, but my guess would be it wasn't built for it. 

Rant out of the way, I definitely enjoy 100+ with quite a few of mine in the 120+. 

My opinion is just the opposite... that the more refined and experience palates will gravitate toward the higher proof whiskies. 

My young (and dumb) ass thought that 80 proof mixed with Coke was a stiff pour!  :o 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

My opinion is just the opposite... that the more refined and experience palates will gravitate toward the higher proof whiskies. 

My young (and dumb) ass thought that 80 proof mixed with Coke was a stiff pour!  :o 

I am very much in agreement here. I’m very soon to be hitting 60, and fancy the higher proofs neat. Those whom I sip with would feel the same. If there are age constraints to enjoying higher proofs, I’m not feeling it. 

• I like it 1

I'm sure I'm not the only one who goes through phases. I usually gravitate toward 100-115 proof, but sometimes I stick to higher or lower proof stuff for a while. At the moment, I've been been drinking lower proof bottles — Lot 40 and a couple of store picks of Elijah Craig and BT. Not sure if it's the warmer weather or something else, but I just haven't been in the mood for any barrel proofers lately.

13 hours ago, Paddy said:

If it makes you feel better, I still can't handle that ;)

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Paddy said:

...Or, at least not something I was (or am) ready to pour and (attempt to) enjoy.   He-Heeeeeeeee!

Right now, it’s 99.22. After a very long week, I’m having a couple of nice pours of my 2018 Weller Blend. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

For those of you that do proof down your whiskey, don't forget about the Handy-Dandy dilution calculator that we have here on SB.  Available to both members and non members.  Found on the SB homepage.  Makes taming down a 131 proofer a breeze !

Somewhere between 80 and 150. Seriously it is all over the place. I enjoy the flavors no matter what the proof. I usually tend to lean towards higher proofs. OWA at 107 is a really nice "right in the middle" pour. Even barrel proofers I almost never add ice or water. Occasionally something at a "lower" proof will drink really hot though. I'm looking at you 1792 FP. Hotter than others at really high proof. This time I'm looking at GTS at 144.1 which doesn't seem hot at all.

For me, 90 proofers are pretty boring, 100 proof is a start, 144 proof is my limit, so between those two. 

Will.

• I like it 1

Yeah I've always wanted to understand this burn thing better. What exactly is it that burns, why 150 proof GTS feels just fine when 80 proof dog can scorch your insides? Anybody equipped with the "science" here?

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it Cranecreek! 

The thing I find is that when you work with cask strength barrels, maybe a hundred to two hundred a day on a daily basis, anything below 100 proof tastes watery and weak. That said, I tend to like Bourbons that have gradually fallen slowly in proof over the years, so that they are pulling out more of the water soluble caramelized wood sugars out of the barrel, and they don't have too many alcohol soluble resin notes. Thus, somewhere between 100 and 110 proof seems perfect. I tend to prefer lower entry proofs as well, somewhere between 114 to 118. Sometimes there are Bourbons that I enjoy that are below 100, but it really depends upon the particular product. 

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 2

11 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it Cranecreek! 

The thing I find is that when you work with cask strength barrels, maybe a hundred to two hundred a day on a daily basis, anything below 100 proof tastes watery and weak. That said, I tend to like Bourbons that have gradually fallen slowly in proof over the years, so that they are pulling out more of the water soluble caramelized wood sugars out of the barrel, and they don't have too many alcohol soluble resin notes. Thus, somewhere between 100 and 110 proof seems perfect. I tend to prefer lower entry proofs as well, somewhere between 114 to 118. Sometimes there are Bourbons that I enjoy that are below 100, but it really depends upon the particular product. 

Off hand, which distillers enter their Bourbon into barrels as low as 114 to 118?    I'm unaware of any that do that (other than crafters).    Educate me, please? :)

I normally add a drop or two of water to mine. 100-110 is my sweet spot, but I'll drink it all, thanks. 

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Off hand, which distillers enter their Bourbon into barrels as low as 114 to 118?    I'm unaware of any that do that (other than crafters).    Educate me, please? :)

I was thinking Wild Turkey & Four Roses entry proofs are in that range. This is from memory, so........

Cheers

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Usually, wheated Bourbons tend to be entered into the barrel somewhere between 110 and 115. In addition to what Wedelstaedt noted regarding WT and FR, Makers Mark enters in at 110, or at least they used to when Steve Nally was master distiller. If I'm not mistaken, WT enters WLW and Pappy in the barrel at 114. Wyoming Whiskey used to enter into the barrel at 110 for their wheated Bourbon, but given their unique climate, I thought that was a little too low, so now it is at 114. 

Cranecreek was drinking some J. Henry & Sons Wisconsin Straight Bourbon when he originally started this post. Their original entry proof was between 124 and 120, but it was pulling out too many alcohol solubles at that strength and not enough water solubles. So I had them lower it between 120 and 118. 

At any rate, the only reason to really ever go as high as 125 would be to save warehousing space and money on barrels. 

• I like it 2

Can't come up with a definitive answer here. I take each whiskey on its own merit. Some brands (and mash bills) tend to respond better to higher proof than others. In general I like higher proof ryes (and higher proof high rye mash bills). I find that if I'm drinking a higher proof whiskey I tend to take smaller sips and drink it slower. As far as adding ice or water, I do both depending on what I'm after. If I'm getting into or analyzing the whiskey I drink it neat then with just a drop or two of water. If I'm just relaxing and not worrying about deciphering what I'm drinking then I enjoy a little ice. 

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Woodford Reserve goes in at about 114. Michter's goes in at 103. I believe Peerless goes in at 107. 

On 6/26/2018 at 10:24 AM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Usually, wheated Bourbons tend to be entered into the barrel somewhere between 110 and 115. In addition to what Wedelstaedt noted regarding WT and FR, Makers Mark enters in at 110, or at least they used to when Steve Nally was master distiller. If I'm not mistaken, WT enters WLW and Pappy in the barrel at 114.

Appreciate your input on this topic..We had another topic here a few weeks back where this was the focus titled "Musings of Wild Turkey 101"  It was kind of left undecided, without having the kind of firsthand knowledge that you have.  Perhaps you could glance it over ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.