Four Roses 80 Proof Changes To Cork

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I noticed a slight change in the label.  The area around Brent Elliot's signature changed from gold to darker brown color.  Then I was about to open and found the clear plastic seal over a cork stopper - that was a surprise.  In the past it had always been a plastic screw cap.  As far as I can tell, same tasty bourbon.

Interesting!  When touring their bottling facility in April, we were kindly asked to NOT call it "yellow label", and they pointed out that the label colors were changing.  I don't recall them mentioning the move to a cork though - which I understand gives the appearance to the masses of the product being "better" or "premium" (just wish the masses would get better educated!!)

https://fourrosesbourbon.com/new-look-same-mellow-bourbon/

Just curious - was the price impacted by this "upgraded packaging"?  

• I like it 1

Sounds like a price hike is coming.  I hope they don't mess it up with the "re-branding" , the bourbon world owes Jim Rutledge a big debt for reviving Four Roses as a straight bourbon here in the US.

I have always wished for a barrel strength version of FRYL and or a 100 proof bottled in bond version of same whiskey.

As long as it still works in the freezer I'm good with it.

If Elliot really had some pull he'd convince them to bottle it at 86 proof at the minimum... Preferably 90 proof to compete with it's mainstream competition like MM.  Bottling any bourbon at 80 proof just absolutely kills it for me.

52 minutes ago, BrokeCal said:

If Elliot really had some pull he'd convince them to bottle it at 86 proof at the minimum... Preferably 90 proof to compete with it's mainstream competition like MM.  Bottling any bourbon at 80 proof just absolutely kills it for me.

I doubt Elliott has any pull, and certainly isn’t going to win anything in a battle with Kirin corporate.  They ignominiously took out the legendary Jim Rutledge, and he ain’t no Jim Rutledge.  He’d be wise to keep his head down, smile for the camera, and do what he’s told.  If Kirin decides they want to make a change to the proof or anything else, then that’s when it will change.  Elliott will only nod and say yes, Boss.  

• I like it 3

I suppose we can expect some kind of flavored whiskey to the next brand extension out of 4-R. 

That could be a godsend, too.      It might satisfy the young, trendy and cool folx that they are drinking the "next big thing" and are therefor ahead of the curve (and ahead of us old fools who just like good Bourbon).

4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I suppose we can expect some kind of flavored whiskey to the next brand extension out of 4-R. 

That could be a godsend, too.      It might satisfy the young, trendy and cool folx that they are drinking the "next big thing" and are therefor ahead of the curve (and ahead of us old fools who just like good Bourbon).

If they forced Jim Rutledge out, then all is not well.

16 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Personally, I prefer screw caps to corks.  Just sayin'.

Many of us do.    They don't suffer from the several possible maladies that occasionally affect corx.   

...But, the plastic screw caps aren't infallible either.    One really has to wrestle a plastic screw cap down extremely tight  to damage it; but it can be done.    I know this for certain.     Don't ask.

6 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

One really has to wrestle a plastic screw cap down extremely tight  to damage it; but it can be done.    I know this for certain.     Don't ask.

Way to go Brutus.  I am sure Popeye would be proud!  ????

Gary, the price went up $1.28 where I shop.  I don't know if that's just because of the cork.

• I like it 1

The old yellow label (not sure what to call it now, maybe just FR bourbon?) is still $18 in Phoenix, but the single barrel has dropped form $40 to $34.  Not sure on the reasoning, maybe it was due to slow sales.  Prices can be confusing here, we often have prices that are higher than California. 

On 6/23/2018 at 8:04 AM, GaryT said:

Interesting!  When touring their bottling facility in April, we were kindly asked to NOT call it "yellow label", and they pointed out that the label colors were changing.  I don't recall them mentioning the move to a cork though - which I understand gives the appearance to the masses of the product being "better" or "premium" (just wish the masses would get better educated!!)

https://fourrosesbourbon.com/new-look-same-mellow-bourbon/

Just curious - was the price impacted by this "upgraded packaging"?  

Mellow label. 

• I like it 3

On 6/23/2018 at 1:07 PM, smokinjoe said:

I doubt Elliott has any pull, and certainly isn’t going to win anything in a battle with Kirin corporate.  They ignominiously took out the legendary Jim Rutledge, and he ain’t no Jim Rutledge.  He’d be wise to keep his head down, smile for the camera, and do what he’s told.  If Kirin decides they want to make a change to the proof or anything else, then that’s when it will change.  Elliott will only nod and say yes, Boss.  

If only JR had been allowed to buy it from Seagrams instead of them selling to Kirin, just imagine where that could have led, oh well at least I stocked up on JR era PS bottles.

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

If only JR had been allowed to buy it from Seagrams instead of them selling to Kirin, just imagine where that could have led, oh well at least I stocked up on JR era PS bottles.

We would have had 4R rye by now that's for sure.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 3:14 PM, Richnimrod said:

I am utterly shocked that this has not happened yet.  I thought Kirin would go this route for sure after Jim's awkward departure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.