90 proof just doesn’t do it anymore

ACL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was lucky enough to find a Weller 12 last month but it kinda fell flat on my palate. I have been sipping nothing less than BIB strength for the past few years. I feel like I should appreciate the 12 for what it is and keep going back to it with the same result. Anyone else experienced this?

17 minutes ago, ACL said:

I was lucky enough to find a Weller 12 last month but it kinda fell flat on my palate. I have been sipping nothing less than BIB strength for the past few years. I feel like I should appreciate the 12 for what it is and keep going back to it with the same result. Anyone else experienced this?

Yes.

The problem is you were probably all hyped up and its not the pappy everyone told you it was.

Like most wheaters (for me), I find that it gets better as the bottle gets some air inside.

Put it away for awhile and come back to it later.  I think you'll find that you appreciate it more.

I would also say that the OWA 107p probably delivers the more full flavored "pop" you are looking for.

I drink mostly BIB and above but there are plenty of 90 proofers that satisfy. 

I think that Weller 12 just isn’t in your wheelhouse. Or, I’ve also heard from a few members here that current Weller 12 is lacking. 

I don’t think it’s the proof. 

54 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Yes.

The problem is you were probably all hyped up and its not the pappy everyone told you it was.

Like most wheaters (for me), I find that it gets better as the bottle gets some air inside.

Put it away for awhile and come back to it later.  I think you'll find that you appreciate it more.

I would also say that the OWA 107p probably delivers the more full flavored "pop" you are looking for.

That's good to know.  I will give it a rest.  Back when I was introducing myself to Scotch I bought some HP 12 that tasted like ashtray to me when I first opened.  I went back to it after 4 months and really liked it.

53 minutes ago, flahute said:

I drink mostly BIB and above but there are plenty of 90 proofers that satisfy. 

I think that Weller 12 just isn’t in your wheelhouse. Or, I’ve also heard from a few members here that current Weller 12 is lacking. 

I don’t think it’s the proof. 

You may be right cause I remember tasting the Weller Special Reserve a few months back and really liking it.

1 hour ago, ACL said:

You may be right cause I remember tasting the Weller Special Reserve a few months back and really liking it.

I would think that if you really liked Special Reserve then you would love 12 Year.  It's either the "hype letdown" that 0895 mentioned, or maybe the oakiness of the 12 year is not in your wheelhouse.

1 hour ago, ACL said:

That's good to know.  I will give it a rest.  Back when I was introducing myself to Scotch I bought some HP 12 that tasted like ashtray to me when I first opened.  I went back to it after 4 months and really liked it.

I think you'll find this is the key.

Some days, things just aren't good.

Other days, they are the best whiskey ever.

You just have to find the moments...

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, 0895 said:

I think you'll find this is the key.

Some days, things just aren't good.

Other days, they are the best whiskey ever.

You just have to find the moments...

^^^^^ THIS!!!!! ^^^^^

I've personally tasted from a single bottle on three different days within a month or so, finding it Ambrosia one time, merely good another time, and really bad on a third occasion; but not in that order    It started merely good, and continued that way for several pours over a month or so.   Then a week or two later it was so damned good I thought I must run out and grab another (but I waited for confirmation of another such experience).    The third visit, a week or two later, brought a very unsatisfying experience, which was repeated several more times over the rest of the bottle, until the last two pours, one of which was fabulous again, and one of which merely OK. 

I'm certain it's my own taste buddies playing with my mind.     This particular bottle was the worst example of this sort of wide variability I've ever experienced.    It was a bottle of Old Forester Single Barrel.

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

This particular bottle was the worst example of this sort of wide variability I've ever experienced.    It was a bottle of Old Forester Single Barrel.

Funny you mention that.  I bought an OFSB store pick last year that was so bad upon first opening, I almost drain poured it.

Luckily I forgot.  A few weeks later, it had marginally improved.  I left it alone for awhile.

A few pours later and it was fantastic.

Stayed pretty good until the end.

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

Stayed pretty good until the end.

Lucky you, 0895!    I did have two very enjoyable pours from my bottle and a few pours that were OK... that's it! 

I sure wish I could figure out how to get those 'wonderful' tastes all the time.    Ah, well.    Maybe it's for the best.    If all my pours were as fabulous as the best ones, I'd be drinking WAAAAAAY Tooo Much!  HA!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.