6 year label coming off HH ?

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Now, let me say, I heard this from a Liquior store manager in Indiana, and it's not sold here anymore. But he said the 6 year is coming off the 90 proof green label and the HHBIB as well. This has always been my fear. Anyone have any info? Hope it's just a rumor.

Even as a bourbon newbie I'm getting frustrated with this vice...er uh...I mean hobby. In the few months I've been in it OGD114 has went from just over $20 to $30, Rare Breed $40 to $50, OE 7 gone, HMKBIB $25 to $33, AS to NAS. Maybe I should quit so it will get better, Ha. In all seriousness, the HHBIB is something I haven't had yet, but desperately want a case of. I hope this isn't true.

4 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Even as a bourbon newbie I'm getting frustrated with this vice...er uh...I mean hobby. In the few months I've been in it OGD114 has went from just over $20 to $30, Rare Breed $40 to $50, OE 7 gone, HMKBIB $25 to $33, AS to NAS. Maybe I should quit so it will get better, Ha. In all seriousness, the HHBIB is something I haven't had yet, but desperately want a case of. I hope this isn't true.

I'm with you there.  Every time I think I have enough ER10 bunkered something like this comes out.

• I like it 1

Imagine what it’s like for those of us who’ve been doing this for 15-20 years. [emoji19]
  • I like it 1

32 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Imagine what it’s like for those of us who’ve been doing this for 15-20 years. emoji19.png

I’d be pissed. ????

I’d be pissed. ????

It’s moved way beyond that to more of a depressed resignation
  • I like it 2

It’s moved way beyond that to more of a depressed resignation

Maybe someone more creative than this number monkey should come up with the Stages of Bourbon Grief?
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

I’d be pissed. ????

BigRich wrote: Imagine what it’s like for those of us who’ve been doing this for 15-20 years. emoji19.png

And, CUfan99 wrote: I'd be pissed. ????

Then, BR responded: It’s moved way beyond that to more of a depressed resignation

I guess whether you'd be pissed or depressed depends upon what you mean by "pissed".

I get depressed THEN get pissed.  In the British sense.  I wander down to the bunker whenever "it" happens and start drowning my sorrows.  Getting easier to find it in the dark what with all the trips I've made.  On the plus side, some of my recent additions, even though NAS, aren't bad so there's always something down there to sip on while contemplating a possibly bleaker future.  In other words, I find, for example, a silver lining in the several thus far undusty JB Distiller's Cut sitting on the shelf.  Or maybe the silver lining is just the light coming through the crack at the bottom of the door.  I'll have to check.:blink:

• I like it 1

At least if they keep calling it Straight it'll still be 4 years old. 6 to 4 probably won't be that noticeable. Not like EC going from 12 year to what tastes like 8 year now.  That was the worst.

At least if they keep calling it Straight it'll still be 4 years old. 6 to 4 probably won't be that noticeable. Not like EC going from 12 year to what tastes like 8 year now.  That was the worst.

Even that is preference though. A lot of folks thought the old 12 was just too damn oaky.

I personally loved it and miss it. My last 12 “handle” is all I have left.

It seems possible but I’d wait and see. It’s an incredible value and I’ll miss it if it goes. I drive through Kentucky on the way to see family and often grab a few bottles of HH BIB when doing so. 

Also, I hadn’t heard anything about Old Ezra disappearing. Didn’t they just change the label? OE7 has always been my substitute for HH BIB — I like it just as much but it’s not nearly the same value. It’s gone up in price around here but I’m sure I’ve seen it recently. 

15 minutes ago, Spade said:

It seems possible but I’d wait and see. It’s an incredible value and I’ll miss it if it goes. I drive through Kentucky on the way to see family and often grab a few bottles of HH BIB when doing so. 

Also, I hadn’t heard anything about Old Ezra disappearing. Didn’t they just change the label? OE7 has always been my substitute for HH BIB — I like it just as much but it’s not nearly the same value. It’s gone up in price around here but I’m sure I’ve seen it recently. 

OE7 was also a favorite of mine, but disappeared here a few months ago. It's supposed to reappear this fall. Let's see it it comes back with an age statement.

1 hour ago, BrokeCal said:

OTOH (looking for that silver lining here), 12 years is usually too old for me most of the time - too much wood - so EC @ 8 years might be just fine.  I passed on a bunch last week when I picked up some SA Big Level.  The EC 12 YR was an occasional sip;  I guess it's time to try the "new" releases.

I hope this isn't a rumor with any truth - although if it pans out (I hate to say "not if, but when" . . . but . . . feels like that?) - I've got a few bottles to hold me over

3 hours ago, BrokeCal said:

If they are still calling it Bottled In Bond it can’t be any less than that. (Straight can be as young as two if there’s an age statement somewhere).

For my palate, 6 to 4 is too big a drop. EWBIB tastes too young to me. HH6 is just right. 

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, flahute said:

If they are still calling it Bottled In Bond it can’t be any less than that. (Straight can be as young as two if there’s an age statement somewhere).

For my palate, 6 to 4 is too big a drop. EWBIB tastes too young to me. HH6 is just right. 

True, true, I should have said as long as they label it straight without an age statement we know its at least 4 years.  What I don't get is why HH is doing this.  It tastes enough like EWB label as it is... Make it younger and its just going to taste more like it.  Pretty soon every HH will basically just be slight variations on EWB.  Lame.  I suppose people who thought EC was too tanniny might like the younger version but I enjoyed the oakiness a lot and it was basically the only 12 year or older bourbon I could afford as a daily drinker.  Honestly EC just tastes like a 94 proof EWB to me now.

Edited by BrokeCal

7 minutes ago, BrokeCal said:

True, true, I should have said as long as they label it straight without an age statement we know its at least 4 years.  What I don't get is why HH is doing this.  It tastes enough like EWB label as it is... Make it younger and its just going to more like it.  Pretty soon every HH will basically just be slightly variations on EWB.  Lame.

It's only a rumor from a liquor store manager ( who are wholly unreliable) at this point so don't sweat it just yet.

Protect yourself though. If you have the opportunity to stock up, do so.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, flahute said:

It's only a rumor from a liquor store manager ( who are wholly unreliable) at this point so don't sweat it just yet.

I agree.

I know this for a fact. (long story) Sales reps will sometimes say something to a liquor store owner. The liquor store owner hears but doesn't listen. They'll misconstrue the facts because of how it may relate to, or possibly affect them in the future. The next thing you know, bourbongeddon is at hand.:huh:

Maybe our esteemed member from HH will see this and possibly chime in to give us a clearer picture. 

Biba! Joe

I did see the price has gone up to $15.99 at that big liquor store across the river from Cincy.

From breakingbourbon.com

Many of Heaven Hill’s lower tier bourbons (Black, Green, White, and Gold labels) have very limited distribution outside of Kentucky. Currently the White Label Bottled in Bond (BiB) sports a 6 year age statement. Due to fluctuating stock levels, this brand has been known to frequently lose its age statement, but regain it not long after.

To confuse matters further, HH uses the same labels for different versions of its namesake bottles. Here in AZ, we have white and green label bottles that look exactly like the 6/BIB and 6/90 bottles but are both 80-proof, non age-stated versions. I'd be skeptical of any reports from reps/store employees unless you know they're well-informed. If you're very concerned, just email HH. They've always responded whenever I've sent questions their way.

47 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

From breakingbourbon.com

Many of Heaven Hill’s lower tier bourbons (Black, Green, White, and Gold labels) have very limited distribution outside of Kentucky. Currently the White Label Bottled in Bond (BiB) sports a 6 year age statement. Due to fluctuating stock levels, this brand has been known to frequently lose its age statement, but regain it not long after.

Could you please provide a more precise link to this. I visited  bb.com and spent 15 minutes perusing the site, and I couldn’t find this quote. 

Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Could you please provide a more precise link to this. I visited  bb.com and spent 15 minutes perusing the site, and I couldn’t find this quote. 

Joe

Certainly Joe..

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/heaven-hill-bottled-in-bond.html

i bought two today however.  What a fantastic bourbon.

Edited by FasterHorses

To those in Kentucky, are you still finding HHBIB and 90 proof green label, both 6 year still widely available?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.