Jump to content
LCWoody

What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

Recommended Posts

mosugoji64
1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Ky Owl Rye $189.. not interested

EHT single barrel $89 

Charter 101 $26

 

 

I picked up a bottle for about that price last time I was in IN just because it's now relegated to history's dustbin. A PS bottle I have is pretty good, and one could do worse than $26 for 101-proof BT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby

Passed on a lot of stuff today. EHTSiB and ECBP for $100. The EHT was on SALE! Lots of KY Owl Rye #2. I don't know if they released a LOT of it or the higher price (and less favorable reviews) kept people away. OWA PS was $60.  Saw my first new label of KC today. Also saw a bunch of Old Fitz Prime. How I wish it was the BIB.

20190103_163402-784x1613.jpg

20190103_134649-1612x784.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mosugoji64
On 1/3/2019 at 5:05 PM, Clueby said:

Passed on a lot of stuff today. EHTSiB and ECBP for $100. The EHT was on SALE! Lots of KY Owl Rye #2. I don't know if they released a LOT of it or the higher price (and less favorable reviews) kept people away. OWA PS was $60.  Saw my first new label of KC today. Also saw a bunch of Old Fitz Prime. How I wish it was the BIB.

20190103_163402-784x1613.jpg

 

 

Classy! I like the label. It hasn't shown up around here, yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bambam

I just passed on Heaven Hill 27 at retail. I’m not a flipper and the $350 price tag is really high IMO for something that I have seen pretty universally bad reviews for.

 

Am I insane? Is it actually amazing? Should I go back? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
3 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Am I insane? Is it actually amazing? Should I go back? 

1) No

2) Couldn't tell you

3) Hell no!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby
11 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I just passed on Heaven Hill 27 at retail. I’m not a flipper and the $350 price tag is really high IMO for something that I have seen pretty universally bad reviews for.

 

Am I insane? Is it actually amazing? Should I go back? 

It's not amazing. It is very unique and a historical snapshot. But...don't know that I'd have caved either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bambam

Dupe post- sorry!

Edited by Bambam
Dupe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bambam
24 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

1) No

2) Couldn't tell you

3) Hell no!

 

17 minutes ago, Clueby said:

It's not amazing. It is very unique and a historical snapshot. But...don't know that I'd have caved either. 

 

Thanks guys. It’s a beautiful bottle but not worth that much if I’m not going to enjoy the taste IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeepCover
1 minute ago, Bambam said:

 

 

Thanks guys. It’s a beautiful bottle but not worth that much if I’m not going to enjoy the taste IMO. 

Agreed. I haven’t tried it myself, but based on reviews I would’ve passed, with zero regrets. That’s a hell of a lot of money to spend on a bottle that you don’t already know will absolutely knock your socks off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
13 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Thanks guys. It’s a beautiful bottle but not worth that much if I’m not going to enjoy the taste IMO. 

I shouldn't have responded to your question....

 

I've had and still have so many great bottles that cost under $100 that I can't imagine spending $350 for anything. You might find it to be the best whiskey you've ever tasted and if you're willing to spend that kind of cash, more power to you. It's just not something I would even consider so my opinion isn't based on anything useful. Sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bambam
37 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

Agreed. I haven’t tried it myself, but based on reviews I would’ve passed, with zero regrets. That’s a hell of a lot of money to spend on a bottle that you don’t already know will absolutely knock your socks off. 

Yeah I mean I got the Booker’s 30th for roughly half of HH27 retail and it’s one of the best things I’ve ever had. 

 

Cant see paying twice that for one I’d only display.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bambam
26 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I shouldn't have responded to your question....

 

I've had and still have so many great bottles that cost under $100 that I can't imagine spending $350 for anything. You might find it to be the best whiskey you've ever tasted and if you're willing to spend that kind of cash, more power to you. It's just not something I would even consider so my opinion isn't based on anything useful. Sorry

Your opinion is still useful. I buy stuff to drink and most of my favorites are way less than $100. 

 

If I was a flipper I guess it would’ve been great...but I just don’t want to be that person. Would rather let someone have it who will drink it.

Edited by Bambam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
1 hour ago, Bambam said:

I just passed on Heaven Hill 27 at retail. I’m not a flipper and the $350 price tag is really high IMO for something that I have seen pretty universally bad reviews for.

 

Am I insane? Is it actually amazing? Should I go back? 

1.  Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtasked.  You’re overtasking!

2.  I don’t know, but the PHC 27 yr was.

3.  If you’re not going to drink it...no.  I believe that would be a waste.  But, if you want to taste an uber aged bourbon with documented provenance...it is worth a shot if you can afford it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby
39 minutes ago, Bambam said:

 

If I was a flipper I guess it would’ve been great...but I just don’t want to be that person. Would rather let someone have it who will drink it.

The chance of someone buying it and NOT trying to flip it are probably pretty slim.  Not trying to squash your noble thought..sorry. I do hope someone who really wants to drink it and experience it buys it.  I got to try a pour of it. It smelled great. It tasted like a dusty attic. Someone said it was like licking grandma's floor I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bambam
6 minutes ago, Clueby said:

The chance of someone buying it and NOT trying to flip it are probably pretty slim.  Not trying to squash your noble thought..sorry. I do hope someone who really wants to drink it and experience it buys it.  I got to try a pour of it. It smelled great. It tasted like a dusty attic. Someone said it was like licking grandma's floor I think.

I told a friend about it who had it on his list. But yeah otherwise I’m sure someone will try to make some money. 

 

The old floorboard taste comment was something I’d heard too. Too much money for dusty attic taste lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...