Condensation inside the bottle

Postal Grunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As I reached for my bottle of Stagg Jr yesterday, I noticed what appeared to be condensation on the interior shoulder of the bottle. Thankfully, nothing was wrong with the whiskey- I did a QC pour and the cork looked fine as well. Not having seen anything like this before in any of my bottles, I'm curious as to what the cause for this phenomena might be. It's stored on a shelf in my man cave with six other bottles of at least 100 proof whiskeys at room temperature averaging 80F of air conditioned environment and none of the others have done this.

Edited by Postal Grunt
accuracy

That happens due to temperature swings in the environment. Even day/night swings could be enough. It is perfectly normal and harmless. Also it actually shows that the cork is good, not letting air in or out. Different bottle and neck shapes, and even how you arrange your 6 bottles on the shelf can make it more pronounced.

Edited by Kane

22 hours ago, Kane said:

That happens due to temperature swings in the environment. Even day/night swings could be enough. It is perfectly normal and harmless. Also it actually shows that the cork is good, not letting air in or out. Different bottle and neck shapes, and even how you arrange your 6 bottles on the shelf can make it more pronounced.

Stagg Jr bottles must be bad for that, as I notice some of mine (different batches/fill levels) do that but none of my other bottles do.

Wonder if it can alter taste of unopened bottles long term?

7 hours ago, uncork_it_already said:

Wonder if it can alter taste of unopened bottles long term?

Highly unlikely. It's just a mix of evaporating water and alcohol. It happens all the time, even if you can't always see it.

I see this often with Whistle Pigs, both in stores, and in the one I have at home, currently unopened.  Must be something about the bottle neck.  

IMG_3170.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mwmac said:

It happens in my Glencairn when I put a whisky hat on it.

"whisky hat" - HA! Always thought of them as lids; but now that you say it, yeah. They shall henceforth be known as whisky hats.

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

I noticed this in a bottle of Eagle Rare I bought earlier today.  I was considering buying two bottles, but was a bit put off by the condensation.  After doing a little more research and determining that the condensation is harmless, I may go back and grab a second bottle.  Eagle Rare is becoming harder to find and $25 is the lowest I've been able to find it for.

I have a bottle of Bullett Rye that did this.  Wide rounded bottles seem to be the most likely to develop condensation.

Edited by rjg1701

• 1 year later...

In my man cave room where my bar is located, I've noticed this but only with the bottles that are in direct path of the air flow from the A/C vent in the ceiling. I don't put any expensive bottles on those few shelves ... just in case.

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

In my man cave room where my bar is located, I've noticed this but only with the bottles that are in direct path of the air flow from the A/C vent in the ceiling. I don't put any expensive bottles on those few shelves ... just in case.

Speaking of, I'm drinking some WT101 from a 375 bottle from that shelf that has the condensation. And it tastes absolutely fabulous.  ?

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Speaking of, I'm drinking some WT101 from a 375 bottle from that shelf that has the condensation. And it tastes absolutely fabulous.  ?

Hmmmm. ?   Maybe an at-home way to improve even an already fine Bourbon has been found?   Food (or drink?) for thought..... ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.