How do you answer "what is bourbon, anyway"

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Most of my friends know I'm a fanatic for bourbon so they've already heard the LONG version. And on a good night, we can go on and on for hours.

But sometimes I'm asked by a new acquaintance "what exactly is bourbon, anyways". I don't want to give them the long story in an effort not to become the bore of the party. I know how I answer the question, but I'm curious how you cover the topic, in two sentences or less. smile.gif

Well, unless they are from Mars or something I take it for granted they know its alcohol and all that. So I basically tell them its made from 3 grains; corn, rye (or wheat) and barley malt which is turned into a mash, fermented and then distilled. It is aged in new white oak barrels that have been charred which is gives bourbon its unique color and characteristics. That's about it... Sometimes I throw in how JD is NOT bourbon and I throw in a bad wrap about scotch but since that would be 3 lines, it doesnt count here. lol.gif

I find that when people want a very short answer to something, especially

with a "what is..." question, they don't really want to know why bourbon

A is different than bourbon B. They want to know why bourbon is different

than, say, chardonnay. So forget all about rye vs. wheat mashbills.

When I first asked myself "what is bourbon?", I had no idea what the

definition of whiskey was! New charred oak barrels or used barrels?

Forget about it! Just the fact that it was aged in barrels at all

was news to me! I thought bourbon might have red wine it! Or maybe

it was flavored like gin by soaking herbs and spices in it... I was

clueless.

So I answer as follows:

Bourbon is American whiskey. You ferment up grains like corn and rye, distill

it, and then it's aged to perfection in oak barrels.

Tim Dellinger

Well, unless they are from Mars or something I take it for granted they know its alcohol and all that. So I basically tell them its made from 3 grains; corn, rye (or wheat) and barley malt which is turned into a mash, fermented and then distilled. It is aged in white oak barrels that have been charred which is gives bourbon its unique color and characteristics. That's about it... Sometimes I throw in how JD is NOT bourbon and I throw in a bad wrap about scotch but since that would be 3 lines, it doesnt count here. lol.gif

I'm curious about that bad wrap against scotch. What bad things would you say about it?

Dave, in addition to the fine advice given here you might want to point out that is the official U.S. whiskey/spirit and the only spirit that uses new white oak -- then charred.

But agreed if you go overboard they think you are being a wise guy and that you've told them how a watch works when they only wanted the time.

"America's true spirit distilled from corn & other grains and aged in charred, new white oak barrels for at least four years" probably will do.

I also like to add that its pureness is protected by law in that it cannot contain additives nor flavourings... but that always takes me into my third sentence! crazy.gif

Well, if I've already had a drink, and am feeling a bit lyrical, I might describe it something like:

Bourbon is a warm friend for a cool night, or a cool drink for a warm friend.

Fortunately, I never drink that much and don't get lyrical often.

"Bourbon, it's what's for dinner"

Good one. For me it's the appetizer and then straight to dessert. smile.gif

No. "Bourbon--It's not just for breakfast anymore." or maybe "Bourbon, Breakfast of Champions."

Or simply: "Bourbon, the pinnacle of man's pleasure."

"Bourbon, Breakfast of Champions."

I was gonna make a comment about that, but after a 2nd thought, I'm not gonna say a thing! grin.gif

I just say:

Bourbon is whiskey made in the United States from several grains but predominantly corn and aged in new charred oak barrels until it's bottled. It's all natural with no artificial colorings or flavors.

That's two sentences and covers most of it I think. If they want more details, they can ask.

I wrote:

"America's true spirit distilled from corn & other grains and aged in charred, new white oak barrels for at least four years" probably will do.

I wrote it that way because "any respectable bourbon" (my opinion) I know is aged at least 4 years and labeled that way. I realize bourbon can technically be aged 2 years. I think most that I drink are at least 7 years old.

So technically I stand corrected if we want to declare the official definition of bourbon. Maybe I should amend my statement to "... and most decent bourbon is aged at least four years.'

Some people think that bourbon might be inferior hot.gif to scotches because so many single malts are aged so much longer. But it takes a lot longer for a scotch to draw much out of an already used barrel in cooler climate.

For goodness sake -- I'm just jabbering away here!

Bourbon is a warm friend for a cool night, or a cool drink for a warm friend.

Can I quote you on that one? I like it.

"Bourbon, the pinnacle of man's pleasure."

Hey, the pinnacle of many of us wo-man's pleasure, too. grin.gif

"American whisky made mostly from corn. Here try some."

or

"It's not Scotch"

Most do not care about the whole story.

Steal away! (If there's ever any money in it, though, know that I've archived this post. I'll sue! Kidding, kidding!)

Don't tell them anything! Walk away. Or better yet--Lie. Tell them the only real bourbon is Jack Daniels and everything else is crap. And for God's sake don't even mention Rye.

I'm sick and tired of finding a new favorite and having it disappear from the shelves the next month.

Everyone here is grandfathered in, but no newbies!

I realize this goes contrary to the general spirit of this board, but I'm miffed that I can't find anymore Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. hot.gif (So much so that I just broke a personal rule and used an emoticon)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.