Gone HHBIB

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got 4 at $17. Man this sucks. Only a couple months ago LB had 50 on the shelf for $12.  HH confirmed its discontinued. 

Just now, FasterHorses said:

Got 4 at $17. Man this sucks. Only a couple months ago LB had 50 on the shelf for $12.  HH confirmed its discontinued. 

Hadn't heard that whats the source here email?

• I like it 1

45 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Hadn't heard that whats the source here email?

I drove up to Kentucky today and noticed it was $20 at the first spot. I laughed and went on to the second and third and then LB.  No one had any. The guy at store number 3 seemed like the owner and said their rep told him they would not be getting any more. I called HH and they confirmed it would be discontinued by the end of the year. Heard the same story from the LB manager and employees. Then at three more places I was told the same thing. Finally one store had about 20 for$17 ea. I asked for a discount if i bought a case and he said its discontinued and in high demand. I grabbed 4 but I wanted to clear the shelf. 

Called another place inLouisvile and was told theyre going to get rid of this but will introduce a new product that is supposed to be better. Im sure it will be better for HHs bottom line.

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 1

I drove up to Kentucky today and noticed it was $20 at the first spot. I laughed and went on to the second and third and then LB.  No one had any. The guy at store number 3 seemed like the owner and said their rep told him they would not be getting any more. I called HH and they confirmed it would be discontinued by the end of the year. Heard the same story from the LB manager and employees. Then at three more places I was told the same thing. Finally one store had about 20 for$17 ea. I asked for a discount if i bought a case and he said its discontinued and in high demand. I grabbed 4 but I wanted to clear the shelf. 
Called another place inLouisvile and was told theyre going to get rid of this but will introduce a new product that is supposed to be better. Im sure it will be better for HHs bottom line.

The HH 6yo 90 proof green label is really good too, and still readily available for a really good price. I brought a handle back from Kentucky that was on sale for $22.99.
  • I like it 2

5 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

The HH 6yo 90 proof green label is really good too, and still readily available for a really good price. I brought a handle back from Kentucky that was on sale for $22.99.

I think I have confirmed that for whatever reason I like the 90 better, even adding water to the BIB the profile is just different enough.

• I like it 1

I have not tried it as the BIB was so perfect. I will give the green label a try next time.. unless they take it away as well.

15 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I'll be an optimist and hold out hope that it's getting older, bringing back the 8 or 12 year!  

• I like it 2

Just now, FasterHorses said:

I have not tried it as the BIB was so perfect. I will give the green label a try next time.. unless they take it away as well.

Don't go giving them any ideas

Good news guys they took a page out of the old BT "Marketing" hand book and are releasing a new product called DOUBLE HEAVEN VERY HILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like Denny was so pissed about this he left to work for Maker's 

Anybody check on Bernie Lubbers yet?

Edited by kevinbrink
This is of course a joke
  • I like it 3

I think we've heard this before from stores, to find out they were full of shit (but were effective at selling out their bottles). Not surprised with shelves being cleared within the last week - everyone and their brother (except me @#$%) was in Kentucky for the festival, and all of us out-of-staters tend to buy a bottle or 12 during that trip.  Until their is confirmation from a credible HH source, I'm not worried.  

I mean . . . of course I AM worried . . . but I'm not going to lose sleep over it ;)  But I've been worried that they'd cut this for a few years, and it hasn't happened yet.

• I like it 2

22 minutes ago, GaryT said:

I think we've heard this before from stores, to find out they were full of shit (but were effective at selling out their bottles). Not surprised with shelves being cleared within the last week - everyone and their brother (except me @#$%) was in Kentucky for the festival, and all of us out-of-staters tend to buy a bottle or 12 during that trip.  Until their is confirmation from a credible HH source, I'm not worried.  

I mean . . . of course I AM worried . . . but I'm not going to lose sleep over it ;)  But I've been worried that they'd cut this for a few years, and it hasn't happened yet.

I hope this is whats actually going on. Literally 9 of 11 stores had the same story. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I think I have confirmed that for whatever reason I like the 90 better, even adding water to the BIB the profile is just different enough.

You and I always seem to be on the same page, palate friend.

I love the green label 90p.

:)

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

You and I always seem to be on the same page, palate friend.

I love the green label 90p.

:)

This is one of the few we agree on.

• I like it 1

This will mark yet another low point in the current boom if it is in fact true. May try to work some old connections to see if I can score one last case or two before it is gone.

18 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I'll be an optimist and hold out hope that it's getting older, bringing back the 8 or 12 year!  

You go, guy! But I always tell Mrs. F.  that, as long as she is wishing for something that ain't gonna happen, she might as well wish really, really big.

• I like it 1

So ive never had any of the HHBIB, but I noticed a few bottles at a local place recently (to my great surprise, as I though it was a KY only product), but it was for $27. Given its popularity on SB I considered buying one, but ultimately I declined as I can get the Henry McKenna for like $31... $4 for 4 more years, seems like the better use of my moolah.

But presuming this thread is correct that it’s going the way of the dodo, I’m conflicted again: is it better to buy one just to say I had it or to keep as a sort of souvenir, or let it pass into the ether without ever knowing it’s deliciousness, so that I won’t have to miss it when it’s gone? 

23 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

So ive never had any of the HHBIB, but I noticed a few bottles at a local place recently (to my great surprise, as I though it was a KY only product), but it was for $27. Given its popularity on SB I considered buying one, but ultimately I declined as I can get the Henry McKenna for like $31... $4 for 4 more years, seems like the better use of my moolah.

But presuming this thread is correct that it’s going the way of the dodo, I’m conflicted again: is it better to buy one just to say I had it or to keep as a sort of souvenir, or let it pass into the ether without ever knowing it’s deliciousness, so that I won’t have to miss it when it’s gone? 

Having had the HMK and finding it OK at best (I assume that my particular purchase was from a less than stellar barrel and stories of HM being widely variable are frequent) The HH6YRBiB is more than worth a shot. I also think HH past a certain age just ain't my thing, I had erratic results with EC12 but a GBS barrel selection was by far my favorite EC experience, I love that one and IIRC it was about 9yrs. I am a big fan of HH and their BiBs and the 6yr is top of the bill IMO. Its not a single barrel so the variation is smoothed out vs. a single barrel. If you want to experience a not too young but properly aged HH even at 27.00 and with HMK on the shelf near it, I would not hesitate. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I would buy a bottle or two despite the fact that I hate BS Pricing, at the end of the day you can do far worse with your $27 and not everyone thinks 10 year old bourbon tastes better than 6 and most bourbons in that price range are NAS anyway. 

Thanks @kcgumbohead and @kevinbrink the store is somewhat out of the way, but if next time I go they still have it I’ll pull the trigger... around 10 years seems to be my sweet spot though, and I’m typically left underwhelmed by offerings younger than 8 years. But I suppose the “how” and “where” elements of the ageing have as much to do with the end result as the “how long,” so it’s worth a shot to me.

It would be a shame if this is gone.  Not only was (Is?) it a great bourbon for the price, I always thought it was really cool that HH had something special exclusively for Kentucky.   

Lately though I am feeling like HH is positioning itself to squeeze every dollar it can our of the boom.  Discontinuing old standby values like Old Fitz BiB to use for Limited Editions while they condition us to pay $10/year for age statements!  I get it, they are a business, but I do not have to like it! 

Big Sky, I stand on the other side of your question.  I would pass at $27.  Part of why the HH6 was great to me was the price to value ratio.  VOB BiB is around the same price as HH6  and I love it.  But there is no way I would pay $27 for one.  That said, if you have never tried it, want to get the monkey off your back etc . . . go for it!   I do have a feeling you will decide that you would rather spend the extra $4 and get McKenna next time.  

Then again, I just realized that I have never tried the VOB6 and would absolutely pay $27 to try a bottle of that sooooo hypocritical much? 

I had a Louisville LS clerk tell me this was being discontinued when I was in Kentucky well over a year ago.  Much like the OGD114 rumors that never came to pass but created a buying frenzy, I'll believe it when an announcement comes from the company.  

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Big Sky, I stand on the other side of your question.  I would pass at $27.  Part of why the HH6 was great to me was the price to value ratio.  VOB BiB is around the same price as HH6  and I love it.  But there is no way I would pay $27 for one.  That said, if you have never tried it, want to get the monkey off your back etc . . . go for it!   I do have a feeling you will decide that you would rather spend the extra $4 and get McKenna next time.  

I have to agree with you.  What made HH6 BiB so desirable was the price.  At $10.99, there was no question that it was the best bourbon one could buy for that price.  I still have 8 or 9 bottles stashed.  Now that it's (reportedly) gone up to $15.99, it's not a bad deal but it's approaching the price point of WT101 (which is currently around $17.50 at my local Kroger if you mix/match 6 bottles).  At $27, there's no way I'd buy it.  I do agree if he wants to satisfy his curiosity, then it's probably worth it for a one-time purchase.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.