Looking for my 4R cult card . . .

Bob_Loblaw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

About two and a half years deep into my bourbon journey now and I have been busy exploring the big houses.  Tried all of the bottom shelfer BiB values, gone through most of Sazerac's portfolio as well as Heaven Hill.  Recently plowed my way through a lot of the Turkey offerings, taking a long stop with about 10 different RR store picks. Next up, my 4R cult card.  Although I have tried several different 4F expressions the one thing that I really want to do is open all 10 recipes at the same time and work my way through them at once.  I want to take my time and  explore the differences in yeast strains and recipes, flesh out the flavor profiles and really see the variety that 4R has to offer.  I have told myself that this needs to happen before I can start in on any of the Limited Editions.  I have 7 of the 10 and am missing OESO, OBSO, and OBSK.  

If anyone has or knows of a place that has any of the three recipes I need I would greatly appreciate a PM on the subject.  I am not sure whether this is an allowable request, and if not I will edit and remove.  I am just at a complete dead end and with fewer and fewer 4R picks on the shelves am starting to worry that I will never get all 10!  The w12 discussion earlier about he regional variance with bourbon made me hopeful that some other market may have the bottles I need.  

35 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

About two and a half years deep into my bourbon journey now and I have been busy exploring the big houses.  Tried all of the bottom shelfer BiB values, gone through most of Sazerac's portfolio as well as Heaven Hill.  Recently plowed my way through a lot of the Turkey offerings, taking a long stop with about 10 different RR store picks. Next up, my 4R cult card.  Although I have tried several different 4F expressions the one thing that I really want to do is open all 10 recipes at the same time and work my way through them at once.  I want to take my time and  explore the differences in yeast strains and recipes, flesh out the flavor profiles and really see the variety that 4R has to offer.  I have told myself that this needs to happen before I can start in on any of the Limited Editions.  I have 7 of the 10 and am missing OESO, OBSO, and OBSK.  

If anyone has or knows of a place that has any of the three recipes I need I would greatly appreciate a PM on the subject.  I am not sure whether this is an allowable request, and if not I will edit and remove.  I am just at a complete dead end and with fewer and fewer 4R picks on the shelves am starting to worry that I will never get all 10!  The w12 discussion earlier about he regional variance with bourbon made me hopeful that some other market may have the bottles I need.  

Can't tell from your profile what state you are in.  There used to be a thread dedicated to your type of request.  Called "help a fellow SB member find a bottle" or something like that, but I guess the thread died out.  Hopefully you'll get some PMs.  My advice would be go to Kentucky, that place is swimming with 4R SiB store picks.

https://www.bountyhunterwine.com/spirits/spirits-private-selections

They currently have your OESK.  I know they have more otw so you may reach out to see what they’re going to be.  I was just in Vegas.  Total wine there has all recipes sitting on the shelves and has been for sometime given the dates.

I am in Illinois.  Thanks for the help everyone.  I have a line on the OBSO and  possibly the OESO! 

12 hours ago, thebourbonreport said:

https://www.bountyhunterwine.com/spirits/spirits-private-selections

They currently have your OESK.  I know they have more otw so you may reach out to see what they’re going to be.  I was just in Vegas.  Total wine there has all recipes sitting on the shelves and has been for sometime given the dates.

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately it is the OBSK I am missing which they do not have.  

29 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I am in Illinois.  Thanks for the help everyone.  I have a line on the OBSO and  possibly the OESO! 

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately it is the OBSK I am missing which they do not have.  

If you have the Os lines up, you have found the hardest ones.  Those are the only 2 I'm missing.

33 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Sorry read that wrong.  Good luck!

OBSO is on its way thanks to a generous SB'er! 

OESO has been located on the Lincoln Road Package Store website thanks to another helpful SB'er and I am waiting to hear back from the owner whether it can be shipped my way.  

So 1 down, 1 in the works, 1 to go.  Thanks for all the help!

• I like it 2

I don't know, does scouring the internet and ordering a specific recipe from a website across the country count?  For me, it takes some of the fun out of physically coming across all 10 recipes naturally.  I think I have 9 of them (not sure, maybe I have 10 now) and all of them were found in person in an actual store.  

Edited by Kepler
fun, not fan. although I am a fan of 4R!

I don't know, does scouring the internet and ordering a specific recipe from a website across the country count?  For me, it takes some of the fun out of physically coming across all 10 recipes naturally.  I think I have 9 of them (not sure, maybe I have 10 now) and all of them were found in person in an actual store.  

If you live in a Four Roses Private Select cask strength desert, you’ll have a hard time acquiring very many. I’m only aware of 3 cask strength barrel picks of Four Roses in my area in the last couple of years. I see lots of regular OBSV barrel picks, but only the three cask strength picks of other recipes. So, travel purchases or online purchases (if possible) are the only options available for many folks to find all ten recipes. Fortunately, I pass through Hattiesburg, MS a few times a year and was able to complete the ten recipe collection there.

16 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

If you live in a Four Roses Private Select cask strength desert, you’ll have a hard time acquiring very many. I’m only aware of 3 cask strength barrel picks of Four Roses in my area in the last couple of years. I see lots of regular OBSV barrel picks, but only the three cask strength picks of other recipes. So, travel purchases or online purchases (if possible) are the only options available for many folks to find all ten recipes. Fortunately, I pass through Hattiesburg, MS a few times a year and was able to complete the ten recipe collection there.

True, but.... 

We don't see very many 4R private picks here in Texas, and when we do, it tends to be a rotation of 5 or so of the recipes.  I had to pick the others up while traveling, which to me anyway, is a shitload of fun.  I enjoy finding a surprise private barrel pick of anything out of state while I'm traveling, because when I get it back home, every time I pop the cork and pour a sip, I remember where I was and what I was doing.  

It's just not the same experience if I search out and order a bottle online.   But then again, I don't live on the internet like some.

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

True, but.... 

We don't see very many 4R private picks here in Texas, and when we do, it tends to be a rotation of 5 or so of the recipes.  I had to pick the others up while traveling, which to me anyway, is a shitload of fun.  I enjoy finding a surprise private barrel pick of anything out of state while I'm traveling, because when I get it back home, every time I pop the cork and pour a sip, I remember where I was and what I was doing.  

It's just not the same experience if I search out and order a bottle online.   But then again, I don't live on the internet like some.

I say do both. I’ve only bought 1 bottle online because it’s so expensive with close to secondary pricing and shipping but if I had the money I would order more stuff I can’t get in my market. However, the hunt would still be on in my travels too. 

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

But then again, I don't live on the internet like some.

He said while posting in an online forum . . . :)  Absolutely zero malice there Kepler, just could not resist.

The original intent was to get all 10 by hunting.  Almost all of mine were found 2+ years ago when I decided I wanted to get all 10 recipes within the first 6 months of searching then a few things happened: 1) 4 Roses picks began drying up as the distillery started limited private barrel picks;  2) - Children.  I just do not have the time or ability to go hunting with a 1 and 3 year old.  I do not travel for work so no relief there;  and 3) Loyalty is a two way street, I buy 95% of my bourbon from a single store who takes good care of me.  I can only purchase/consume so much so every random bottle I buy from another store is one less from the one who I want to support.  The last 5% is various other store picks as those are the only items that I cannot obtain at my store.   My store has told me they will not be able to get another 4R Barrel until 2019.

I really debated posting here at all, but ultimately I am anxious to get going on the tasting experience I have wanted to do for a few years now.  I am not on Facebook or Instagram, but the members of my tasting group are and my next step may be to have one of them post for me.  Ugh.  

Total sidenote, but does this whole cult card thing make anyone else want to design an ACTUAL punch card with the 10 recipes listed on it?   That would be fantastically nerdy.

• I like it 2

39 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

He said while posting in an online forum . . . :)  Absolutely zero malice there Kepler, just could not resist.

The original intent was to get all 10 by hunting.  Almost all of mine were found 2+ years ago when I decided I wanted to get all 10 recipes within the first 6 months of searching then a few things happened: 1) 4 Roses picks began drying up as the distillery started limited private barrel picks;  2) - Children.  I just do not have the time or ability to go hunting with a 1 and 3 year old.  I do not travel for work so no relief there;  and 3) Loyalty is a two way street, I buy 95% of my bourbon from a single store who takes good care of me.  I can only purchase/consume so much so every random bottle I buy from another store is one less from the one who I want to support.  The last 5% is various other store picks as those are the only items that I cannot obtain at my store.   My store has told me they will not be able to get another 4R Barrel until 2019.

I really debated posting here at all, but ultimately I am anxious to get going on the tasting experience I have wanted to do for a few years now.  I am not on Facebook or Instagram, but the members of my tasting group are and my next step may be to have one of them post for me.  Ugh.  

Total sidenote, but does this whole cult card thing make anyone else want to design an ACTUAL punch card with the 10 recipes listed on it?   That would be fantastically nerdy.

I’ll second the punch card idea. 

I’ve got all 10 and had to order a few from an online shop. C/S bottles among friends isn’t quite like finding in the wild but it feels different than buying from an online shop. Long as they taste good, I’m happy. 

14 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I say do both. I’ve only bought 1 bottle online because it’s so expensive with close to secondary pricing and shipping but if I had the money I would order more stuff I can’t get in my market. However, the hunt would still be on in my travels too. 

I like it.

10 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

10 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I’ll second the punch card idea. 

I’ve got all 10 and had to order a few from an online shop. C/S bottles among friends isn’t quite like finding in the wild but it feels different than buying from an online shop. Long as they taste good, I’m happy. 

I love the punch card idea.  Actually I've always thought that Four Roses should make a wooden box gift set of all 10 recipes in small 200 ml bottles.  It would make a really cool gift for any bourbon lover, and especially to member of the Cult like us.

• I like it 2

It's even harder getting the recipes here in Europe. I've ever only seen the standard and the annual limited edition Sib.

I don't even care if it's single barrel, I just want to try the recipes side-by-side. 

I think they should vat a bunch of each recipe, try to get the best representation of each, and then sell a box with ten 20-50 cl. bottles.

• I like it 2

On 9/26/2018 at 9:24 AM, Bob_Loblaw said:

If you're near a Binny's that's your ticket.  They usually get a huge haul of barrel picks about twice a year.  Not all locations get all of the barrel picks, but if it's in their system, they'll ship it to your store.

51 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

If you're near a Binny's....they'll ship it to your store.

Is that a recent development/change?  I thought I remember Chuck Cowdery saying (some years ago, though), that multi-location liquor retailers in Chicago like Binny’s (perhaps IL in general) could not transfer product between stores due to some sort of local/state law.  I remember it sounding silly at the time, and perhaps I did not comprehend correctly.

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Is that a recent development/change?  I thought I remember Chuck Cowdery saying (some years ago, though), that multi-location liquor retailers in Chicago like Binny’s (perhaps IL in general) could not transfer product between stores due to some sort of local/state law.  I remember it sounding silly at the time, and perhaps I did not comprehend correctly.

There are some silly rules.  I've been able to have my local store look up a bottle and if it is inventoried at another location, I can pay at my local store, but the store that has the bottle inventoried gets the sale.  The transfer happens after payment.  Never had a problem with this method - done it multiple times.  Only issue is Binnys sometime does not put LE's into the system, at least the one that we see online at their website, even after it was recently upgraded.  You have to ask them to look it up in their internal system. 

The OESK Binnys pick from earlier this year is outstanding. So was the OESK from last year as well!

OESF and OESQ are my last two to acquire. Costco had an OESQ pick a couple of months ago, but it sold out in a matter of hours and I wasn't able to make it in time. For some reason the other recipes stick around - guess I wasn't the only one looking for that one! I do enjoy finding them while traveling so I don't look online but don't begrudge those who do so for the harder to find recipes.

On 9/30/2018 at 7:08 PM, Whiskeythink.com said:

The OESK Binnys pick from earlier this year is outstanding. So was the OESK from last year as well!

This years was a 10 year OESK right?  That is the one I have waiting to be opened.

OBSO has arrived, search continues for the OESO and OBSK.  Turns out the OESO store will not ship so back to the drawing board.  

18 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

OESF and OESQ are my last two to acquire. Costco had an OESQ pick a couple of months ago, but it sold out in a matter of hours and I wasn't able to make it in time. For some reason the other recipes stick around - guess I wasn't the only one looking for that one! I do enjoy finding them while traveling so I don't look online but don't begrudge those who do so for the harder to find recipes.

I picked up an OESQ today, and while I left town and haven't tried it yet, it came from a store that I trust the people picking. (I think one of whom is TANSTAAFL on this board.)  If you plan to be in the Atlanta area anytime soon PM me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.