Sign in to follow this  
jshleffar

Real McCoy 10

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

jshleffar

Anyone end up trying the 10 year virgin oak version? I keep wanting to buy one, probably will, but there's a massive lack of reviews in existence apparently.

gurgalunas

I havent seen that one, myself.  Based on  how I like the other Real McCoy bottles, I'd give one a shot, assuming it's not priced stupid.  The 12 yr is in the mid/upper $40s here, so something similar would be automatic.  Approach Foursquare pricing, and I'd wait for the reviews...  

NightCru

I have a bottle and I like it.  I love anything Foursquare though.  It's very oak forward and is on the verge of being too oak driven to me.  From what I remember it has a little bit of bitter oak tannin going on, certainly more so than in the 12 year.  From what I remember this was a mix of bourbon barrels and virgin oak barrels.  I assume it's the virgin oak that gives it the aggressive oak tannin.  It has been a while since I've had it but that's what I remember to the best of my recollection.  

For me as a Foursquare/Real McCoy mark I felt the need to have a bottle for completeness and due to curiosity.  It is definitely worth the money but I also liked the 12 year LE a lot better.  That was less bitter and I really like how the Madeira barrels affected that one.  

• I like it 2

jshleffar
2 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

I havent seen that one, myself.  Based on  how I like the other Real McCoy bottles, I'd give one a shot, assuming it's not priced stupid.  The 12 yr is in the mid/upper $40s here, so something similar would be automatic.  Approach Foursquare pricing, and I'd wait for the reviews...  

It's been out for quite a while so reviews shouldve been up ages ago. It's priced at 60 and only 92 proof, if it was one of the 56%-cask strengths id've certainly gotten it already. Piz, you out there? I would assume youdve gotten it since you have access to it as well and tend to get those releases?

kevinbrink

I was shopping at a store that I don't frequent all that much, though it is one of @Marekv8's stops when he is in NYC if I recall correctly and there was one bottle of this one on the shelf, despite the fact that I haven't picked up any of the other Foursquare releases since Criterion I felt compelled to pick this up. I wanted to compare it to something standard so I went with Doorly's 12, it is a clear step up, more rich, lots of vanilla and maybe a little cedar it's really nice.

y4mcGx6tuHcu9kZQQTDQH1n8VbxkvRcoyFtVGjfX

Now the other side of the coin, I followed it up with 2004 which is my personal favorite of those I have had, in comparison to that there are definitely some similarities but the 2004 has much more bite and viscosity, brought down to proof I might take the RM10 but as they are bottled I very much prefer 2004.  Ultimately I don't regret the purchase but 2004 was certainly a better value. 

• I like it 2

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.