Documenting Your Stash

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't use anything.  If I knew how much I had and how much I've spent, it might deter me from seeking out every new batch of ECBP, Booker's, etc.  Besides, it would ruin the fun of rummaging around in the bunker and finding something I'd forgotten I had.  :lol:

• I like it 4

Do you iron your socks? Just kidding. I create things like that and then never return to them. Some other interesting thing pops up and I never fini....

• I like it 2

I've started and stopped so many times trying to document that I've simply given up trying to log what I have.

I made a spreadsheet a little over a year ago and stopped updating it before the snow melted. 

I keep an Excel spreadsheet as well.  It's crazy when the collection doesn't seem that big, but when listed it's a bit overwhelming.  I will say, it helps with some of the more unique features of a product, like barrel/batch #s.

I created an Excel spreadsheet many years ago. I generally keep it updated. I do this for a couple of reasons. For better or worse, I actually do like to know just what I have. I’ll also print a copy every so often and put it in a small fire resistant safe to keep on hand for insurance purposes. You know, just in case. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

I keep a very complex spreadsheet (because I'm a self-professed geek!)  One tab is for inventory (similar to yours, screengrab of a few rows below) where it includes what it is, when I bought it, when I opened it, approximately how full it is, when I last poured it (although admittedly that isn't 100% accurate), and some other odds/ends.  The "Approx Vol" converts the bottle size and percent into an estimate of mL, so I can chart approximately how many ounces of whiskey I have on hand (and with that, project how many years I could continue at current consumption rates without needing to buy another bottle).  THAT was what convinced me I needed to stop buying a new bottle every month (or even every other month) of I'd never work through it in this lifetime!

image.thumb.png.c952d973adb4034954335c69393c2868.png

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I created an Excel spreadsheet many years ago. I generally keep it updated. I do this for a couple of reasons. For better or worse, I actually do like to know just what I have. I’ll also print a copy every so often and put it in a small fire resistant safe to keep on hand for insurance purposes. You know, just in case. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

Never thought of that even though I periodically take pics of each room from several angles a couple times a year for the same reason.  THX!

I keep a very complex spreadsheet (because I'm a self-professed geek!)  One tab is for inventory (similar to yours, screengrab of a few rows below) where it includes what it is, when I bought it, when I opened it, approximately how full it is, when I last poured it (although admittedly that isn't 100% accurate), and some other odds/ends.  The "Approx Vol" converts the bottle size and percent into an estimate of mL, so I can chart approximately how many ounces of whiskey I have on hand (and with that, project how many years I could continue at current consumption rates without needing to buy another bottle).  THAT was what convinced me I needed to stop buying a new bottle every month (or even every other month) of I'd never work through it in this lifetime!

image.thumb.png.c952d973adb4034954335c69393c2868.png

Gary, I think you might need professional help...[emoji6]
I don’t have a spreadsheet for by bottles, but I’ve been thinking about creating one or using an App, but I don’t think I’d ever go to the extremes that you have with your spreadsheet...I’m too lazy for that. [emoji3]

If it's for the insurance company, I've got 500 bottles of Stitzel Weller PVW23 and another 500 Rittenhouse 23yr ryes...

(I'm kidding, Paddy)

I see too many spreadsheets for work.  Last thing I want to do is do is work on one for my collection :D

• I like it 1

All this conversation about recording and tracking so much info is making me... THIRSTY!    ;)   And, that's at 6:08 in the a.m.   :o

Imagine the effect actually DOING this much w_rk (4-letter word, dontcha know) might have on me.    The mind boggles!    

Side note: I haven't a clue how many bottles I have, and barely a better handle on what they contain.     So, I guess you could say I'm happily ignorant about all of it.  :P

I'm a spreadsheet guy also.  It's especially helpful when I'm away from home (but near a computer - aka work, or even in my home office that happens to be on the opposite end of the house as my bar) and see something in a store's online website, I can consult my spreadsheet to see if I should go grab that bottle.  It keeps me in check.  Do I REALLY need a 5th bottle of such-and-such?

image.thumb.png.7af17ec7fc30e08c5138c9b6aa642c7a.png

No spreadsheet for me. I take a picture every so often of what I have out, usually when someone asks me what I have or to post here. I’ve never taken a picture of what’s stored in the basement bunker. Maybe I should for insurance. Spreadsheet seems like a lot of work to me but if you love doing it, go for it. 

Edited by Charlutz

10 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Spreadsheet seems like a lot of work to me but if you love doing it, go for it. 

It does become a beating at times.  Like when I'm about to finish off a bottle, I ask myself if I really want to head back to update the spreadsheet to "Empty."  Nah, I'll pour something else.

I have a spreadsheet, but it hasn't been updated in... I don't know... a year?? Became too much of a chore. I'd come home with 5 or 6 bottles, have to enter them all in. or finish a bottle and have to show it empty... just became too much to keep up with. 

Thinking about keeping an inventory of un-opened bottles only and just count them as expended when I open one, but keeping up with actual whiskey qty and opened bottles is just too much... for me...

20 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Do you iron your socks? 

Iron? Crazy talk. I dry clean all mine!

No spreadsheet for me. I am pretty organized though and can probably rattle of 80-90% of my bottles.  I have been really working on extensively thinning my bunker aka no backups of most bottles. I do have a notebook where I keep a list of the “high end” purchases just so I have a record of price paid and where they were purchased.  

I thought about the idea after looking at the "Tasting Notebook" that High West sent me in the mail.  As my handwriting is atrocious, it made more sense to me being a geek and from having OCD to put together a speadsheet.  

It was mentioned in another thread about the price/pour, I really like this concept because it encourages me to save for a bottle instead of drinking out.

And yes, I do iron my socks...

• I like it 1

I keep a spreadsheet which is pretty similar to others described here. I have tasting notes, date purchased, date last poured. I also have a graph of the number of unopened bottles over time dating back the last few years. My intention of creating that was to get me to slow my purchases and it's been (mostly) effective.

• I like it 2

I took the semi-lazy approach on this a few years ago, back when you could download the full ratings list on the LA Whiskey Society site. I added a single column to the downloaded spreadsheet, in which I indicate the number I have of each item, if any. I still keep it up, although you can no longer download the list. I keep it up, as it's the only way I can remember everything I have. I even added an informal listing of beers. 

Pat

Edited by Patrick_OKC
deleted extra word, fixed misspelling of my own name.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.