Documenting Your Stash

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I keep a google sheet for all whiskey / beer / wine (although admittedly the wine isn’t up to date).  The beer is really helpful as I know what’s in the fridge and what isn’t (and therefore what can get moved into the fridge next). 

I did a spreadsheet for a while but got lazy and gave up on it.  It's fun to go back and look though.

I did a spreadsheet for a while but got lazy and gave up on it.  It's fun to go back and look though.

Same here. I kind of enjoy stash diving and finding bottles that I forgot I bought.
  • I like it 1

I have a plaintext document (I hate spreadsheets with a passion) with some structure and a few scripts to compute simple statistics. But in addition to my inventory, I use it to track what I tasted for the first time when, and simple notes which lead to buy/don't buy a bottle decisions. It's always fun to go back to it and see the timeline of my entire drinking journey. It helps that I started the list on day 0, so it's comprehensive!

Edited by Kane

I have less than 100 bottles, so I can still keep track of it in my head,  or just by opening the cupboard drawers and looking at it.   I keep (handwritten) statistics for my dice baseball team and ought to go the spreadsheet route for my jazz record collection.   

What is fun for me is the "current dozen" I keep in the record room -   a limited collection of the breadth of whiskey that is open to consume to fit the whim of the music.    Peated and unpeated single malts,  a Scottish blend,  an Irish, a Japanese,  a Canadian,  wheated and ryed bourbons, a rye, a finished bourbon or rye,  and two American crafts.     

Early on in my whiskey explorations I made a list of everything I had bought, and over time I've updated it.  After reading this thread, I'm considering playing around with the format a bit.  I just list the whiskey, where the juice in it was made, and if there are particular identifying notes (barrel or batch numbers, for instance, or other identifying traits) I note those.  It's more like a birder's life list than an inventory control document, although I do indicate on it which bottles I currently have, versus stuff that's drunk and gone.

Edited by chasking

Count me among the spreadsheet nation as well. No quite as elaborate as Garys but not that far off either. It has evolved over the years and I have tailored it to better suit what I want to get out of it, inventory, opened/closed/empty, brand, type, proof, age, location,price,repeat buy or not, tasting notes... I am very glad to have it and I find it fun to keep it current, granted I am in a bourbon zen mode for the most part so its not much of a chore to stay up to date. A very useful companion IMO to keep track of ones "journey".

Very cool!  That's a good idea to add when it was purchased to keep track of the "journey".  To me, it would definitely show how taste has changed over time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.