Rogue Brutal Bitter

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Sierra Nevada porter is on of my favorite beers, not too heavy, not too light. Try their stout as well if you haven't already yum.gif

I've got 2 each of Sierra Nevada's Wheat, Porter and Stout. Sounds like they were all worthwhile buys since many people on here whose opinions on beer I value rated them as good. I can't wait to try them all! toast.gif

These are fine beers. Sierra Nevada was one of the first micros (in the modern era), dating from the early 1980's. It has lasted the course (and then some) because its beers are tops.

Gary

This was one of the many brews that me and Bob got to try this weekend. I think this beer was a bit different than both of us had expected it to be by the look on our faces upon first sip. I found it to have a little bit of a toasted or roasted flavor with a bit of bitterness on the finsih, but enough that I really liked it. Bob said he didn't get much of the bitterness like I did but he is a hop head! lol.gif So I guess for those who don't much care for a lot of hops this one should satisfy. I don't think this one is made in 12oz bottles, so if you look for it, look for the 22oz big boy bottles. toast.gif

post-87-14489811547859_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This beer poured a dark brown color with a thick tan colored head. You would think there would be more hazelnut smell in the nose, but that's not so. The aroma was actually the lowest 'scoring' attribute in my personal rating scale, but not because it smelt bad; I personally did not pick up any particular aroma’s that jumped out at me. Now for the taste and boy was it great. Initially it is a bit nutty and rich with the smallest bit of sweetness. But this quickly fades nicely to a robust chocolate/coffee aftertaste. This beer is a very smooth drinker and I can really see this one complementing a meal, particularly a big juicy steak for some reason. If you see it and want to try a Rogue brew (and like Brown Ales) give this one a shot and let me know what you think!

post-87-14489811555842_thumb.jpg

Oh - my - gawd... This beer had one of the darkest heads I have seen next to their imperial stout. It says it has real imported chocolate in it but I didn't really detect much a chocolate nose or taste in it. I am sure beer heads or those who have a more discernative palate will pick it out, but I didn't. Towards the end I thought I did, but I still say it was just my mind playing tricks on me telling me it was there. I have had a stout or two before I liked but this one just didn't do much for me. Which was very disappointing because I really though I would like it. A bit too overpowering in roasted/burnt flavoring for me. There was some hop bitterness present as well so for those who like stouts and hops this one may probably be more for you.

post-87-14489811557362_thumb.jpg

So Mark, with all of these Rogues you've been tasting, which one do you like best? And I know that Mark won't like this one, but for all of you other hop heads out there, has anyone tried Stone IPA?? It is very hoppy and very yummy! toast.gif

Bob

Honestly Bob, so far it would have to be a toss up between the Honey Cream Ale and the Morimoto Hazelnut Ale. Those 2 are my favs so far, and after them I really likes the American Amber Ale that we had when you were over. One thing I have noticed so far is that Rogue, compared to other micro brewers, tends to use more hops. That's good I guess because so many people love hops plus it is slowly teaching me to appreciate the bitterness they add more.

Oh yeah, I still haven't had those Stone brews yet Bob, but from what I have read, I think I got in WAY over my head by buying taht Arrogant Bastard ale! Check out their website for Arrogant Bastard here.

Not to worry Bob, I had already decided that that will be a bottle I'm going to open when we get together again! I think, no scratch that, I know it's a beer you can appreciate more than I. lol.gif

After trying 2 other Barleywines and really liking them alot, I was really thinking and hoping that this one would be right up there with them. By them I mean Brooklyn Brewery's Monster Ale Barleywine and Old Foghorn from Anchor Steam. Well, sad to say, this one was disappointing. I think it has to do with Rogue really liking to hop their beers more than your average beer. Maybe for those of you who really enjoy hoppy beers, go and buy several Rogues, you will probably love them. This one had no head at all (ok fine who cares), your typical barleywine aroma and thick cloudy brown looking color but was lacking the semi sweet taste I liked in others I have had.

post-87-14489811558896_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I had dinner last Sunday at the Rogue brewhouse in Issaquah, WA (suburb of Seattle). The rogue brewery purchased this brewhouse a while back and you can purchase most Rogue products to go as well as order 21 different beers on tap. I tried the Imperial India Pale Ale. IPA are always high in Alcohol %. The waitress said it was 12.5%. Paired with their "American Kobe" burger; it was a good meal after spending 3 hours out hiking.

Man, you're lucky to have a Rogue brewouse near you like that... I wish I did because they make many brews that are available omly at them. For example, to celebrate their 15th anniversary they have been doing monthly special bottlings for several months now and the only way to try them and buy bottles of them is at their brew houses. Sounds like you had a wonderful time, great food and enjoyed their IPA! toast.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Much lighter in color than the Morimota Hazelnut brew and much lighter in flavor. Not a whole lot of flavors going on and not much, if any, hop bitterness. It is quite malty and a very smooth drinker thats for sure. I think this one said it paired best with chicken or seafood whereas the Hazelnut went with chicken, pork, beef and seafood. Still a decent beer if in the mood for something a little lighter, glad I bought it.

post-87-14489811609301_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.