Best Bourbon on the Shelf 2018

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've already written about the crazy results from our charity auction last week but what I didn't mention was the other part of that event - a double blind tasting by everyone in attendance to determine the best "on the shelf" bourbon.

The criteria is that the tasted bourbons have to be regularly available in the majority of markets in the country. No limited editions or allocated bourbons we considered. This means that a lot of the BT products weren't included. Elmer, Rock Hill, etc. were out. None of the EHT's were included. We considered EHT Small Batch but even that is allocated in some markets. Stagg Jr. was also not included. All of the Wellers were out as well.

We rated on a 5 point scale with 1 being offensively bad and 5 being perfect. In the middle, a 3 counted as "enjoyable" and a 3.5 was "very good". 4 and 4.5 were "great" and "amazing" respectively so a bourbon had to clearly be a cut above to get a 4 or above.

In the months leading up to the event, the Bourbon Crusaders double blind tasted 60 bourbons that reflected a cross section of all the major distilleries that met the above criteria. We narrowed it down to a top 10 and had the 125 attendees at the event rate them double blind using the same rating system that we used.

And the winner is:

IMG_5128.jpg

• I like it 7

If those are shown in order all the way down the line, I'd not argue with any of the top seven belonging in such a "top-ten" selections list (though I've heard of clinker' bottles of McKenna 10 BIB; never owned a truly bad myself, though). 

I'm not sure about Michter's, never having owned one.

I've had a bottle of Old Bardstown BIB that was stellar; but also tasted from one on a table (at the Gazebo, actually) that was panther piss.

Old Grand Dad BIB belongs as well. 

Not sure; but that second last bottle loox like a Woodford bottle, and I can't get past an unpleasant under-taste in pretty much all their stuff; but, that's a personal peculiarity, I guess.

In fact all this is just my own taste buddies talking, so it's highly subjective ...as these things always are.

Definitely a worthy and legit top 3. Would have been fun to have thrown Rock Hill Farms into that mix, but it sure doesn’t meet your criteria. Thanks for the results.

5 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

If those are shown in order all the way down the line, I'd not argue with any of the top seven belonging in such a "top-ten" selections list (though I've heard of clinker' bottles of McKenna 10 BIB; never owned a truly bad myself, though). 

I'm not sure about Michter's, never having owned one.

I've had a bottle of Old Bardstown BIB that was stellar; but also tasted from one on a table (at the Gazebo, actually) that was panther piss.

Old Grand Dad BIB belongs as well. 

Not sure; but that second last bottle loox like a Woodford bottle, and I can't get past an unpleasant under-taste in pretty much all their stuff; but, that's a personal peculiarity, I guess.

In fact all this is just my own taste buddies talking, so it's highly subjective ...as these things always are.

The Old Bardstown BIB is polarizing. Reviewers either loved it or hated it but it got just enough to squeak into the top ten for the event.

The order of the bottles after the top three got mixed up a bit. OB BIB finished 10th, Woodford 9th, OGDBIB 8th, Michters 7th, then Elijah Craig, BT, and Bulleit 10 (which is Four Roses really), and then the top three.

The Old Bardstown BIB is polarizing. Reviewers either loved it or hated it but it got just enough to squeak into the top ten for the event.
The order of the bottles after the top three got mixed up a bit. OB BIB finished 10th, Woodford 9th, OGDBIB 8th, Michters 7th, then Elijah Craig, BT, and Bulleit 10 (which is Four Roses really), and then the top three.

Really surprised to not see any Four Roses in the top 10, especially since the Bulleit 10 made the list.
  • I like it 1

18 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Really surprised to not see any Four Roses in the top 10, especially since the Bulleit 10 made the list.

We were also all shocked because our group really likes Four Roses. I had 4RYL in my set of pre event double blinds and rated it well. The best we can figure is that we got a mediocre Single Barrel which prevented it from advancing. 

• I like it 1

Tho you guys picked it #3, the power of RR shines thru. Minnick in his Best Everyday Bourbon tasting he did for Forbes this week picked RR as #2. This from a bottle I recently found on a shelf for $20. 

2 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Tho you guys picked it #3, the power of RR shines thru. Minnick in his Best Everyday Bourbon tasting he did for Forbes this week picked RR as #2. This from a bottle I recently found on a shelf for $20. 

I had RRSiB in my pre event set and it got my highest score. Minnick was using the 10yr but I love that one too.

Minnick's best - the Old Ezra Barrel Strength  - wasn't yet in wide distribution when we selected our 60 so it wasn't in our ratings.

Blind tastings are fun and certainly the best way to see what your preferences are (at least for that particular day), but I can't imagine the work involved in doing one for 125 people! Your group is amazing and congratulations once again for an epic event.

• I like it 1

Very cool! When I read the thread title OF 1920 popped into my head right away as did 4RSiB as the two I always recommend that are readily available.  The 4R for newer drinkers as it’s lower proof, bright and fruity and OF for the more seasoned with an amped up Proof. Deeper flavor and great mouthfeel. 

Woukd agree with the theory that you had a subpar 4R Single Barrel.  Mostly Becca that’s what I want to believe!

18 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I'm right there with you on the Woodford. That under-taste keeps me from enjoying Woodford and Old Forester.

Excellent first and 2nd choices. No surprises there for me. I still contend that OF 1920 is better than the recent releases of OFBB, despite that being an unpopular opinion.

Regardless of the 60 bottles tasted, or the criteria involved, I think Joe’s 2018 Weller Blend would probably have finished somewhere in the top 10, if not the top 5.  <_<

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Regardless of the 60 bottles tasted, or the criteria involved, I think Joe’s 2018 Weller Blend would probably have finished somewhere in the top 10, if not the top 5.  <_<

Biba! Joe

If only it were widely available.  He needs to ramp up production... :D

• I like it 3

6 minutes ago, fosmith said:

If only it were widely available.  He needs to ramp up production... :D

What can I say?  Hell, I made four batches this year! :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I would have placed your Weller 2018 blend at #1! As a matter of fact, I still have a little bit of it that I saved and transferred to a small bottle so that it wouldn't oxidize. I just poured out a little of it and nosed it again. Its like the gift that keeps on giving. 

As for how the results turned out, I probably would have reversed the order to Henry McKenna 1st, RR 2nd, and OF 1920 3rd. Although I do like the OF, I just can't get past the smell of fusel oils and banana esters. Otherwise, it looks like a fun line-up. 

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 1

But seriously.........., what the Bourbon Crusaders did with this entire undertaking is truly awesome and inspiring. Kudos to all those involved. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I’m saving my sample bottle for the holidays which are almost here!

I have no doubt your blend would have crushed it!

• I like it 2

Really cool to do a double blind tasting (especially with so many participants!). The top 3 seems reasonable to me (I don't like OF1920 as much as others but it is pretty good). I could quibble with some of the others, but who knows what I'd pick with a blind tasting.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

How do you set up the double blind?

Joe’s 2018 Weller blend was fantastic! I still have a little of it left thanks to Gary...this reminds me that I need to have a small pour soon.

Can't really argue with the order with the choices there.

It's interesting not to see anything from Four Roses (single barrel or small batch?) or 1792 (small batch should be pretty easy to find in most markets?). Were those disqualified or did they simply not make the cut? Though I suppose the Buillet is Four Roses after all.

Can't really argue with the order with the choices there.

It's interesting not to see anything from Four Roses (single barrel or small batch?) or 1792 (small batch should be pretty easy to find in most markets?). Were those disqualified or did they simply not make the cut? Though I suppose the Buillet is Four Roses after all.

Someone hasn’t read all the posts in the thread.

5 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Someone hasn’t read all the posts in the thread.

Ah I found the mention. I've had a bad bottle of FRSB as well so I'm not surprised. My opinion on FR is probably colored too heavily by the store picks.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.