Maker's Mark Now 'Allocated' To Pitch Premium Stature

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I noted in another thread some months ago how Maker's Mark had raised it price a couple bucks per 750ml just to move up to Jack Daniel's price range in order to place itself in direct competition with JD as a "premium" brand. Well, apparently, they're at it again. Now -- at least in Tennessee -- our distributor tell us Maker's Mark will become 'allocated', meaning it will be distributed to restaurants/bars who have it on their drink list first, then larger stores with heavy foot traffic, only then the smaller, neighborhood or Mom-and-Pop stores who might only sell a handful of bottles now and then. Some stores, undoubtedly, will be shut out altogether from selling Maker's Mark.

The implication is, it seems to me, that Maker's Mark management is quite happy with their current product, and think that only better marketing stands in the way of higher revenue.

Only time will tell whether or not they're right. But first blush suggests that higher prices and limited availablility are a counter-intuitive way to promote your only product.

I certainly haven't heard about this...hmmmm...interesting, and if true, infuriating.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.