Sign in to follow this  
Bob_Loblaw

Barrel Aged Boulevardiers for the Holidays!

Bob_Loblaw

Moving this from the PHC thread.  My LS ordered St. Georges Bruto for me so I was able to pick up a bottle of that.  Also grabbed a bottle of Dolin vermouth.

Per tanstaafl2's recipe looks like the proportions will be:

1 bottle St. Georges

1 bottle Dolin

1.5 bottles Bourbon - I would like to bump this to 2 bottles to 1) fill the barrel and 2) yield more final product as a good portion will be holiday gifts.  Do you think this will negatively impact the final product?

No bitters or anything else go in this cocktail correct?  

I noted that tanstaafl2 suggests a cherry and flahute an orange twist so those finishing touches will be added at serving.  I do consider adding and oz or two of Luxardo syrup or maybe an oz of orange bitters as i know some of my receipients will not take the time to garnesh properly.  But maybe for next round. 

At the end of the day I suspect my concerns will all be unnecessary.  It's bourbon, it will be delicious!  

Any other input/thoughts welcome!  I will look to barrel by this weekend and will post a few pictures

Bob_Loblaw

And we’re off! Went with two bottles of W107 and one each of Dolin Vermouth and Bruto Americano. No bitters, no cherry syrup. Will give it two weeks or so, lightly shaking/rotating every few days. Happy Thanksgiving!

998A17EB-F320-4AA4-9ADD-06025E441FCA.jpeg

tanstaafl2

Bruto is going to be interesting. Jumping into the deep end of the pool but I am curious to hear the results. I like to add bitters to each drink individually as it comes out of the barrel but I have seen them used in the mix when it goes in by some bars. Figuring out the right ratio to use is a bit of a challenge. I tried to estimate how much a “dash” is in the past but can’t recall what I came up with. Maybe 0.7 ml?

I don’t thing using 2 oz of whiskey will be a big problem. At least not for this group!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Bob_Loblaw

This came out well.  I was/am not the biggest fan of the bitter woody finish that comes from the Bruto, but the wife absolutely loves it . W107 made for a fantastic cocktail, however with new pricing it will not be something I repeat.  

Next up will be a batch of Vanilla BA Manhattans.  Got three bottles of OF Rye each with a split vanilla bean going, they should be ready sometime in early May.  Will then go three bottles of Vanilla Rye, one bottle vermouth, and undecided on any other bitters/flavors at this point.  Looking like a early June completion.