Happy Thanksgiving!

lilsweetpea
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We've been MIA from the forum... as we take some time to give thanks for all the wonderful things in our lives, I want to wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving!  We miss you and hope you all have a wonderful holiday season!

Any favorite holiday recipes with bourbon?  Please share!

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, lilsweetpea said:

We've been MIA from the forum... as we take some time to give thanks for all the wonderful things in our lives, I want to wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving!  We miss you and hope you all have a wonderful holiday season!

Thanx for the reminder (in advance) of how much we here have to be thankful for lilsweetpea! 

This forum, and the many friends both online and IRL that I've made because of SB.com are among the treasured gifts for which I'll be giving thanks on Thursday. 

I hope all who visit here are able to enjoy every blessing the Holiday Season brings, in good health, and in peace and happiness.

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, lilsweetpea said:

And a very happy Thanksgiving to you, Diana! Hope you guys are well.

I wish a great holiday to everyone here as well. Hope you all have a wonderful and safe holiday weekend with family and friends!

• I like it 2

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the rest of SB nation!  Looking forward to a quiet holiday here in Marietta, but will be thinking about friends and family, and thankful for the opportunity to see some of them at Christmas.

As for recipes with bourbon, below is a link to the recipe I use as the base for my bourbon balls.  Some deviations including using dark chocolate along with semi-sweet, and letting the chopped nuts (which often are the broken pieces of the pecan halves from the previous year) soak in bourbon well past "overnight" (as in, when I make this year's batch, I'll crush the busted pecan halves and start them soaking now . . . as long as they're covered by the bourbon, they'll keep a very long time; I've had some soaking for over a year only because I used to make this a few times a year, and have slowed my cadence).

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/176961/kentucky-bourbon-balls/

Part of the reason I've slowed my cadence on the bourbon balls . . . while they are delicious, they are a fair amount of work.  Last year I found I could make bourbon fudge a whole lot easier!  Below is the recipe I use (sorry - this site is painful with ads, and the recipe is at the bottom).  I have tried deviating from this (like adding more chocolate, or more bourbon) and honestly those didn't turn out as well (consistency wasn't right, etc).  The bourbon flavor intensifies over time (same is true with the bourbon balls), so I like to make these 2-3 weeks ahead of time.  Besides being easier to make, these are a lot easier to transport (the bourbon balls risk the pecans coming off the tops).

https://homemadeandyummy.com/boozy-bourbon-chocolate-fudge/

Lastly - I always have raisins and Craisins soaking in bourbon (and recently set some up to soak in Grand Marnier), as they are excellent in oatmeal raisin cookies!

• I like it 1

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow SB members. I hope you have many things to be thankful for this year and are able to celebrate with family and friends. Of course I’ll be celebrating with some of Wild Turkey’s products...WTMK Revival this year with my brother.

• I like it 2

The traditional bottle of WT is opened (PS KS this year) and all the pre-baking is done. I hope the whole SB community has a great Thanksgiving. This community is definitely on my thankful list!

• I like it 2

To everyone in my “bourbon” family, may y’all have a good time with friends and/or family this Thanksgiving. 

My niece and her husband (galvin0791) took over the reigns of our family Thanksgiving three years ago. That’s where I’ll be tomorrow with our whole fam damily, and a few friends. :D FWIW, Ann and Mike are absolutely fantastic hosts. They really know how to do it up right. The food is always great and we always have a wonderful time. Yeah, even with the after dinner family game time. ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, GaryT said:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the rest of SB nation!  Looking forward to a quiet holiday here in Marietta, but will be thinking about friends and family, and thankful for the opportunity to see some of them at Christmas.

As for recipes with bourbon, below is a link to the recipe I use as the base for my bourbon balls.  Some deviations including using dark chocolate along with semi-sweet, and letting the chopped nuts (which often are the broken pieces of the pecan halves from the previous year) soak in bourbon well past "overnight" (as in, when I make this year's batch, I'll crush the busted pecan halves and start them soaking now . . . as long as they're covered by the bourbon, they'll keep a very long time; I've had some soaking for over a year only because I used to make this a few times a year, and have slowed my cadence).

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/176961/kentucky-bourbon-balls/

Part of the reason I've slowed my cadence on the bourbon balls . . . while they are delicious, they are a fair amount of work.  Last year I found I could make bourbon fudge a whole lot easier!  Below is the recipe I use (sorry - this site is painful with ads, and the recipe is at the bottom).  I have tried deviating from this (like adding more chocolate, or more bourbon) and honestly those didn't turn out as well (consistency wasn't right, etc).  The bourbon flavor intensifies over time (same is true with the bourbon balls), so I like to make these 2-3 weeks ahead of time.  Besides being easier to make, these are a lot easier to transport (the bourbon balls risk the pecans coming off the tops).

https://homemadeandyummy.com/boozy-bourbon-chocolate-fudge/

Lastly - I always have raisins and Craisins soaking in bourbon (and recently set some up to soak in Grand Marnier), as they are excellent in oatmeal raisin cookies!

Thanks for the recipes Gary!  My mouth is watering and I'm going to try these!

• I like it 1

I just made a chocolate bourbon pecan pie.  Cut the chocolate in half in this recipe.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-bourbon-pecan-pie

I make a bourbon ball variation using a old fashioned (without the sugar).  Mix up the bourbon with a few dashes of orange bitters, and one or two of angostura bitters.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.