Jim Rutledge Cream of Kentucky

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got to try a pour of this at a bar. 

Then I bought a bottle.  I thought it had a really great nose. A pleasant slow sipper. And I usually don't like Barton. If Barton could do this regularly for $40 I'd be up for that.

I can see what you mean about the funky finish Clueby - that is a personal taste thing, I considered it "unique". 

I hope they break ground on the JR distillery soon, before the boom is over!

• I like it 2

Final Answer is I'm not going to pick up the ones I found.  I passed on the initial release (bought for a friend) and was just circling back to see if anyone's opinion had changed.  I am also not much a fan of the Barton Line.  Full Proof in particular has way too much banana.  I did enjoy the Sweet Wheat at $35 or whatever it was.

58 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I am also not much a fan of the Barton Line.  

For some reason they seem to sell all their very best stuff to independent bottlers, and save the worst for themselves. 

I guess the IBs are paying decent bucks for the privilege, but I'd really prefer to have an option to buy direct from the producer without a middle man.

For some reason they seem to sell all their very best stuff to independent bottlers, and save the worst for themselves. 

I guess the IBs are paying decent bucks for the privilege, but I'd really prefer to have an option to buy direct from the producer without a middle man.

I don’t know if agree 100% with that. I’ve had quite a few private selection Single Barrels of 1792 Small Batch and Full Proof that have been fantastic! So, I think they do sell some of their best stuff through their own brands, just maybe not always with the basic store shelf stuff.

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

I’m not sure I agree, here.  I’m trying to think of very good sourced IB offerings from Barton that would represent their “very best”, and in contrast, that Barton releases their worst?  

I'm thinking Kentucky Owl Rye for a start. They had rye like that in the warehouses, and they don't even sell a rye!

I'd rather have Cream Of Kentucky than anything I've tasted out of Barton's official releases.

Guess I've stepped on some Barton lovers' toes. My apologies guys.

I've had one great pick of Barton before. And I like Sweet Wheat. So far everything else has left me cold.

Call me crazy but if you have to do a barrel pick to like the product, that's kind of what I'm talking about.

One man's trash is another man's treasure and all I'm saying is most of the Barton I've tasted hasn't clicked with my palate. You and I ought to know that Joe based on your colorful rum reviewing.

I'll keep trying with Barton. I want to love them.

• I like it 1

I'm thinking Kentucky Owl Rye for a start. They had rye like that in the warehouses, and they don't even sell a rye!

I'd rather have Cream Of Kentucky than anything I've tasted out of Barton's official releases.

I've had one great pick of Barton before. And I like Sweet Wheat. So far everything else has left me cold.

Call me crazy but if you have to do a barrel pick to like the product, that's kind of what I'm talking about.

One man's trash is another man's treasure and all I'm saying is most of the Barton I've tasted hasn't clicked with my palate. You and I ought to know that Joe based on your colorful rum reviewing.

I'll keep trying with Barton. I want to love them.

Pretty sure they are bottling Barton Rye as CEHT Rye, not that I don't prefer KO Rye 1 to it even with price factored in. 

Just now, PaulO said:

Black Tot, have you ever tried Very Old Barton B.I.B.?

I think I've tried the 6yr, it was a long time ago. I'll totally have some BIB the next time I'm in Kentucky. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Pretty sure they are bottling Barton Rye as CEHT Rye, not that I don't prefer KO Rye 1 to it even with price factored in. 

Ahhh, now that makes some more sense. 

If CEHT is Barton distilled, then they're not getting the reputation they deserve for at least THAT product. 

I also preferred the owl (this once! haha)

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I think I've tried the 6yr, it was a long time ago. I'll totally have some BIB the next time I'm in Kentucky. 

I'm a big fan of VOB BIB, not so much of the RR 1792 I've tried several times over the years.  Finally, just decided I like VOB better.  I have heard they are two different mash bills.

Relatively recently, Barton decided to drop the bonded designation.  Current release is 100 proof "crafted".  I have not tried the "crafted" yet.  

11 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Barton offered Fleischmann’s Rye for years, before changing over to a “Rye Mash Whiskey.  I think they may still offer that.  Of course, distribution was limited to like 5 neighborhoods in NE Wisconsin...  

And,  why on earth would you feel you stepped on any toes, and that what you said warranted an apology from you?!?!  As your friends, we were just stepping forward to help you back on to the path of correct thinking, and keep you from further embarrassment with your obviously incorrect opinion.  :D

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

And,  why on earth would you feel you stepped on any toes, and that what you said warranted an apology from you?!?!  As your friends, we were just stepping forward to help you back on to the path of correct thinking, and keep you from further embarrassment with your obviously incorrect opinion.  :D

So much gratitude right now...I'm all verklemped :) 

At the very least you have motivated me to give Barton a more serious chance. 

Everyone who reads this, has some good Barton, and meets me - pour me the glass that sets me on the right path.

Barton, if you're reading this - if you're making rye like Kentucky Owl (and even CEHT), make more of THAT, and release it somewhere. Also you need to distill about ten times the amount of Sweet Wheat.

Termites have had more great Barton than me - and it's not for lack of trying!

• I like it 1

So much gratitude right now...I'm all verklemped :) 

Eh, don’t mention it.  It’s what I do.  I’m a giver.  Now, Jeff...is just a bully.  :D

Edited by smokinjoe

Eh, don’t mention it.  It’s what I do.  I’m a giver.  Now, Jeff...is just a bully.  [emoji3]

LOL! [emoji23]
And Joe is just full of it...not sure what “it” is, but I think everyone that knows Joe understands what he’s full of! [emoji3][emoji850][emoji1634]

So much gratitude right now...I'm all verklemped [emoji4] 

At the very least you have motivated me to give Barton a more serious chance. 

Everyone who reads this, has some good Barton, and meets me - pour me the glass that sets me on the right path.

Barton, if you're reading this - if you're making rye like Kentucky Owl (and even CEHT), make more of THAT, and release it somewhere. Also you need to distill about ten times the amount of Sweet Wheat.

Termites have had more great Barton than me - and it's not for lack of trying!

Paul, If you can ever find time in your busy schedule to make it back to Bardstown in April, I’ll be more than happy to pour you some good 1792 (Barton) to try and set you on the right path! [emoji3][emoji12]
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Paul, If you can ever find time in your busy schedule to make it back to Bardstown in April, I’ll be more than happy to pour you some good 1792 (Barton) to try and set you on the right path! emoji3.pngemoji12.png

I'm targeting next year for a return so I think Paul needs to do the same.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Promises, promises???? <_< 

But seriously... it would be nice to see you again. How many years has it been now?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Barton offered Fleischmann’s Rye for years, before changing over to a “Rye Mash Whiskey.  I think they may still offer that.  Of course, distribution was limited to like 5 neighborhoods in NE Wisconsin... 

I don't know for sure, but I believe Fleischmann's Rye is now "blended". :blink:

Also and FWIW, I've actually found Fleischmann's Rye somewhat recently, at a couple of places outside of its normally small central Wisconsin area triangle of distribution. WTF? :huh:

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Promises, promises???? <_< 

But seriously... it would be nice to see you again. How many years has it been now?

Biba! Joe

LOL! It's been two years maybe three?

The difference between targeting next year versus previous years is that I'm putting a priority on this over my group's spring barrel pick. I've done so many barrel picks at this point and will do many more. It's time to hang out with the SB family again.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, flahute said:

These days I'm more targetED than targetING. The high seas have me by the throat.

But I do need to get back to the gazebo. If I'm on land, I'm there.

Edit: To put it in perspective, I missed this year because I'd been on a boat for two weeks already before the sampler...

...I'm still typing from that boat right now.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 2

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

LOL! It's been two years maybe three?

The difference between targeting next year versus previous years is that I'm putting a priority on this over my group's spring barrel pick. I've done so many barrel picks at this point and will do many more. It's time to hang out with the SB family again.

And that’s what this place is all about. :) As others have said, SB isn’t just about bourbon. It’s about friends and yes, family. Can’t wait til next spring. 

Bib! Joe

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

And that’s what this place is all about. :) As others have said, SB isn’t just about bourbon. It’s about friends and yes, family. Can’t wait til next spring. 

Bib! Joe

I attended my first ever sampler as a relative newbie and you all made me feel enormously welcome as if I was a veteran. That's how SB rolls.

Can't wait to come back and see you all again.

• I like it 4

On 12/26/2018 at 4:03 AM, The Black Tot said:

25oz/1.5oz = 16 x $20 = $300 a bottle plus a sip left over for themselves. 

Generous folk. Quite an "opportunity". For someone, at least.

The mark up on beer is higher but I get your over all point. 

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

The mark up on beer is higher but I get your over all point. 

Not at the beer store it isn't.

This was at a liquor store.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.